Lake Shore Limited and Empire Builder from NYC to Portland with Glacier stop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chellerz

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi everyone! I took the below notes from my trip this summer. I'm no travel writer, but thought I'd share in case it's useful for anyone. For context - I'm a woman in my late 40s and made this trip alone. I live in NYC and had to go to Portland for work, and decided to take the train. I'd only ever been on one long-distance Amtrak before (a bedroom on Silver Star) and this was my first roomette ride.

TL;DR - I loved it and can't wait for my next trip! :)

---

THURSDAY

I’m on board Train 49 Lake Shore Limited bound for Chicago! I’m in car 4911 Roomette 2. I’m in a Viewliner I with the toilet next to me. Kind of icky but everything looks really clean.

The Metropolitan Lounge in Moynahan was lovely. Very unexpected for being in Penn Station! I’be been through Penn hundreds (actually prob over 1000) times, mostly on NJT, a couple dozen on Amtrak. It’s one heck of an upgrade!

The roomette is taller than I thought. My carry-on hardside luggage fits perfectly in the cubby over the door. I’m going to wipe everything down now becauseI brought all these Clorox wipes. Might as well!

Don’t know which direction we’re traveling in yet. Don’t want to bother the the attendant as he’s busy. He just had to evict someone from a bedroom and give them the bad news that they’re supposed to be in a roomette. Not that the roomettes aren’t nice - just that it’s def a downgrade from a bedroom!

ok, wiped my roomette with the Clorox wipes and let’s just say I’m glad I did. It wasn’t quite as clean as I’d thought.🙂

I want to close my roomette door but not sure if that’s rude as we haven’t left yet.

Car 4912 is a Viewliner II.

Rob Jones - SCA - seems super nice. Coming down Hall now to answer questions. An Amtrak employee waved to me as the train headed out of the station which made me 🙂 .

3:52 - and we’re on our way! Roomette 2 is on the left side so I’ll have a Hudson view. I’ve taken Empire Service in business class a number of times but never managed to get the left side window seat so I’m happy.🙂

The people next to me caught heck from Rob about coming late and not checking their baggage. Oops. Rob is putting it in the vestibule. They’ll never be late for a train again!

Rob gave my neighbors the whole spiel about where the light switches are etc. I listened in so he wouldn’t have to repeat himself. I wanted to get to the point as quickly as possible where I could close my door and truly begin my quiet vacay. Plus I admit I love that Rob surveyed my roomette and looked at me and said “you good?” I guess he thought I looked like I knew what I was doing. It felt like getting a good star on my homework. 🤓

Speaking of quiet, I’m shocked at how quiet this roomette is! No comparison to the clang-bang-squeal of the Silver Star bedroom in February. So far so good!

One annoyance though - there’s a dumb sticker on the window right in my line of sight. Amtrak didn’t put it there but I wish they’d take it away!

Temp is perfect - about 70 even though it’s 80 outside and the sun is streaming in my window.

We’re rolling faster now and there are some occasional noises from the door and upper bunk. I brought a couple of pieces of cardboard from an Amazon box that brought me trip supplies to use as shims. I stuck a folded piece in the door and it’s silent again. Perfect!

Huh! I just turned the lever and pushed it higher and now it’s silent again. The noises weren’t bad - it’s almost just a game to figure out how to stop them.🙂

Just went through the middle of Sing Sing. It must be so hard to be incarcerated while hearing the sounds of travel. The train whistled right as we were going through. That would kill me to hear.

Pulling into Croton-Harmon. There’s a big maintenance yard here I’ve never noticed before. Looks like it’s mostly Metro North trains in it. Then again Sunnyside Yards mostly has LIRR and NJT trains in it. (My office windows look out directly onto Sunnyside Yards, just a bit before the loop, so I’m very familiar with the trains there). Nothing on my map apps to help me figure out what kind of yard that is. Will look later. (ETA: it’s an old NY Central maintenance yard!)

I brought binoculars but can’t focus on anything yet. I’m not good at using them on stable ground, so I have low hopes for my train ride! But I’ll try… (edited later to add - I don't think binoculars are worth bringing. Too hard to focus while moving).

The Hudson is agitated today. Maybe because of the big thunderstorms we had this afternoon. It’s such a beautiful mighty river. It looks so much more tame in the city than it does up here.

