Keystones: "Severe Weather" schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fairviewroad

Engineer
I noticed that with the Oct 24-dated timetable, Amtrak now has designated certain Keystone trains with an "(s)" which is explained thusly:

During Severe Weather
On weekdays during periods of severe weather and other service
disruptions, only the trains indicated in the darker orange shading
and (S) after the train number will operate. Events on weekends
should not affect normal schedules.
I know of several commuter rail agencies that have a similarly designate certain trains as being the severe weather or service disruption trains, but I don't think I've ever seen it on an Amtrak timetable before.

I'm not sure what to think of it. I can appreciate the clarity it would bring to customers when you can simply announce that "due to tomorrow's predicted snowstorm, we'll be running the severe weather schedule." OTOH, it's another detail that adds to an already cluttered timetable. I think they ought to have a separate weekday and weekend timetable for the Keystones, like they do with some of the other corridor services.

I noticed that with the Oct 24-dated timetable, Amtrak now has designated certain Keystone trains with an "(s)" which is explained thusly:

During Severe WeatherOn weekdays during periods of severe weather and other service

disruptions, only the trains indicated in the darker orange shading

and (S) after the train number will operate. Events on weekends

should not affect normal schedules.
I know of several commuter rail agencies that have a similarly designate certain trains as being the severe weather or service disruption trains, but I don't think I've ever seen it on an Amtrak timetable before.

I'm not sure what to think of it. I can appreciate the clarity it would bring to customers when you can simply announce that "due to tomorrow's predicted snowstorm, we'll be running the severe weather schedule." OTOH, it's another detail that adds to an already cluttered timetable. I think they ought to have a separate weekday and weekend timetable for the Keystones, like they do with some of the other corridor services.

I agree. I'd like to see a return to the weekday/weekend panel. Of course, we'll be lucky if they still make an actual timetable.

I wonder if this is because of that nasty snowstorm that brought over 2 feet of snow across central and eastern PA on January 23. I was supposed to take the Keystone to visit my cousin in Brooklyn, but cancelled a couple days in advance. Good thing I did, I would have never made it to ELT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back