Lake Shore Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized I won't be seeing the Hudson, from the 4911 Accessible Bedroom out of NYP in June. Guess I'll be spending the 1st few hours in the Diner (aka Sleeper Lounge) if they'll let me.
Or pop into an empty roomette. That’s what I did when my rooomette was on the wrong side and the one across from me was unoccupied out of NYP. Just don’t be a slob and leave a mess 😁

. Of course I will not have Hudson River views because I'm going from/to Boston but I think that I can see the Erie Canal on both sides of the train at different times, daylight permitting.
D.
As far as the Boston sleeper is concerned, in my experience, the orientation is usually fairly consistent with the bedrooms toward the front. However I have seen exceptions where the Boston sleeper is run with the bedrooms at the rear.

Or pop into an empty roomette. That’s what I did when my rooomette was on the wrong side and the one across from me was unoccupied out of NYP. Just don’t be a slob and leave a mess 😁
Well, turns out one of the California clan I'm visiting may be in Europe that weekend, so instead of riding the LSL in June, I'll be riding the Cardinal west in March. They're not in a flood area of So. Cal (yet), but nevertheless I hope all the weird weather has passed by then.

Oddly, when I called AGR to make the change, the new fare that the agent quoted was $800 above what was on the web. I logged on to confirm that it was still there, and she cancelled the original reservation and told me to book the new one on the web, which worked. She said maybe I had locked the lower bucket, although I had never gone past selecting the rooms (just to make sure all segments had a room, as sometimes a ticket with one coach segment is in the same fare range as all rooms in a lower bucket.)

I should know this, but I forgot. I am booked in room 5 in car 4811 and room 3 on 4912. IIRC odd numbered rooms are on the right. I remember that this is based on the practice of the handicapped room being located closest to the diner for the car next to the diner. Is the second sleeper usually oriented in the same way?

Thank you.

I should know this, but I forgot. I am booked in room 5 in car 4811 and room 3 on 4912. IIRC odd numbered rooms are on the right. I remember that this is based on the practice of the handicapped room being located closest to the diner for the car next to the diner. Is the second sleeper usually oriented in the same way?

Thank you.
Yes, odd numbered rooms are usually on the right. The 12 car has always been oriented the same direction as the 11 car when I've ridden it.

The reason I've heard is the vestibule had to be next to the diner since the diner does not have a vestibule.

Yes, odd numbered rooms are usually on the right. The 12 car has always been oriented the same direction as the 11 car when I've ridden it.

The reason I've heard is the vestibule had to be next to the diner since the diner does not have a vestibule.
Also, that one H room has to have access to the Diner for the train to be ADA compliant, such as it is.

This is good news for the Eastern Trains, which unfortunately still don't have a "date certain " when Traditonal Dinning will return, but at least there is a place to " Lounge" unlike the Texas Eagle and Cap, which currently don't have Sightseer Lounges, and use CCC Food Service Cars to serve the Flex Meals and the Cafe Menu..( Coach Passengers can't eat in the Diner side and Sleeper passengers can't hang out in the Diner side,)

ALL Passengers are not allowed to use the Cafe end of the Car since the Crew uses the few tables there as a Crew Lounge!

And One LSA is doing the Work of 4 on the Eagles by running the Cafe,, the Diner, the Kitchen and Taking orders and Serving.🤪🥺🤬
That is slightly wrong to say the Texas Eagle does not have a dinning car or Observation car. From Illinois to San Antonio the Texas Eagle has no observation or dinning car but when the Sunset Limited connects to the Texas Eagle in San Antonio it has an observation car and dinning car. Here is the link for the traditional menu for Amtrak Amtrak Traditional Dining

That is slightly wrong to say the Texas Eagle does not have a dinning car or Observation car. From Illinois to San Antonio the Texas Eagle has no observation or dinning car but when the Sunset Limited connects to the Texas Eagle in San Antonio it has an observation car and dinning car. Here is the link for the traditional menu for Amtrak Amtrak Traditional Dining
Yep, you are correct, but during the 32+ Hour trip between Chicago and San Antonio( the Eaglettes are often Late to Very Late thanks to UP), there are 4 Meals served Southbound and 5 Northbound,( Flex) and as I said, you cannot use the CCC for a Lounge,and since there is no Sightseer Lounge, except during your meals, you have to stay in your Room except during the Station stops you are allowed to get off for some Fresh Air/Smoke!

I am riding the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to Framingham in June and have a couple of questions. Does the cafe car open the night the train departs from Chicago or does it open the following morning? How is dinner handled for sleeper passengers on 448 east of Albany? Thanks.

