LA Union to be a thruway station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been rumored before - perhaps this is more concrete.:D I recalled some of the proposals while looking around there last Saturday. There were several drawings/concepts online in the past on how it was to be done, including removing some buildings currently in the path. One previous proposal had the tracks going under the freeway; this seems to be the opposite.

I apologize for not knowing this, but what exactly is a thruway station?
Through station (with tracks running through) as opposed to a Terminal station (with bumper posts on all tracks). Admittedly "Thruway" is an odd term to use for such, and gives the impression that it has something to do with more Amtrak Thruway bus service serving the station.

I apologize for not knowing this, but what exactly is a thruway station?

I suspect that should read "through" or "run-through" station rather than "Thruway" station. A Thruway station would presumably be a station served by Amtrak Thruway buses, with Los Angeles already is. A through or run-through station is a station where (at least some of) the tracks do not terminate at the station.

ISTR that locations were historically labeled as "Terminal" or "Stations". For example, Grand Central was built as Grand Central Terminal, as it was the end of the line, trains did not go through. Pennsylvania Station always had some trains which stopped then continued to a destination.

I love the Los Angeles facility, I had never thought about it as being one or the other. Did the trains such as the Lark and others to San Diego and points South not go through LAUPT?

As I type this, I know I have ridden from LAUPT to Anaheim, San Diego and other places. So is it a Terminal because AMTRAK terminates there, or is there no connection to newer rails such as the commuters?

Looks like i am gonna have to fire up GoogleEarth on the big monitor. That picture of the engine hanging over the edge is a keeper. B-R-R-R-R!

Currently there is no connection out of LAUS to the South. Trains to the South depart heading North. The entire station throat turns East just outside the station. The southbound trains turn South at CP Mission (Mission Tower).

My suspicion is that LAUPT was changed to LAUS in anticipation of the southbound exit from the station coming to fruition. Also in a small way it is already a through station, at least for the Gold Line.

ISTR that locations were historically labeled as "Terminal" or "Stations". For example, Grand Central was built as Grand Central Terminal, as it was the end of the line, trains did not go through. Pennsylvania Station always had some trains which stopped then continued to a destination.

Chattanooga TN had “Southern Railroad Terminal Station.” (Now the Chattanooga Choo Choo complex).

Through station (with tracks running through) as opposed to a Terminal station (with bumper posts on all tracks). Admittedly "Thruway" is an odd term to use for such, and gives the impression that it has something to do with more Amtrak Thruway bus service serving the station.
Until I clicked on the link, based on the title, I thought it was related to Thruway buses. Something like massive expansion of Thruway buses or something.

Well the station was built to handle 70K people per day. At one point it was nearly deserted during the 70/80 and currently handles 100K+ passengers per weekday. And now they are forecasting 200K+ per weekday in the future. With increased Metrolink service and the recent trend of millennials moving out to the suburbs (Hit 30's and had kids), I'm guessing it could easily blow past 300K, assuming their aversion to traffic and cars ownership remains intact.

Currently there is no connection out of LAUS to the South. Trains to the South depart heading North. The entire station throat turns East just outside the station. The southbound trains turn South at CP Mission (Mission Tower).

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it!

Back