The facial spritz i brought is a revelation. Love it!!! Highly recommend bringing one. I brought Mario Badescu Rosewater Mist. Feels great on my face in the dry train.

Ok so my phone is tired and needs a recharge. Let’s see…I brought a two-prong extension cord with 3 grounded outlets at the end of it (don’t @ me - I’m not an electrician). Now…where is the outlet in here! Ah - finally found it. It’s to the left of the sink and was obscured by the curtain. I almost had to call for Rob, which would have obliterated my rail-cred and necessitated the return of aforementioned gold star . 😉

Rob warned us that there’s no using the bathrooms on here while in Albany as we won’t have power as they hook up the Boston portion of the train. I went and found the bathrooms on 4912 but they were occupied so I went up to the ones past the dining car. The dining car is so nice and light-filled! Lots of folks having fun in there. I’ll enjoy it later.

Might need a restroom again before Albany. Do I dare try the one in my roomette??? I should, right? I’ll think about it…

Here’s a good time to admit that I brought a six pack and it’s half gone. This is my vacation, after all!!! It’s been a BRUTAL 2+ years, and this is my first truly relaxing trip since before the pandemic. I find myself already worrying that it’s going to fast, and I’m not even in Albany yet!!! 😆

6:40
In Albany. It’s hot as Hades outside! I walked up and down the train but missed when they brought in the Boston cars from 449. Must have been when I was scrubbing the sticker off my window — which I successfully did!!! You’re welcome, future riders in 4911 Roomette 2. 😊

Back to listening to my audiobook: Amtrak: America’s Railroad. Boring narrator but good info.

Just put up a "Have a nice day" sign in my newly-cleaned window. Feeling very happy to not have that sticker gunk in my way. Also feeling grateful to the people of amtraktrains.com for prepping me so well for this voyage!

FRIDAY

Fell asleep in after and barely woke up until Toledo!

Slept on the upper bunk which was roomy. It did sway a bit but not often. Availed myself of the in-loo commode in the middle of the night and have a newfound appreciation for the Viewliner I roomette now!

Gaffers tape over the vents is essential. I didn’t like it constantly blowing on me. (Update - I just now realized there’s a lever to close the vents! Even better!)

Arrived in Chicago close to schedule and had time to kill. Walked around, went to buy eye drops (my contacts kept getting dry from the airflow!), ordered a traditional Italian beef sandwich from Al’s to get delivered to me outside Union Station. It was delish! The food at the Metropolitan Lounge was just some pre-packaged snacks. Penn/Moynahan was much better.

Boarded the Empire Builder and settled into my roomette. Much less spacious than the one in the Viewliner, mostly due to lower ceiling height. I’m surprised but I miss my commode and personal in-roomette sink! I brought pre-moistened face cloths which have been lovely to use on my face, hands, neck, etc. Very refreshing.

Part of the reason I'm loving using my facial spritz is because my roomette is boiling. It’s in the 90s outside and the sun is streaming into my left-side roomette. I’ve been trying to keep the curtains closed but that defeats the purpose of taking the train!

Loved going through Wisconsin although I think the right side had better views. I kept nosily peaking through the hallway into my neighbor’s roomette.

I chose to have dinner in my roomette. I needed some solitude which is why I’m taking this trip, and just wasn’t feeling like chatting. I had the Mexican soufflé which was really yummy, and the chicken breast which was strange and yucky. Potato sticks as a topping? Nah. I didn’t finish it, but the food comes in large portions so I wasn’t hungry. I couldn’t even eat my dessert, which I saved and had as a midnight snack when I woke up in St Paul. It was the lemon cake and it was super good!

I fell asleep early and because of the heat I had to leave my roomette door open. The door between our car and the next had to stay open because it wasn’t opening and closing properly, which contributed to the heat problem as well as added lots of noise from the vestibule. Roomette 9 (mine) is the closest to that door. I admit that at this point I was feeling annoyed that Amtrak had downgraded me into this roomette from the Family Bedroom I’d booked TEN MONTHS AGO. They did refund me a few hundred bucks though so I guess I shouldn’t feel bad about the money I’ve been spending elsewhere on this trip.🙂 I brought earplugs which turned out to be ESSENTIAL. I opted not to bring a clip-on fan but that was a big mistake. A little air flow would have gone a long way to increase my comfort. Next time for sure! And I usually run cold...

