Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Late Shore-

Train Attendant
Hi all. It's been a while since I've been here, but it's great to be back, and see that this website is growing more and more. :)

I have a general question regarding the train speed on #449 between Boston,MA and Albany, NY. Just simply what is it? I heard that train speeds between Framingham, MA and Back BAy Station can reach 90mph? Is that true.

Does the LSL hit 79mph after Schenectady?

Any information would be appreciated. :rolleyes: :D

I think between Boston and Springfeild the Lake Shore Limited may hit 79mph at one point or another. Otherwise, the speed is probably more around 60mph. After Springfeild and on to Albany, the speeds a significantly reduced to around 30mph as the train makes its way through Western Massachusetts and the Birkshire Mountains. The average speed between Albany and Boston is around 40mph.

After Albany and through upstate New York the will reach speeds of up to 90mph.

Welcome back. :)

I'm not real sure about the speeds between Albany and Boston. However, west of Schenectedy, I think that there are one or two streches where then can run at 90. Overall however 79 MPH is the max for the LSL west of Albany.

South of Albany heading to NYC, they can get up to 100 MPH for quite a bit. In fact, I think that the LSL is held back by the baggage car, since Empire Service trains can reach 110.

Im almost 100% Positive that the top speed over ALL of the Boston line is 60 MPH, including SPG-BOS. No 79 MPH running.

Amfleet is right, through the Berkshires track speed is normally 40 MPH with slower curves here and there. from Pittsfield to Albany there is a few streches of 60 followed by alot of 50 and 40 MPH running. I think the Post Road Branch is 55 MPH, one ROUGH ride.

Actually on the trip out to Syracuse the track is good for 110 at some points if I'm not mistaken. A buddy of mine that used to work the line said he could basically cruise in the 8th notch as the climbed up the mountains, but as soon as they got close to 100 or so he was having to slow down for one reason or another. I'll ask him tomorrow when I see him.

Well if you ask me, the speed seem more like 10 mph around the mountains and curves.. which is good! But between Albany and Boston, since I was just on the train through there.. I say around 80mph.. maybe!

But yeah ask the professionals on the board, as I'm not too sure :)

Well actuality and track speed are two completely different animals. OFten times a track is good for one thing but it's not an issue because you can't get your engines to rev up that fast. My trip to see my buddy got pushed back to tomorrow, so I'll report Wednesday most likely.

OK, here's what he had to say. Track speed from CP169 to Albany is 110 MPH. Schenectady is in the 110 MPH zone at CP159. He said that when you're going west it's nearly impossible to get up to 110 because of the hills. Coming down it's hard to get up that high because you're in full dynamic braking and Schenectady's right in the middle of the zone. As for the Lake Shore, it'll never make it even close to 110 if it has RoadRailers, because Maximum Speed permitted for them is 90 MPH.

The Post Road Branch is the line between CSX's Boston Line to Albany-Rensslear station. The only trains that use the branch are 448 and 449. Before the branch was reinstated in 1979, to get onto the Boston Line the train had to make a long backup move and it added as much as 45 minutes to the schedule.

The Post Road Branch is a very rough riding stretch of track because its all stick rail, and maintaning this line isnt priority because it only sees two trains a day!

Thanks for that information P40. But, have you noticed when you look at the schedule for #449, that it takes about 40 minutes or so to travel from Albany, NY to Schenectady, NY? Why is that? Rough trackage as well?

Also, checck out number #3's schedule between Kansas City, MO and Lawrence, KS - the first stop after Kansas City, MO. Why does it take train number #3 about two and a half hours just to go about 40 miles or so? :eek:

Is there something I'm missing? LOL :unsure:

-Late Shore- said:
Thanks for that information P40. But, have you noticed when you look at the schedule for #449, that it takes about 40 minutes or so to travel from Albany, NY to Schenectady, NY? Why is that? Rough trackage as well?
That's probably due more to the slower speeds over the Hudson River Bridge, coupled with the single track between Albany & Schenectady.

Also, checck out number #3's schedule between Kansas City, MO and Lawrence, KS - the first stop after Kansas City, MO. Why does it take train number #3 about two and a half hours just to go about 40 miles or so?   :eek:
In this case IIRC, Amtrak adds and subtracts Express Trak cars in KC, so I suspect that the extra time is simply padding to allow for switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back