LA to DC - Routing Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eliza

I've been wanting to do a cross-country train trip for some time, but timing has never worked out. My vacation schedule just aligned so that this July I will be able to take the train from LA to DC. I'll be traveling coach, unfortunately, but looking forward to the adventure.

My plan is to take the California Zephyr from Los Angeles to Chicago. There I can connect to either the Capitol Limited or the Cardinal --- which would you recommend?

I've done overnight Amtrak travel on the LSL between Chi and Erie, PA a number of times, so I have some experience, but I've never done a longer trip --- any general advice for surviving coach for that long would also be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Travels!

And, of course, I meant I'm taking the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago, not the Zephyr.

Well I have a similar trip planned from LA to PHL and I chose the Texas Eagle and the Cardinal. The Cardinal goes through a beautiful range of mountains in West Virginia and I was kind of looking for excuses to ride it. :giggle:

For you though, the connection between the SWC and the Cardinal is tightER but still guaranteed. If the Cardinal is available on that day I would still book it. If the connection is missed they can always put you on the Capitol Limited.

Eta: another possibility is the dreaded bustitution from Galesburg to Indianapolis. It's a six hour bus ride and it will get you to connect to the Cardinal if the SWC is very late. I would personally take that option over the Capitol Limited because the Cardinal is very high on my priority list. :) Ymmv.

Happy travels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Either take the Cardinal (via Indianapolis, Cincinatti, Clifton Forge) or the Capitol Ltd (via Toledo, Pittsburgh, Cumberland). However, only the latter runs daily as of right now, although there are efforts to make it daily. If you want flexibility, take the Cap Ltd. If you don't mind, take the Cardinal, but by doing so get ready for a more rigid travel dates and higher ticket prices. However, if I were you, I'd take the Cardinal from Chicago to DC, as the views are spectacular on the Cardinal.

A few suggestions would be to take some non-perishable foods with you, and also bring something like a sweater or jacket that you can roll up and use as a pillow. Getting a window seat helps. Try to have at least some meals in the Dining Car. (Breakfast is the most reasonable meal.

For you though, the connection between SWC and Cardinal is tightER. But if Cardinal is available on that day I would still book Cardinal. That way in worst scenario if the connection is missed they would just put you on Capitol Limited.

Happy travels!
The CL only gives you less than one extra hour of leeway (5:45pm to 6:40pm). Worst worst would be LSL (9:30pm) to NYP and then regional rail to WAS.

I have taken both the Cardinal and the Cap Ltd. As a first-time rider on each, I found both trips to be beautiful. Given a choice of which to take a second time, I would take the Cardinal again. It's a different kind of train -- slower, a more folksy feel to the people riding it AND the stations passed. And the scenery is drop-dead gorgeous all day! Be prepared for a few miles of rocketing and slamming along a jointed track.

Going Coach or Sleeper I would suggest multiple outlet so you can plug in your electronics, more than one at a time. A sleep mask to block out light, in case someone nearby is watching a movie. Ear plugs help block out talking or someone playing their device too loud. A pillow or something soft that be rolled up by a sweatshirt. Have layers for hot and cold times on the train. Typically night is cold. A couple bottles of water that hold back for use when you need something to drink and the cafe is closed. Snacks like the Lance PB or Cheese crackers don't take much space. At Walgreens they have packages of body wipes like are used in the hospital that you can used for bathing and feeling clean. Have your toiletries bag easy to access. Doing this is refreshing and improves your trip. Noise canceling headphones for your music and.or videos. I listen to music while watching the scenery pass by. If you get the window, you are next to the outlet and you most likely can control the curtain at the window. It is most annoying to have people keep the curtains closed all day long so you can not see anything. I set my meds up for each day in little snack bags so I can easily take them with me if I eat in the DC. I use a thick black marker to label each bag. Eat breakfast in the DC, less expensive and is filling. I get in before 7 so there is no waiting to be called. Also, I enjoy watching the sun come up while I am eating. Have a great trip. Take lots of pictures, you can always delete some afterwards.

