LA to DC - Routing Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the help --- I'm leaving on my trip on Saturday (although the train portion doesn't start until later).

I'm very much looking forward to it, but currently stressing over how to get everything I need for a 4 day cruise plus 3 day train trip into a carry on + personal item. I keep trying to remind myself that minimalism is the key.

I'm very much looking forward to it, but currently stressing over how to get everything I need for a 4 day cruise plus 3 day train trip into a carry on + personal item. I keep trying to remind myself that minimalism is the key.
That and a roll of quarters for the laundromat!

@ehbowen - You hit the nail on the head. The great debate is whether I can contrive to pack so that I won't need to do laundry --- the only time I'd be able to do wash would be on the cruise and who wants to waste cruising time waiting for the dryer to finish?

Also debating leaving my Chromebook at home. I can't remember the last time I traveled without at least one laptop, but maybe I don't need it this trip.

Check and see what your cruise line offers in the way of laundry service. That, and when we were on our big 2-week trip last September the B&B we stayed in pointed us to a local laundromat which offered "wash & fold" service. We just dropped our dirty laundry off, went to have dinner, and picked it up a couple of hours later all clean and folded. Definitely worth the price of admission!

My full trip is 9 days, 8 nights. 1 night in LA, 4 nights on cruise ship, 3 nights on the trains.

I have taken 14 day and 16 day trips, with 7 - 8 nights on the train, so I pack for a worse case, but hope I find a washer/dryer someplace. A front desk pointed me to a wash/fold service that would drop the finished clothes off at the front desk if I took them over. It is amazing how helpful some people are.

I am happy to report that I am all packed - had more space than I anticipated so I was able to bring along an extra light-weight sweater and will probably end up bringing the chromebook as well. I can survive with no laundry, if needed. Really looking forward to the trip and my first long-distance train experience.

I am happy to report that I am all packed - had more space than I anticipated so I was able to bring along an extra light-weight sweater and will probably end up bringing the chromebook as well. I can survive with no laundry, if needed. Really looking forward to the trip and my first long-distance train experience.
HAVE FUN!!!

HAVE FUN!!!
I second that suggestion!

(... and I should tell you that I met Rail Freak in the Pacific Parlour Car on the Coast Starlight many years ago, and he's the one that told me I should get in this forum, so here I am, LOL!)

Thanks for all of the advice everyone --- I'm at Union Station in LAX waiting for the Southwest Chief to start boarding. It looks like delays have been affecting the route enough that the Southwest Chief has been misconnecting with both the Cardinal and Capitol most days recently.

My backup plan A is the Capitol departing Chicago at 6:40PM

Backup plan B is the Lakeshore Limited departing CHI for NYP at 9:30PM connecting to a NE Regional or Acela or Vermonter (or whatever train runs that corridor that I've forgotten).

If the Southwest Chief is delayed enough that I can't connect to the Lakeshore Limited in Chicago, any insight on what happens? I assume they will book me for whatever is available the next day (Cardinal or Capitol). Would they put me up in a hotel room in Chicago for the night? Or would I be responsible for making arrangements for the overnight in Chicago? Also, who do I see in Chicago if I misconnect and need to be rebooked.

Thanks in advance - I'm pretty laid back about it, it will be what it will be and worst case scenario is that I get an overnight in Chi. Just wondering what to expect/what the procedures are in the event of a delay/misconnect.

If your connection is on the same reservation number, Amtrak will rebook your ongoing reservations itself and also provide a hotel as well a voucher for cash for cab fare and meals. They may provide some kind shuttle bus to the hotel, depends on how many misconnecting passengers they have. You'll probably be advised by an announcement on the train prior to arrival to go to Passenger Services at Chicago Union Station, which will have your revised reservation and hotel. They often used to board Passenger Services representatives down the line and do that onboard,but the last few times I misconnected in Chicago they had stopped doing that. I don't know if Passenger Services is still in the same place, they've been moving things around in CUS lately.

Amtrak will take of the rebooking and you'd go to passenger services even if you were in time for the Lakeshore if you are reserved on the Capitol (which I assume you are.

If the two segments are not on the same reservation, you may well be on your own. I have heard that sometimes Amtrak can put it together and handle you the same way as if you were on the same reservation, but I would not count on that. If they are separate reservations, be prepared that Amtrak said they'd get you to Chicago and they got you to Chicago, and you're on own.

I have misconnected in Chicago more times than I can count. Amtrak is pretty good about taking care of you.

Thank you for all the information! I'm on one ticket currently scheduled on the Cardinal, so it should all go relatively smoothly even if there is a delay.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but don't have a lot of hope. We're already falling behind schedule and we are still in CA and haven't hit the area where they expect to have slow downs.

It's going to be close on the connection. Amtrak is currently showing an arrival time of 5pm. And that seems optimistic given that we aren't even to Galesburg yet. But keeping my fingers crossed.

The trip itself has been great so far. Gorgeous scenery - especially in parts of NM and Colorado. I'm hoping to write up a longer post with my impressions once I have my computer and a wifi connection.

Nervous times!!! But you'll laugh when you look back. If I could avoid the connection worries, I'd have a more enjoyable trip. That's why I may include Hotels @ connections as a buffer in the future, as much as I hate paying the $$$ just for a place to lay my head !!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha. I'm trying not to worry about it because que sera sera. But that's easier said than done.

The scenery in the mid-west is less impressive to me. Probably because I've driven all over this section of the country on back roads and have seen my fill of endless corn fields.

Made the connection with about 10 minutes to spare. Luckily they were on tracks directly next to each other, so it was easy. They also had an agent with a giant sign to catch folks as they were coming off the platform and direct us to the right train. I'm in an aisle seat for this leg --- already missing the upstairs window seat I had from LA to CHI. But, internet is making me happy - between the cruise and the long train ride this might be the longest I've gone without internet access in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back