KCY Layover: Storing Luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skim

I'm planning a trip from STL to TOP with an intentionally long layover at KCY to explore the city. Amtrak's site claims the station has no lockers, and although the greater Union Station's website says it does, over the phone I was told they don't. The site references a locker as costing fifty cents, meaning that even if they exist, they probably couldn't hold my large travel bag.

What do frequent Amtrak passengers do about this? Is there a place nearby that can hold luggage?

Thanks in advance for any help.

When I did a layover in 2008 for the same reason I found the lockers in the basement of the station. They were very small and would not able to handle my large suitcase. If you check the archives of this forum, this topic has been discusion before.

Most of the lockers downstairs are broken, and, as mentioned, they are very small (if you are able to find a working one). I would ask at the ticket counter and see if they will hold your bags. They do have checked luggage there, so they do have the facilities to store them. I've had them hold bags for me in the past; I believe they charged $1 or $2 per bag to do this.

check the baggage policy

http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241267371727

most stations will hold for a fee ($4) in the baggage department(for ticketed customer)...indeed before this fall's baggage policy change you could wait to claim a bag up to 48 hours for free...

This all assumes when you may layover you mean under 24 hours....

I've day checked my bag in Kansas City before the SW chief, arriving around 1pm and paid the $3 to two extremely nice and friendly agents.

When I got back at 10:15pm to pick up my bag and board, the agent greeted me with "You're lucky I'm still here, you were supposed to be back by 9:30. The day agents must have forgotten to tell you." (that time might be off might have been 9:45). She was equally annoyed when I also asked for my ticket that the day agents decided not to print (they did confirm I had a reservation) so "You don't have to worry about losing it."

Annoying - I've found myself similarly annoyed by the luggage situation at LAUS, where there is one agent (which half the time is gone dealing with checked baggage). They close the baggage room at 9:30 (or at least that's what I was told, even though the website says 10:30) even though there are trains arriving/departing after that. Very annoying when I want to daytrip from SAN and leave on 796 (let alone the 2am thruway bus, which I've had as my backup plan in case I miss the train). Wish it was like CHI with automated lockers (though even there the stupid thumbprint recognition is always a hassle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back