Two years ago we did LA to DC round trip ... LA to Chicago on the Texas Eagle then the Capitol Limited to DC. The return was the Capitol Limited to Chicago and back to LA on the Southwest Chief. On this particular trip the connections in Chicago worked out well.

Two different routes just to "bag" two different routes and have different scenery. I enjoyed the extra time on the train by taking the Texas Eagle!

Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies.

Either take the Cardinal (via Indianapolis, Cincinatti, Clifton Forge) or the Capitol Ltd (via Toledo, Pittsburgh, Cumberland). However, only the latter runs daily as of right now, although there are efforts to make it daily. If you want flexibility, take the Cap Ltd. If you don't mind, take the Cardinal, but by doing so get ready for a more rigid travel dates and higher ticket prices. However, if I were you, I'd take the Cardinal from Chicago to DC, as the views are spectacular on the Cardinal.

I have taken both the Cardinal and the Cap Ltd. As a first-time rider on each, I found both trips to be beautiful. Given a choice of which to take a second time, I would take the Cardinal again. It's a different kind of train -- slower, a more folksy feel to the people riding it AND the stations passed. And the scenery is drop-dead gorgeous all day! Be prepared for a few miles of rocketing and slamming along a jointed track.

On my date of travel, both Cardinal and Cap Ltd were available and both were the same price. I think I'm going to go for the Cardinal for the scenery and for the general atmosphere.

Going Coach or Sleeper I would suggest multiple outlet so you can plug in your electronics, more than one at a time. A sleep mask to block out light, in case someone nearby is watching a movie. Ear plugs help block out talking or someone playing their device too loud. A pillow or something soft that be rolled up by a sweatshirt. Have layers for hot and cold times on the train. Typically night is cold. A couple bottles of water that hold back for use when you need something to drink and the cafe is closed. Snacks like the Lance PB or Cheese crackers don't take much space. At Walgreens they have packages of body wipes like are used in the hospital that you can used for bathing and feeling clean. Have your toiletries bag easy to access. Doing this is refreshing and improves your trip. Noise canceling headphones for your music and.or videos. I listen to music while watching the scenery pass by. If you get the window, you are next to the outlet and you most likely can control the curtain at the window. It is most annoying to have people keep the curtains closed all day long so you can not see anything. I set my meds up for each day in little snack bags so I can easily take them with me if I eat in the DC. I use a thick black marker to label each bag. Eat breakfast in the DC, less expensive and is filling. I get in before 7 so there is no waiting to be called. Also, I enjoy watching the sun come up while I am eating. Have a great trip. Take lots of pictures, you can always delete some afterwards.

A few suggestions would be to take some non-perishable foods with you, and also bring something like a sweater or jacket that you can roll up and use as a pillow. Getting a window seat helps. Try to have at least some meals in the Dining Car. (Breakfast is the most reasonable meal.

Thanks for the suggestions on what to bring. I'm flying out to LA, then doing a cruise, before taking the train back so it's going to take some intelligent packing. I'll definitely be making a stop for snacks/food/water in LA before heading to the train station. Probably a dumb question, but can you bring on alcohol or do you need to buy on board? I'm most looking forward to relaxing with a full kindle, the scenery passing by, and a glass of wine.

If you need "to resupply" while in Chicago, there's a CVS 1/2 block away and a Walgreens 1 block away from Union Station. Both have snacks and ready made foods also.

Personal alcohol can only be consumed in the privacy of your room.
At least that is Amtrak's stated policy.No doubt, they would prefer you buy from them.

As a practical matter many coach passengers consume private stock alcohol at their seats and OBS leave them be as long as they are not indiscreet, over-indulging, or in some other way causing problems.

None the less, being discrete and/or using a plastic Amtrak cup gotten from the Lounge car Café is a way to make it easy for OBS to ignore that you are technically breaking the rules by consuming private stock alcohol - if they even notice what you are doing.

I pack an 8 oz stainless steel wine glass that I use all day to sip water.