I am riding the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to Framingham in June and have a couple of questions. Does the cafe car open the night the train departs from Chicago or does it open the following morning? How is dinner handled for sleeper passengers on 448 east of Albany? Thanks.
The cafe on train 48 will be open the night it leaves from Chicago. When I've been on 448 east of Albany in the past couple of years, dinner was flex meals warmed up in the cafe and delivered to our rooms by the sleeper attendant.

I'm scheduled to take train 49 from Syracuse to Chicago at the end of March. Was wondering if a) since I booked a ticket on #49 and not #449, will I be guaranteed a seat at the back of the train farther from the engines and b) what are the chances of getting a window seat? The train is currently 70% full, and since I'm traveling on a Friday night at the start of my spring break, I'm expecting the train to be full; are there normally window seats available in Syracuse?

This will be my first time on the Lake Shore Limited, so if anyone has tips or suggestions for making the most out of the LSL coach experience, let me know. I have yet to ride an Amfleet II although I will be riding the Crescent in coach next weekend.

As fdaley said, they will be giving you a flex dinner after you leave Albany. When I rode last winter, my attendant took my dinner order before Albany, so he could get the appropriate meals from the diner. After Albany, he had the meals heated up and brought to our rooms. I did not have a choice of when the meal was brought, and it was rather earlier than I would have chosen to eat (I think shortly after 5pm).
newengld22_eb38.jpg
I chose the salmon, and it was quite adequate. The salad had a terrible preservative odor, and I couldn't eat it. I'm spoiled by fresh garden salads, so it was no loss. On the way back west I told them not to bring me one.

I'm scheduled to take train 49 from Syracuse to Chicago at the end of March. Was wondering if a) since I booked a ticket on #49 and not #449, will I be guaranteed a seat at the back of the train farther from the engines and b) what are the chances of getting a window seat? The train is currently 70% full, and since I'm traveling on a Friday night at the start of my spring break, I'm expecting the train to be full; are there normally window seats available in Syracuse?

This will be my first time on the Lake Shore Limited, so if anyone has tips or suggestions for making the most out of the LSL coach experience, let me know. I have yet to ride an Amfleet II although I will be riding the Crescent in coach next weekend.
There is no guarantee you will board the rear section because once the train is enroute the Conductors will have a boarding plan of where they want passengers to board based on number of people on and off at each location. You should have a fairly good chance for window seat as there should be a fair number of people getting off train in Syr.

On the other hand, going West it is getting late by the time the train hits Syracuse, not likely the view outside is as much of an issue as it is earlier in the day. It's going to be dark.
It starts being daylight around Toledo so you do get a fair amount to look at going through Indiana. IIRC the right side of the train has the best views of the lakes etc.

One last question. I’m ticketed to ride the LSL from Chicago to Framingham on Saturday June 17. I know CSX usually does track work in June and July. Does that affect weekend departures? I’m flexible on my dates and departure and arrival points, I just don’t want to ride a bus.

Typically they do track work in late spring/early summer which often results in the Boston section getting bussed during the week. It can be inconsistent but it is a risk of using the service that time of year. Sunday eastbound could end up becoming a bus as I think usually the 448 run as a train Thursday - Saturday and 449 Friday - Sunday. If you want to avoid it you could switch to one day earlier (if your plans have flexibility)

Last edited:
VL I sleeper
Cafe
Coach
--------------
Coach
Coach
Diner
VL I sleeper
VL II sleeper
Baggage

I think the 1st 3 cars are the ones for Boston.
Is there a way to tell by car number which is the VL II ?

I am on the LSL eastbound from Chicago to Buffalo. Sleepers 4811 and 4812.

Hey guys!
What’s up with the 3rd P42? This was on the 3/20 48/448.
Thank you,
Kyle

Attachments

• BD98C85C-11AA-4C9E-9E99-1A58329D64A8.png
    BD98C85C-11AA-4C9E-9E99-1A58329D64A8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 57DB0901-A4AB-4D27-B94B-F086C0142BD9.png
    57DB0901-A4AB-4D27-B94B-F086C0142BD9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

I see your location is Ithaca, NY. If you're on spring break and coming from Syracuse...are you an Ithaca College student? I'm an IC alum (Park School) myself.

To answer your questions if you haven't departed yet, 49 vs 449 makes no difference. Likewise, 48 vs. 448 doesn't matter unless you're headed east of Albany. In that case, you'll definitely be in the 448 cars.

Westbound, usually Chicago-bound passengers occupy the last car. If it's not full, they'll likely have you seated in that car. Eastbound, Syracuse-bound passengers are usually in the 448 cars. You don't need to worry about engine/horn noise; the furthest coach car forward is the fifth car in the consist (engine, engine, Boston sleeper, cafe car, first 448 coach).

Around spring break, the trains will probably be sold out, especially on a Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back