Just Returned from A Weekend of Amtraking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I just returned from Chicago where for 3 days I rode on about 15-20 different Trains, Commuters, Els, and Subways (mostly Els and Subways to get the number that high) I think I went around the loop about 6-8 times over the three days. Anyway, fellow forum poster, rmadisonwi and I also had the first annual Amtrak Forum Reunion as we met for a meal on Friday evening and discussed a lot of you folks! (I won't tell you what was said. :p )

As a preamble to the trip report, here are a couple of interesting pictures for review and comment.

73402479-L.jpg

Notice anything strange about the Texas eagle as she leaves Chicago on Friday evening?

73402494-L.jpg

Here is the Cabbage on 353 that I was on from Battle Creek to CUS. I had a chance to talk with the conductor and a LSA about 350 hitting the truck a few days back. They told me they heard the engineer actually jumped from the Cabbage Car before it hit the truck. Is that possible? Something they are taught to do?

73402502-L.jpg

Here is one of the most beat-up Ponys I have seen. It had so much debris and bird feathers on the front you'd think it had run through a chicken farm!

Hope to have the trip report in the next couple of days.

If you are interested in all my picturess from this trip, they are here.

Those are some great pictures. One regret I had with our trip is I didn't have a chance to wander around and check out the rail yards.

When we were at CUS, all of the benches were cleared out of the great hall. I was kind of disappointed to see it bare.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Dan

MrFSS said:
Notice anything strange about the Texas eagle as she leaves Chicago on Friday evening?
Consist looks a little bit scrambled. If I'm looking at this right, it looks like Sleeper, Diner, Sightseer, Sleeper, Coach, Coach, Coach, Coach, but I could be wrong...

Consist looks a little bit scrambled. If I'm looking at this right, it looks like Sleeper, Diner, Sightseer, Sleeper, Coach, Coach, Coach, Coach, but I could be wrong...
I don't have the eye to tell what cars are what, but what I noticed was no baggage car.

MrFSS said:
I don't have the eye to tell what cars are what, but what I noticed was no baggage car.
The Texas Eagle and the City of NO have stopped using baggage cars for a while now. They use the luggage compartment on one of the coaches for the checked baggage now. However it does seem there are 4 coaches yet it is probably carrying the two extra cars for the Sunset Limited.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back