(continued...)

Last edited:
(part 2)

SATURDAY

I set my watch to beep when we got to Fargo around 4am. I’ve never been to ND before and wanted to see Fargo if only from the window. Luckily (depending on how you look at it I suppose) I woke up at the stops at St Paul and Red Wing, so I got to see those too. Yay! I fell right back to sleep afterwards and didn’t wake up until Fargo. I was too excited to sleep after that so I watched ND roll by as the sun rose. So peaceful. Went to an early breakfast expecting to be alone, but a couple was soon seated across from me despite there being tons of open booths. Debbie and Gene were super nice and interesting and I enjoyed my time with them, but of course we talked about what we do for work and I wanted to put work out of my mind completely for just a few days. It was worth it to meet them though.🙂

I went to the SSL around 7:30 and it was already busy. They’ve made at least 3 announcements about people needing to leave if they’ve been there for a while. I didn’t stay because I was feeling tired. Went back and chilled, and decided to keep my lower level bed down all day. Loved that! After the stretch break down in Minot I took the most delicious nap!

I brought a kindle filled with books to read and a phone filled with audiobooks. I’ve read one book (about the Ashtabula railway disaster) and have listened to one audiobook (about the history of Amtrak). But mostly I’m just looking out the windows and feeling peaceful. Other than the time I crossed the ocean on the Queen Mary 2 and stared at the sea, I’ve never felt so relaxed. This sure won't be my last LD train trip!!!

After Havre I checked out the SSL again, and with an adult beverage in hand from the cafe car, I there was actually room to sit down to enjoy it. I’ve walked through a few times just to stretch my legs, and saw a few of the same families spread out every time. I don’t blame them for staying there so long, though. They looked like they were having so much fun playing cards and doing puzzles together. I don’t know if they were asked to leave or decided to on their own, but I admit it’s nice to have some space in here.

I brought my National Parks passport book and I hope there’s a docent here later to cancel it! Yes I’m a dork. (Note: there was no docent on this trip for the Empire Builder stamp 😞 but of course I got my stamp at Glacier.)

I have to say the scenery hasn’t been spectacular so far, but it's been pretty. We’re almost in Shelby. I’m not complaining - the big sky and farmland has been like a soothing balm. I think I’ll stop typing and enjoy it…

I met John and Sandra at dinner and had a lovely conversation. Both fascinating people. Gave them my card and hope to see them again. Sandra’s uncle was a chef on the Ohio and Baltimore Railroad back in the day! They were heading back home after a family reunion in Kentucky.

The train started heading into GNP during dinner. I think the nicest scenery so far was between Shelby and Essex on the left, and Essex and West Glacier on the right.

I got off in West Glacier and headed up the short but STEEP hill to Belton Lodge. Check in was super fast and within minutes I was unpacked, cleaned up, and asleep!

I love Belton Lodge. Old, authentic, charming...one of my favorite hotels ever.

SUNDAY

Woke up at 6am, refreshed and calm after a sound night’s sleep. There’s delicious complimentary coffee and pastries in the lobby. When I checked in they gave me two chocolate chip cookies which I had this morning. Possibly the best ones I’ve ever had! Of course the spirit of a place and one’s mindset can make everything seem wonderful. That may be it but if so, that’s ok too! I’m sitting on my balcony in fresh air under a blanket (it’s about 46 out). Just watched a freight train roll by. Nothing to do until noon and I love it!!!

Walked to Apgar Village from Belton Chalet armed with bear spray at the hotel’s suggestion. Walked along the road because they said they thought it was too risky to walk the trail alone due to bears being spotted nearby recently. It was about 45 minutes but not pleasant as there wasn’t much of a shoulder to walk on. Unfortunately, staying at Belton Lodge without a car wasn't ideal. But it worked out.

Made it bear-free to Apgar Village. Went kayaking on Lake MacDonald and saw some beautiful bald eagles. Had lunch and went to the transit center where the Big Red Bus picked up a group for a fantastic tour of Glacier National Park all the way up to Logan Pass. I hitched a ride with a kind fellow traveller back to Belton.

