Laptop in Café car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, you all are saying that the reserved coach seat you purchased, includes claiming a seat in the café cars as yours?

Personally, I would feel that seats in the café (or lounge) are intended to be shared equally by all passengers. Basically, that there is some kind of reasonable usage rotation during the trip.

So, you all are saying that the reserved coach seat you purchased, includes claiming a seat in the café cars as yours?

Personally, I would feel that seats in the café (or lounge) are intended to be shared equally by all passengers. Basically, that there is some kind of reasonable usage rotation during the trip.

On northeast regional and Acela trains you can in fact claim a seat in the cafe as yours. I’ve had conductors issue me a seat check at the cafe tables on those trains.

That is not the case on long distance trains unless all coach seats are full. The OP was questioning the policy difference between 2 different regional trains that both depart from nyc.

The business of rotating passengers through the lounge is silly... the ssl cars will always be filled during scenic times, and otherwise there are always seats. I’m not going to “rotate” out of the lounge to make room for passengers when plenty of open seats are available.

On northeast regional and Acela trains you can in fact claim a seat in the cafe as yours. I’ve had conductors issue me a seat check at the cafe tables on those trains.

That is not the case on long distance trains unless all coach seats are full. The OP was questioning the policy difference between 2 different regional trains that both depart from nyc.

The business of rotating passengers through the lounge is silly... the ssl cars will always be filled during scenic times, and otherwise there are always seats. I’m not going to “rotate” out of the lounge to make room for passengers when plenty of open seats are available.
Not on the NEC. My wife and I like to play a game (pinochle, Carcasonne) while enjoying a snack or lunch in the cafe car. About 2/3 of the time, no tables for two are available, including no tables with two people already sitting opposite each other, leaving two more opposites for us.
Why not? First, because the TRAIN CREW spreads out, not just over the less valued seats, such as tables that only seat two and have no seats on the other side (I think for wheel chairs.). Instead of occupying one table, they occupy THREE. And second, because of people who occupy the seats throughout their journey, using their laptop or sleeping on the table.
C'mon, crew, condense your stuff! C'mon passengers, rotate the cafe seats!

On the Cascades, the train crew occupies at least one 4 seat table and often the 2 seat table across the aisle. Then, folk with laptop computers take a 4 seat table, spread papers all around and put belongings in the adjacent seat. Very few people have an assertive personality that would allow them to ask to sit down with the table hog who has pushed their laptop more than halfway across the table. I've seen families go through the cafe line then come into the seating area only to find that there is no room for them even with a number of open seats and then they retreat back to their coach. Why can't train crew reserve space in a coach rather than the cafe car?

Not on the NEC. My wife and I like to play a game (pinochle, Carcasonne) while enjoying a snack or lunch in the cafe car. About 2/3 of the time, no tables for two are available, including no tables with two people already sitting opposite each other, leaving two more opposites for us.
Why not? First, because the TRAIN CREW spreads out, not just over the less valued seats, such as tables that only seat two and have no seats on the other side (I think for wheel chairs.). Instead of occupying one table, they occupy THREE. And second, because of people who occupy the seats throughout their journey, using their laptop or sleeping on the table.
C'mon, crew, condense your stuff! C'mon passengers, rotate the cafe seats!

As I said in the post you quoted, different policy on NEC trains, as passengers can in fact claim a seat in the lounge. I agree the crew taking up tables is a problem but that’s not going to change anytime soon.

On long distance trains I’ve never seen a real problem with the cafe / ssl seating except when the crew claims literally half the lounge (the half next to the diner) and then things can get a bit tight.

On the Cascades, the train crew occupies at least one 4 seat table and often the 2 seat table across the aisle...Why can't train crew reserve space in a coach rather than the cafe car?

SOP on the Capitol Corridor seems to be for crew to reserve a row of seats at the end of one of the California cars. Can't recall seeing them use a table in the cafe car, although it's not something I pay much attention to. I've sat in the cafe and had a conductor scan my ticket there – no worries.

I'd prefer to use my devices at my coach seat, or in my roomette or bedroom. I really am uncomfortable with people nearby being nosy as to what I'm viewing or typing. And if work related and I'm doing something that is confidential, even more so.

On board, I typically do not avail myself of wifi when available, preferring to limit web surfing, emailing etc to when the train is in or near a town with good signal(s). I do work offline at other times, tho. Again, being privacy minded...

well honestly if people used simple common sense and weren't selfish it would all work out...I see people working on laptops in the cafe cars on the Wolverine Michigan train all the time...if it's not crowded (i.e. plenty of other empty tables) then why not? If it's crowded then may be a good idea not to hog a table for a long time. Personally I work on the train all the time but get a Business Class seat so I have plenty of space to work, particularly if I get a single seat...2 plugs, tray table, plenty of room unless the person in front of me decides they need to have their seat all the way back (doesn't happen often but when it does that makes it a little difficult). I usually just ask people in front of me not to recline suddenly since I have a laptop open. If they do it slowly I can make sure my laptop doesn't get crunched! In any case, if people were considerate of others it would all work out.

Back