Lake Shore Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We know Amtrak is as flexible as a rock. Why didn't it at least attach LSL to Pennsylvanian the Capitol at Pittsburg, and whatever at Toledo on to CHI ? Reverse for eastbound LSL?

We know Amtrak is as flexible as a rock. Why didn't it at least attach LSL to Pennsylvanian the Capitol at Pittsburg, and whatever at Toledo on to CHI ? Reverse for eastbound LSL?
Forget about the craziness involved in doing all that, making it quite impractical. How could you get all the LSL passengers to get to NYP many many hours before the original planned departure, leaving aside the issue of preparing the consist. All that they needed to do was arrange bus bridge assuming 48(5) actually came out of Chicago, between Albany and Utica, and they could not do that due to the circumstances as they unfolded.

What I heard is earlier in the day they had hatched a plan of LSL bypassing Albany through Selkirk. Apparently that routing was expected to become available. but apparently that fell through too late to arrange anything else.

Was supposed to be on 49 tomorrow (8/7)... haven't heard anything yet. Should I just cancel and book a flight to Chicago?

Today's axle count is 56. We are behind the engines. Had to go through 5 coaches and a Cafe car to get to the diner.
56 is standard consist for LSL West of Albany these days:

2xLoco
BOS Sleeper
BOS Dinette/Cafe
2xBOS Coach
3xNYP Coach
NYP Diner
3xNYP Sleeper
NYP Baggage

= 14 cars x 4 = 56 axles.

How does one know what car type one is in? I have heard of Horizon, Heritage, Viewliners 1&2, and don’t know what kind of car I’m in on the Lakeshore limited. I tend to sit in a seat at the front of the car when I’m coach and was surprised to see that there were no windows for the first set of seats, so I moved further down. I heard someone mention that this was an older car. The seats are dark grey leather If that provides any pertinent information for identification. I do know it’s not a Superliner! 😄

How does one know what car type one is in? I have heard of Horizon, Heritage, Viewliners 1&2, and don’t know what kind of car I’m in on the Lakeshore limited. I tend to sit in a seat at the front of the car when I’m coach and was surprised to see that there were no windows for the first set of seats, so I moved further down. I heard someone mention that this was an older car. The seats are dark grey leather If that provides any pertinent information for identification. I do know it’s not a Superliner! 😄
There are only 2 types of cars on the LSL, Viewliners and Amfleet. The baggage, diners, and sleepers are always Viewliners. Coaches and cafe are Amfleet. You will not see any Horizon or Heritage cars, not counting vintage private cars that might be attached to an LSL train.

Typically, the Lake Shore will run with Amfleet 2 coaches except in a rare emergency swap. (I think an AM-1 business class car may have subbed out of Boston one trip a while back) The most obvious clues: AM-1 coaches have smaller windows, and vestibules at both ends. AM-2 only have a vestibule at one end.

On the inside, the AM-2 have more pitch/legroom, greater recline, legrests, and curtains.... There is the railgeek stuff some of us look at like models of truck, and auto vs manual doors, but that is not the obvious stuff for most people...

Rode 449 today from Boston to Albany. We had tried to book Room H but found the sleeper completely sold out more than a month ago. So went in coach, which was fine and not particularly crowded. The sleeper appeared to be a Viewliner 1. Also, when the New York section pulled into Rensselaer a few minutes after us, it had only two sleepers. Didn't get close enough to see if either was a V2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back