Lakeshore Limited connection to California Zephyr today (2/15)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longdistance

Train Attendant
We are going to use this same day (guaranteed) connection next month. Only a question: will they put (sleepingcar)passengers on a bus by example between South-Bend and Naperville sometimes? Today that seems a possibility I think.

I've never heard of that arrangement, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Imagining, though, that if it did, you'd probably make up quite a bit of time due to the morass called Chicago railroading. And the NS has been notoriously clogged between Porter, IN and Chicago. That situation should be abated due to the downturn in traffic, and will further be eased by the addition of a third track which is currently under construction.

I was on the LSL yesterday connecting to the Texas Eagle (same day). I spent the night in a hotel,

compliments of Amtrak, and will be on the Eagle today!!

We are going to make this trip as holiday-experience, not als transport only. Shanghai, are you on a sleeper? I am not to worried to much, but is it also possible that if you have to take the train next day and the sleepers on the CZ are sold out and by example not sold out on the Southwest Chief, they will offer us a trip to Emeryville by that route (with change in Los Angeles)?

Yes, long distance, I was and am in a roomette. On the Texas Eagle, I'm

in the Transdorm roomette.

Long Distance: under the old AGR program ( RIP ) which utilized Zones for Award travel, this was a frequent occurrence.

Under the new and Unimproved AGR2.0 which is Fare Based, it could cost you more points and/or a combo of more points and money to do this.

If you are paying for the trip,to revise your trip would be based on the current Fare and Room charges and chances are it would cost you more since this is a Very Popular routing and Supply and Demand drive the prices.

Bob and Shanghai, thank you for Youri answers! We are from Europe and pay it with money and not with points OR something like that. We have booked it months before and will travel mid-March.

If the rebooking is forced due to a missed connection, I would expect Amtrak to rebook without any additional fare being charged.
If the rebooking was on the Zephyr the next day due to Amtrak's fault, definitely, but switching to the Chief/Starlight if no Rooms are available on the Zephyr and a downgrade to Coach is offered, will definitely result in a Fare increase!
(of course if the downgrade to Coach is taken, a Full Refund of the Room Charges (and a possible Voucher from CR)will occur.( and if downgraded to Coach, possibly the Meals in the Diner will still be included, I've had that happen several times!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the bussing is being done for all connecting passengers, it will not be done for just sleeping car passengers.

If you did miss your connection and the rooms on the next day's CZ are sold out, ask what can be done for you. They could say you have to go coach on the CZ :( , they could let you go on the SWC/CS or they may even upgrade you on the CZ! I've had the last happen - I had a roomettes but was upgraded to a bedroom! :) I've found the CHI Customer Service folks sometimes go out of their way to help!

There are a range of options, it all depends on the circumstances at the time. Amtrak will put you in a hotel overnight if that is their/your best option.

The real problem may be next day, if that day's train is already fully booked on sleepers, you may be offered coach plus a refund.

Best advice, which may not be to your liking, nor fit your itinerary, would be to travel to Chicago a day earlier, and overnight there, and so be in plenty of time for the train west... Of course that means budgeting for an extra nights hotel in Chicago.

Probably everything will be fine, the LSL will connect ok, and no worries. Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst...

Ed. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back