MONDAY

I had breakfast down the street then spent the day reading at Belton Lodge (they have indoor and outdoor areas you can use after checkout before the train comes). I then had dinner at the truly fantastic Belton Grill. It was a slow, quiet, glorious day!

I walked over to the station to await the train. People are so interested in a woman traveling alone and often strike up a conversation with me. I guess I seem non-threatening.I met two interesting pairs of people while I waited. Neither was taking the train - they were just passing through the station area.Kelsey and Keaton were walking their cute pup Coco. We talked about what it was like living in such a beautiful but remote place. Then I met Jake and his dad from Boise, who were on bikes. They were all stunned that I came all the way there from NYC by train.

Then I was alone at the station for about half an hour. It was one of those days when I loved traveling alone and felt empowered.

A BNSF locomotive on its own went by. I made the arm motion for it to toot its horn and it did. 😃

It was just me getting on the train, until at the last minute another person ran up and jumped on with no bags or anything.

This began the last of my 3-leg Amtrak journey to Portland.

I recommend a seat on the north/right side for going through Glacier, then a seat on the left for amazing Columbia River and Mount Hood views all the way into Portland.

There were lots of SSL seats open for the rest of the trip. Jeff in the cafe car was funny and his announcements made everyone smile.

TUESDAY

On this leg of the trip I didn't feel like writing. It was the most scenic part, so I just sat back and took it all in. I had printed out the timetable and crossed off each stop as we made it. I was so sad when I crossed off Portland, our last stop.

--
As you can tell, I loved my trip. But in the interest of being honest, should say the food is pretty bad and unhealthy, and the bathrooms are iffy at best and some were downright nasty, especially at the end of the EB trip. But I was never hungry (I brought good snacks and drinks so I didn't have to eat the Amtrak food every meal), and I didn't spend much time in the bathroom, so those points weren't a big deal. This trip was an escape for me, so the privacy and solitude of roomettes was worth every penny for that alone. I've already booked my next trip - Texas Eagle in a bedroom and the Cardinal in a roomette. Counting down the days!

I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has any. Thanks for reading and happy travels!🙂

Thanks so much for the lovely, chatty, detailed trip report! You were on the routes I take most often, so I felt like I was riding right along with you!

Some things were different about your trip, though - you traveled in summer, and I am always going in winter when I can get away. I looked up the Belton Lodge, which sounds wonderful but is only open May-Oct, so I guess I will have to be satisfied reading about it ☹️.

I love the Viewliner Is when I am traveling alone. I am a little old gray-haired lady, and my Hubby loves staying at home, so every couple of years I take the EB and LSL from Wishram to Boston and back, to see my family. Last winter I planned the same trip, but at the last minute the EB got canceled for days in a row by snow slides. After two reservation rebookings, I got them to switch me to the CZ Winnemucca to BOS, and only lost a day in the end. Here are my trip reports in case you are interested: eastbound and westbound. They are completely different from yours!

Your trip report is making me yearn for another trip SOON.

Sounds like we would be good friends. I don't find many other women my age excited about trains! I also have a Texas Eagle trip coming up in January! Glad your trip was so relaxing!
Can't wait to read about it! I love knowing that there are other women out there like me. Looking forward to reading about your TE trip! :)

I'm surprised by your comment on the food, I found the food on the EB earlier this year to be excellent, at least two steps above the food on any of the several trains I took east of Chicago.
I'm in the wine and food business so I admit I can be a bit hard to please on this front! It was just too salty and heavy for me to enjoy. It's downright impossible to offer food everyone would like, and it doesn't reduce my desire to keep riding the rails at all. :)

I'm in the wine and food business so I admit I can be a bit hard to please on this front! It was just too salty and heavy for me to enjoy. It's downright impossible to offer food everyone would like, and it doesn't reduce my desire to keep riding the rails at all. :)
Not trying to argue, but still surprised - I can be sensitive to oversalted food, I found the food on a cruise years ago to be massively oversalted and I like salt up to a point, but I didn't notice that on my recent trip (although I don't doubt that it's not low salt) and even if I did it wouldn't stop me from appreciating the other ways in which trad beats flex. As I've said elsewhere, I found flex ok but a big step down from trad. Of course, expectations play a big role in perception. Among the many ways this country is deeply divided now is in expectations re what 'good food' is. Back in the pre-Amtrak era I think there was more of a consensus on this. If you're doing a huge volume, you can cater to widely differing tastes. If your volume is relatively small, you really can't do that so much.

