Lakeshore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usual consist:

P42

P42

Boston section

baggage

sleeper

coach

coach

lounge cafe

New York section

coach

coach

coach

diner

sleeper

sleeper

baggage

cpamtfan-Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things to note:

1. The Diner is an Amfleet II Diner-Lite

2. The Boston Sleeper is car xx20

3. The New York Sleepers are cars xx11 and xx12. Don't ask me what happened to xx10. It just is not there.

3. The P42s are usually back to back and not elephant style.

4. The train is split into its 2 parts by the Rensselaer car shop before it platforms at the station.

I think they are usually elephant style. I think I've only seen the train in person once (can't remember how the engines were arranged, I was 11), but nearly every video I have seen of it has the P42s elephant style.

I think they are usually elephant style. I think I've only seen the train in person once (can't remember how the engines were arranged, I was 11), but nearly every video I have seen of it has the P42s elephant style.
That could be. But the six times that I traveled by it or saw it pass by so far this year the engines were always back to back. That I admit does not prove anything though :)

That could be. But the six times that I traveled by it or saw it pass by so far this year the engines were always back to back. That I admit does not prove anything though :)
Very true. Either of us could be right. Maybe the guys in CHI and BOS alternate between elephant style and back to back just to confuse guys like us. :lol:

Very true. Either of us could be right. Maybe the guys in CHI and BOS alternate between elephant style and back to back just to confuse guys like us. :lol:
:lol: It is their way of experimenting about our behavior on AU. How would we have anything left to discuss if they did not keep changing things unpredictably? :lol:

Actually I don't think Boston changes anything unless one of the P42s that came in with the LSL craps out. It is Chicago that does whatever it does, and I also suspect they do not take the trouble to turn a single engine around just to make it elephant or back to back. They just slap the two that are available together making sure of course that the one in the front is facing front. :)

Elephant style on our 48 trip on June 26-27.
I would think that back-to-back is always preferable. It allows the engineer to pass between locmotives more easily and allows for much easier reversing of directions.
How much reversing of directions is required in normal service on the LSL? Are the diesel engines removed at Croton-Harmon in favor of electric traction? If so, is there a wye there to turn them around? If not, at least one would need to be run in reverse. OTOH, if one of the engines from CHI takes the BOS section, then they'd need to be run elephant style from CHI, wouldn't they? Or does one of the sections reverse direction at ALB? If the latter were the case, and the locomotive from CHI continued on to BOS, then back-to-back would make more sense.

Elephant style on our 48 trip on June 26-27.
I would think that back-to-back is always preferable. It allows the engineer to pass between locmotives more easily and allows for much easier reversing of directions.
How much reversing of directions is required in normal service on the LSL? Are the diesel engines removed at Croton-Harmon in favor of electric traction? If so, is there a wye there to turn them around? If not, at least one would need to be run in reverse. OTOH, if one of the engines from CHI takes the BOS section, then they'd need to be run elephant style from CHI, wouldn't they? Or does one of the sections reverse direction at ALB? If the latter were the case, and the locomotive from CHI continued on to BOS, then back-to-back would make more sense.
They are taken off at Albany for the trip to Boston, and dual mode P32ACDMs haul them the rest of the way.

Normal service? No reason at all to do it. But, for example, with a washed out track up ahead, its a lot easier to ride the engines around, and haul the train back from whence it came at track speed, rather then performing a many-mile backup move. On the other hand, there really aren't any advantages to elephant style, besides ease of switching for Chicago yard crew.

In normal operation no reversing necessary.

Usually no P42 goes past Albany towards New York. The P42s, both of them, together with the Boston section go off towards Boston from Albany, and a Dual-mode 700 series engine hooks onto the New York section to take it to New York. However, there have been those very very rare occasions where due to unavailability of a 700 series dual mode in Albany, a spare P42 has been assigned to the New York section by Albany, to drag the train all the way to CP Empire, just outside NYP, from whence the New York Yard protect dual-mode would pull the train into New York after shutting the P42 down.

The consist out of New York yesterday was:

When I rode the LSL out of Chicago on 7/4-7/5 the p42's were back to back. The consist was pretty much what everybody as mentioned. Although as one who was in the Boston sleeper, it is a bit of a hike to the diner-lite car. Overall, a great trip. I'm boarding to head back west tonight from Rochester.

Last night, I saw the LSL sitting on the tracks at Penn, having come in from Albany. It was running 118, and it was idling. And it stank. I'm actually fascinated as to why this happened, but I'm afraid that if I asked too many knowledgable questions, I'd be asked too many akward questions.

Is the wine and cheese get-together departing Chicago held in the diner-lite or the lounge?

Diner-Lite car.
Thanks. Then if post #2 is correct, I'll get plenty of exercise since I'm in the Boston sleeper.

I wonder what the procedure is? When the call in the Metro Lounge comes to board, can one first stow luggage in the sleeper, and then walk back, preferably outside on the platform, to the diner-lite for the get-together.

The consists for today, yesterday and Monday are/were:

Diner-Lite car.
Thanks. Then if post #2 is correct, I'll get plenty of exercise since I'm in the Boston sleeper.

I wonder what the procedure is? When the call in the Metro Lounge comes to board, can one first stow luggage in the sleeper, and then walk back, preferably outside on the platform, to the diner-lite for the get-together.
One must first stow one's luggage and checkin with one's sleeping car attendant no matter what. Can't board the train, except at the correct car where you belong. The attendants will keeping sending you down the platform till you reach the correct car.

As for walking back outside, they might let you do that, but understand that your walk will be longer than if you had stayed inside the train. Reason being is that you'll have to walk past the Diner-Lite car to one of the NY sleepers in order to reboard the train. The D-L car won't have any doors open for boarding. And if it's hot out, there is no AC on the platform. Conversely, if it's cold out there is no heat on the platform either.

Diner-Lite car.

Yep, you'll get plenty of exercise being in the Boston sleeper. :) When I boarded last week, they didn't call us out of the lounge until 8:30. By the time I got on board, checked in and my stuff stowe and made my way to the dining car for the reception, the coaches were boarding which made it kind of tough to get through as people were trying to board and settle in the coach cars.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier, the P42's do go to Boston, the New York half is split off and given a P32 and the P42's are refueled in Albany along with a crew change.

Dan

Also, I forgot to mention earlier, the P42's do go to Boston, the New York half is split off and given a P32 and the P42's are refueled in Albany along with a crew change.
Dan
I did not see them refueling the P42's in Albany on my recent 48 trip. Where do they do it? Was it before they split at trackside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back