Lakeshore limited:limited diningcar menu??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longdistance

Train Attendant
We (from Europe) are looking forward to our transcontinental traintrip and discovered a very "limited" diningcar menu on the Amtrak website! I remember some time ago (two months?) a menu comparible with the western trains. Has it changed shortly or is my memory misleading me? We travel in a sleepingcar.

We (from Europe) are looking forward to our transcontinental traintrip and discovered a very "limited" diningcar menu on the Amtrak website! I remember some time ago (two months?) a menu comparible with the western trains. Has it changed shortly or is my memory misleading me? We travel in a sleepingcar.
It indeed appears to be missing the second page of the menu. I suspect it is an error and the LSL menu is essentially the same as the Capitol Limited menu.

Of course this being Amtrak, one never knows. but I think they will have some difficulty justifying the premium that they charge the Sleeper passengers in the name of the Dining Car facilities with that kind of a menu. But under the present shameless Amtrak management, who knows?

The dining car menu is the same as the other trains - feel free to look at say, the Southwest Chief, for an example. There appears to have been an error when Amtrak (finally!) put up the November menus on their website, they only put up Page 1 of the Lake Shore's menu. (also make sure you're not looking at the 448/449 menus unless you're going to/from Boston)

In the past year or so the menus have been standardized and simplified in the name of Congressionally ordered cost cutting. This is the subject of much controversy. You will get fed on these trains and the food is not necessarily bad, but the menu gets rather boring after a couple of days on the train. They got rid of the flowers, which had added a touch of class and other stupid nickel and dime ideas. I told them in one letter that some dining cars now resemble a cheap coffee shop. If you end up having a memorable experience in the dining cars, it will probably not be because of the food, but perhaps because of a good staff or memorable table companions.

Hallo helpful forummembers: we start in New York Penn Station, so we have the diningcar all the way till Chicago!

Hallo helpful forummembers: we start in New York Penn Station, so we have the diningcar all the way till Chicago!
New York passengers are encouraged to eat between New York and Albany so the Boston passengers, boarding in Albany, can have the late settings upon leaving Albany after the two Sections of the Lake Shore are joined there.
It's most enjoyable to ride up the Hudson River having Dinner the Diner, think of Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in "North by Northwest" on the 20th Century Ltd.( but you won't see the Brook Trout on the Menu nor be able to order a Gibson!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the LSL NYP-CHI last month and I recall the usual LSL menu with 5-6 dinner entrees and the fully cooked breakfast. For dinner I seem to remember having a salad, the new crab-shrimp cakes with potatoes and veggies, and vanilla Haagen Dazs ice cream for dessert. For breakfast I ordered the continental with grits. I remember being pleased by everything. I hope no one from Congress is reading this post. Have a nice trip!

Btw I've been on the LSL 30+ times always boarding in NYP and I've never been "encouraged" to eat at any particular time. Invariably shortly after departure someone from the dining car will come around to take reservations for the full dinner service and NY passengers can and do eat any time they wish. The Boston passengers have never been mentioned in these exchanges.

I always take the early seating because I like to see the Hudson, make sure they have my selections, and get the socializing out of the way early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back