KCY > CBS 2-zone blocked

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acelafan

Conductor
Tried to do an AGR redemption for KCY to CBS via LAX, PDX this evening for a trip in January. The representative put me on hold and when she came back she said it was a "2-plus-2" zone reward, meaning they were going to charge me 4 zones.

Anyone else have this problem? I asked to see where it stated on the website or in other literature about that redemption level, but the representative just said she didn't know of any written rules except that her supervisor said it would be a 4-zone redemption.

She said I could travel the other way and stay in Chicago at my own expense for a 1-zone reward but I said I didn't want to stay in Chicago at my own expense.

Any suggestions?

You redeem for the number of zones you travel through, in each direction. All redemptions are one way, so if you travel through two zones to get from KCY to LAX, then through two zones again from LAX/PDX to CBS, then there you are.

This should be only a 3 Zone Award (at one time is was actually a 1 Zone!) since you start in the Midwest Zone, travel to the West Zone and return to the Midwest Zone for a total of 3 Zones; it's a GREAT value in Roomette. Now if you break journey somewhere in the West Zone, then the clock resets and it becomes a 4 Zone. Call back and most likely another Agent/Supervisor will see it as such.

But because the redemptions are one-way, and a circle or continuous trip is not a mitigating factor, you end up with one two-zone one-way trip, and another two-zone one-way trip.

As was said,this was one of the Old 1 Zone"Loophole" Trips back in the day, I did it three times! :cool: (Would work as a 1 Zone from ABQ but the SWC can be Pricey if you pay KCY-ABQ!)

Suggestion: Do a KCY-LAX-PDX-WPT(SWC-CS-EB) as a 2 Zone Award, then WPT-CHI (why CBS???)as a 1 Zone Award, Total of 35,000 Points minus 5% if you have the AGR MC! This one should work, Ill be on a ELP-LAX-PDX-WPT 1 Zone Award next week! :)

Back