Las Vegas NM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would absolutely love to stay there some time! The whole area looks interesting, and that hotel restoration is absolutely amazing. Having traveled through there and seeing the wreck that was, what they've done to the old lady is nothing short of amazing! Thanks for posting the video!

The former Fred Harvey House in Las Vegas NM, La Castaneda, has re-opened. It is adjacent the Amtrak depot. Its restoration was made possible by the same owners who operate La Posada in Winslow AZ. Both properties are located on the route of the SOUTHWEST CHIEF.
The interesting thing about Las Vegas, NM is that there are 3 town centers.

The first in chronological order is centered around a Santa Fe style plaza a few blocks west of the rail line, probably dating from Santa Fe Trail days. The second is near the train station and La Castaneda.
The third is the usual franchise alley road town at the I25 exit north of town.

The staff allowed us to go in and see some of the rooms on a day when they closed the dining room back in December of 2019. We were a little disappointed in that they were not as nice as we expected. We had already booked two nights at the Plaza Hotel on the plaza and had been thinking of doing one night in each place but the dining room closure and the "less than expected" rooms changed our mind.

I hope the owners will be able to re-re-open, as it looks like both hotels are closed. I got the same result for a night in January and for a night in May.
Castañeda.png
The shown prices seem reasonable, but I wish "all-in" prices were available, as well as a breakdown of any additional charges.

I hope the owners will be able to re-re-open, as it looks like both hotels are closed. I got the same result for a night in January and for a night in May.
View attachment 26141
The shown prices seem reasonable, but I wish "all-in" prices were available, as well as a breakdown of any additional charges.
My sister and I tried to book something there for summer this year, but they were sold out to a film crew who were staying at both Hotel Castaneda and the Plaza Hotel. So they were open. You might try calling (that's what my sister did) as it might be a sold-out situation and maybe you could find availability that way.

Back