Other passengers and OBS see me putting water in it often at the water dispenser in the coach car and in the SSL car.

At night my metal wine glass has some of my private stock alcohol in it instead of water.

The Sunset/Limited/Texas Eagle between LA and San Antonio is a scenic trip.

Between San Antonio and Chicago on the Texas Eagle is way less scenic. Much of the route has trees immediately adjacent to the train tracks blocking the view.

I did LA to Chicago earlier this month - May 3 to May 6.

If the timing works for you I would book the Sunset Limited LA to New Orleans, spend the night, and then take the Crescent in the morning.

Here is NOL Amtrak station and nearby hostels:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/new+orleans+hostels/@29.9461862,-90.0788379,18.5z

http://thequisby.com/

Registered, so no longer a guest!

The Sunset/Limited/Texas Eagle between LA and San Antonio is a scenic trip.

Between San Antonio and Chicago on the Texas Eagle is way less scenic. Much of the route has trees immediately adjacent to the train tracks blocking the view.

I did LA to Chicago earlier this month - May 3 to May 6.

If the timing works for you I would book the Sunset Limited LA to New Orleans, spend the night, and then take the Crescent in the morning.

Here is NOL Amtrak station and nearby hostels:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/new+orleans+hostels/@29.9461862,-90.0788379,18.5z

http://thequisby.com/
Thanks -- unfortunately the timing on that route doesn't work for this particular trip --- but I'll definitely keep it in mind for a possible routing in the future.

That makes sense.

At least that is Amtrak's stated policy.
No doubt, they would prefer you buy from them.

As a practical matter many coach passengers consume private stock alcohol at their seats and OBS leave them be as long as they are not indiscreet, over-indulging, or in some other way causing problems.
None the less, being discrete and/or using a plastic Amtrak cup gotten from the Lounge car Café is a way to make it easy for OBS to ignore that you are technically breaking the rules by consuming private stock alcohol - if they even notice what you are doing.

I pack an 8 oz stainless steel wine glass that I use all day to sip water.
Other passengers and OBS see me putting water in it often at the water dispenser in the coach car and in the SSL car.
At night my metal wine glass has some of my private stock alcohol in it instead of water.
That also makes sense. :-D

If you need "to resupply" while in Chicago, there's a CVS 1/2 block away and a Walgreens 1 block away from Union Station. Both have snacks and ready made foods also.
Thanks --- that's my plan (assuming the trains are running on time). If we manage to get in right on time or early, I'm hoping to pop over to the Giordano's on Jackson for deep dish.

I have taken both the Cardinal and the Capitol Limited. My Sleeping Car Attendant on the Capitol Limited said that the eastbound train has the best views of the Youghiogheny River. (I was on the westbound train...) The Cardinal crosses the New River Gorge which is really beautiful. It has a bad reputation though as far as OTP (on-time performance) is concerned. My train was several hours late into New York's Penn Station.

Eastbound CL is one of my favorites during the fall but the Cardinal views are great too, but there is no SSL, therefore I prefer the CL eastbound and Cardinal westbound.

Eastbound CL is one of my favorites during the fall but the Cardinal views are great too, but there is no SSL, therefore I prefer the CL eastbound and Cardinal westbound.
Forgive my complete ignorance, but what is SSL?

Forgive my complete ignorance, but what is SSL?
Sightseer Lounge
Thanks! Good to know ---- I'm finding out that the more I learn --- the more I understand how much I still don't know. But, I'm looking forward to the trip and glad to have found some likeminded folks who enjoy long travel. My mom called and asked if I wanted to borrow money because she assumed I was taking the train instead of flying to save cash. I had to explain that the train ticket was actually more than flying. She now just thinks I'm nuts.

When you fly you do not get to see this beautiful country. Often we are too busy to appreciate the land we are blessed to live in. You will experience the ever changing landscape.

I just finished LA to DC myself. I took Southwest Chief, and stopped off for 4 days in Santa Fe (the stop is LMY) before continuing to CHI. I stayed there for 4 days, then took Capitol Limited to DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back