Lake Shore Limited timetable change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bms

OBS Chief
It looks like Amtrak has lengthened the Lake Shore Limited schedule, as I see time changes in my mid-January reservations and beyond.

48 still leaves Chicago at 9:30 p.m. and arrives in Cleveland at 5:38 a.m., but arrives in New York at 6:47 p.m. (was 6:23)
448 now arrives in Boston at 8:32 p.m. (was 8:00)
49 still leaves New York at 3:40 p.m., but arrives in Cleveland at 4:03 a.m. (was 3:53) and Chicago at 10:12 a.m. (was 9:50)

Obviously not a huge change, but it's never good to see Amtrak lengthening a timetable.

I was told that Ethan Allen Express changed their timetable too and this might be the reason too for: connection trains?

Back in the 1980s management at American Airlines were able to improve their on-time performance by a simple trick - they made the arrival times for every flight 15 minutes later. Seems like Amtrak is picking up the same trick.

I doubt the Lake Shore can keep to the new timetable either, but I'll keep riding it - the packed four-car Capitol Limited with no lounge really is no fun.

My theory is this is the result of re-negotiations with freight railroads about delays for the STB. Similar to the (insane) crescent schedule change earlier in the year
Omg but they already did this with the LSL several months ago! It sits in Albany for over 90 minutes eastbound! 😤🤬🤬🤬 Where is RPA?!? STB?!

Back in the 1980s management at American Airlines were able to improve their on-time performance by a simple trick - they made the arrival times for every flight 15 minutes later. Seems like Amtrak is picking up the same trick.
If the current 40 minutes of padding aren’t enough, 15 minutes more is going to make a minuscule differences

Amtrak thinks that negotiation means giving the Class 1s anything they want in the vain hope of getting some consideration on time slots some day. Look at the Crescent disaster - Amtrak gave up everything and got nothing in return. Have you heard of a single complaint to the STB over the continuing Amtrak delays in Alabama and Mississippi. NS is laughing all the way to the bank (of the Mississippi River). I can't imagine how much they are laughing at the Amtrak Yahoos.

When it comes to the Lake Shore (and especially the Boston section) the news never seems to be good news.

I guess the fact that the train manages to run at all should be a great cause for celebration.

It’s a couple of minutes here and a few minutes there, but overall, for a train in 2021 it should be a quicker running train (not longer - but that's a whole other debate!). UGH!

The westbound - they could have actually tightened the schedule up between NYP and Albany. Seems to always have a early arrival into Albany westbound. As per above, eastbound too, but that's to also allow the train to makeup time. Used to be load and go once the trains were split off at Albany. Not sire what the SOP is now. I think they actually carry local traffic now.

Schedule would look more appealing if it left NYP at 4:05 pm and arrived into Chicago at 9:55 am. But then again, as someone else commented, I guess we should be content that these trains are running at all!

I think there are a few other schedule changes coming forth on the Eastern LD trains (permanent in nature), but minor overall. And presumably a result of Amtrak negotiating with host railroads.

Last edited:
It's often an early arrival in Albany eastbound too. There's no rhyme or reason to it, they're just bending to the host railroad demands. How is it a quicker running train if the schedule was lengthened?

Operating times south of Poughkeepsie are determined by Metro North. There is also the single track bottleneck at Spuyten Duyvil and south of 59th Street, with opposing Empire trains to stay clear of.
The single track at Spuyten Dyvil is probably not as big a deal as the flat junction with the MN Hudson Line where Westbounds have to cross all tracks resulting in conflicts with EB MN trains.

It's often an early arrival in Albany eastbound too. There's no rhyme or reason to it, they're just bending to the host railroad demands. How is it a quicker running train if the schedule was lengthened?
I don't think I have led a charmed life when it comes to the Lake Shore. Despite a number of trips, I don't recall any instance where the eastbound Lake Shore that I was on was early or even on time at Albany.

The Lake Shore links three major cities in the U.S. It ought to be operated at the premier train of the Amtrak system. Instead it is operated as some kind of a joke.

It's interesting that the main problem with the LSL seems to be the ALB-BOS segment. While it's perhaps a pipe dream, actual regional service (more than one train per day) between the two cities seems like it could really help alleviate some of these issues.

The Lake Shore links three major cities in the U.S. It ought to be operated at the premier train of the Amtrak system. Instead it is operated as some kind of a joke.
The Sunset links five major cities, the Chief 3, the starlight 4, the zephyr 4, the crescent 3. The LSL doesn’t have much over those in terms of cities served.

I won't argue whether or not the LSL should be considered Amtrak's premier train. The western trains definitely outdo it for scenery. I would note that unlike the western trains the LSL hits a number of medium sized cities in a more densely populated area. The eastern end of the route is covered well by the Empire service, but the western end is left to the LSL to service alone, except for part of it also served by the CL. As a result important cities like CLE and TOL get served at non optimum times. This would be better remedied by corridor type services but that would involve states like Ohio and Indiana to get interested in better rail service, something they have been reluctant to do.

The Sunset links five major cities, the Chief 3, the starlight 4, the zephyr 4, the crescent 3. The LSL doesn’t have much over those in terms of cities served.
Except for the Crescent, the others you mention are normally decent trains providing good service. The Lake Shore and the Crescent are not.

Back