Not trying to argue, but still surprised - I can be sensitive to oversalted food, I found the food on a cruise years ago to be massively oversalted and I like salt up to a point, but I didn't notice that on my recent trip (although I don't doubt that it's not low salt) and even if I did it wouldn't stop me from appreciating the other ways in which trad beats flex. As I've said elsewhere, I found flex ok but a big step down from trad. Of course, expectations play a big role in perception. Among the many ways this country is deeply divided now is in expectations re what 'good food' is. Back in the pre-Amtrak era I think there was more of a consensus on this. If you're doing a huge volume, you can cater to widely differing tastes. If your volume is relatively small, you really can't do that so much.
You're so right about expectations. I've had so many people ask me if the trip was "worth it" because let's face it - it's expensive. My roomette was almost $2k for both legs combined! I tell them that the experience was worth every penny - but to not to expect great food, very clean bathrooms, or being on schedule. Setting realistic expectations can avoid disappointment. I hope every single person besides me loves the food - it feels great to have expectations exceeded! :)

Just went through the middle of Sing Sing. It must be so hard to be incarcerated while hearing the sounds of travel. The train whistled right as we were going through. That would kill me to hear.
"I hear that train a-coming. It's rollin' round the bend.
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when."

(part 2)

SATURDAY

I set my watch to beep when we got to Fargo around 4am. I’ve never been to ND before and wanted to see Fargo if only from the window. Luckily (depending on how you look at it I suppose) I woke up at the stops at St Paul and Red Wing, so I got to see those too. Yay! I fell right back to sleep afterwards and didn’t wake up until Fargo. I was too excited to sleep after that so I watched ND roll by as the sun rose. So peaceful. Went to an early breakfast expecting to be alone, but a couple was soon seated across from me despite there being tons of open booths. Debbie and Gene were super nice and interesting and I enjoyed my time with them, but of course we talked about what we do for work and I wanted to put work out of my mind completely for just a few days. It was worth it to meet them though.🙂

I went to the SSL around 7:30 and it was already busy. They’ve made at least 3 announcements about people needing to leave if they’ve been there for a while. I didn’t stay because I was feeling tired. Went back and chilled, and decided to keep my lower level bed down all day. Loved that! After the stretch break down in Minot I took the most delicious nap!

I brought a kindle filled with books to read and a phone filled with audiobooks. I’ve read one book (about the Ashtabula railway disaster) and have listened to one audiobook (about the history of Amtrak). But mostly I’m just looking out the windows and feeling peaceful. Other than the time I crossed the ocean on the Queen Mary 2 and stared at the sea, I’ve never felt so relaxed. This sure won't be my last LD train trip!!!

After Havre I checked out the SSL again, and with an adult beverage in hand from the cafe car, I there was actually room to sit down to enjoy it. I’ve walked through a few times just to stretch my legs, and saw a few of the same families spread out every time. I don’t blame them for staying there so long, though. They looked like they were having so much fun playing cards and doing puzzles together. I don’t know if they were asked to leave or decided to on their own, but I admit it’s nice to have some space in here.

I brought my National Parks passport book and I hope there’s a docent here later to cancel it! Yes I’m a dork. (Note: there was no docent on this trip for the Empire Builder stamp 😞 but of course I got my stamp at Glacier.)

I have to say the scenery hasn’t been spectacular so far, but it's been pretty. We’re almost in Shelby. I’m not complaining - the big sky and farmland has been like a soothing balm. I think I’ll stop typing and enjoy it…

I met John and Sandra at dinner and had a lovely conversation. Both fascinating people. Gave them my card and hope to see them again. Sandra’s uncle was a chef on the Ohio and Baltimore Railroad back in the day! They were heading back home after a family reunion in Kentucky.

The train started heading into GNP during dinner. I think the nicest scenery so far was between Shelby and Essex on the left, and Essex and West Glacier on the right.

I got off in West Glacier and headed up the short but STEEP hill to Belton Lodge. Check in was super fast and within minutes I was unpacked, cleaned up, and asleep!

I love Belton Lodge. Old, authentic, charming...one of my favorite hotels ever.

SUNDAY

Woke up at 6am, refreshed and calm after a sound night’s sleep. There’s delicious complimentary coffee and pastries in the lobby. When I checked in they gave me two chocolate chip cookies which I had this morning. Possibly the best ones I’ve ever had! Of course the spirit of a place and one’s mindset can make everything seem wonderful. That may be it but if so, that’s ok too! I’m sitting on my balcony in fresh air under a blanket (it’s about 46 out). Just watched a freight train roll by. Nothing to do until noon and I love it!!!

Walked to Apgar Village from Belton Chalet armed with bear spray at the hotel’s suggestion. Walked along the road because they said they thought it was too risky to walk the trail alone due to bears being spotted nearby recently. It was about 45 minutes but not pleasant as there wasn’t much of a shoulder to walk on. Unfortunately, staying at Belton Lodge without a car wasn't ideal. But it worked out.

Made it bear-free to Apgar Village. Went kayaking on Lake MacDonald and saw some beautiful bald eagles. Had lunch and went to the transit center where the Big Red Bus picked up a group for a fantastic tour of Glacier National Park all the way up to Logan Pass. I hitched a ride with a kind fellow traveller back to Belton.

MONDAY

I had breakfast down the street then spent the day reading at Belton Lodge (they have indoor and outdoor areas you can use after checkout before the train comes). I then had dinner at the truly fantastic Belton Grill. It was a slow, quiet, glorious day!

I walked over to the station to await the train. People are so interested in a woman traveling alone and often strike up a conversation with me. I guess I seem non-threatening.I met two interesting pairs of people while I waited. Neither was taking the train - they were just passing through the station area.Kelsey and Keaton were walking their cute pup Coco. We talked about what it was like living in such a beautiful but remote place. Then I met Jake and his dad from Boise, who were on bikes. They were all stunned that I came all the way there from NYC by train.

Then I was alone at the station for about half an hour. It was one of those days when I loved traveling alone and felt empowered.

A BNSF locomotive on its own went by. I made the arm motion for it to toot its horn and it did. 😃

It was just me getting on the train, until at the last minute another person ran up and jumped on with no bags or anything.

This began the last of my 3-leg Amtrak journey to Portland.

I recommend a seat on the north/right side for going through Glacier, then a seat on the left for amazing Columbia River and Mount Hood views all the way into Portland.

There were lots of SSL seats open for the rest of the trip. Jeff in the cafe car was funny and his announcements made everyone smile.

TUESDAY

On this leg of the trip I didn't feel like writing. It was the most scenic part, so I just sat back and took it all in. I had printed out the timetable and crossed off each stop as we made it. I was so sad when I crossed off Portland, our last stop.

--
As you can tell, I loved my trip. But in the interest of being honest, should say the food is pretty bad and unhealthy, and the bathrooms are iffy at best and some were downright nasty, especially at the end of the EB trip. But I was never hungry (I brought good snacks and drinks so I didn't have to eat the Amtrak food every meal), and I didn't spend much time in the bathroom, so those points weren't a big deal. This trip was an escape for me, so the privacy and solitude of roomettes was worth every penny for that alone. I've already booked my next trip - Texas Eagle in a bedroom and the Cardinal in a roomette. Counting down the days!

I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has any. Thanks for reading and happy travels!🙂
When my son 67 retires in Jan 23, We plan on taking the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Denver Zephyr and Cardinal from Indianapolis. He has never been on a train and my last one was in 1963. I have fond memories of Grand Central Station and the old Penn Station in the 1950's thru 1960's when I lived in the NYC area. We hope our trip in a room will be as relaxing and as enjoyable as yours seems to have been.

You're so right about expectations. I've had so many people ask me if the trip was "worth it" because let's face it - it's expensive. My roomette was almost $2k for both legs combined! I tell them that the experience was worth every penny - but to not to expect great food, very clean bathrooms, or being on schedule. Setting realistic expectations can avoid disappointment. I hope every single person besides me loves the food - it feels great to have expectations exceeded! :)
Unbelievable I’m reading this post. Just did EB from Portland. Stopped at Issac Walton Inn for a night then on to Chicago. 3 hour layover then Lake Shore LTD to Croton on Hudson. Expensive but worth every penny. Never knew how much freight the country needs to operate.

Back