Last Minute New England Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun7

Service Attendant
In two weeks or so there's a good chance I'll be taking the SM up from Florida, change over to either Acela or a Regional and stay with friends near New Haven, CT for a few days. Heading back home after just a few days would be pointless, so I'm looking for ideas as to where I could find an interesting place to stay in the Northeast, yet away from the coastline and really any big city. I'm interested in either the Vermonter or the Adirondack, preferably the Vermonter since I can get right on in New Haven. Does anybody know a place that's at least somewhat comprable to the Izaak Walton Inn in the Northeast? How far do I have to go to get the best scenery possible on one of these trains?

On a side note, I've never personally experienced an Amfleet I coach seat. I'm really just used to A-II and Superliner. You think I'll get restless leg syndrome in the smaller seats? :D

Thanks,

Paul

I'm pretty new here, so I can't compare AmFleet I seats to other seats on the fleet, save for Acela. However, I've always thought that AmFleet I seats were fine - far better than what you will find on an airplane or commuter train (although I'm not sure how much that is saying...)

As far as what to see north of New Haven, there are a lot of picture-esque communities throughout the CT River Valley. Will you be getting a car in New Haven, or wherever your final destination will be? I don't know how close some of the hotels are to the train stations, so a car might be a necessity.

I'm originally from the Hartford area, but if you can get up to Springfield, MA and poke around that region for a while, you will see some very nice towns in the Pioneer Valley, particularly to the North. Deerfield, Amherst and Northhapton are great areas. Not sure if the Regionals will get you up there, but the Vermonter definately should. Amherst is about a 3 hour Vermonter ride north of New Haven. Others on the board might have some better advice on where to stay, etc., but I think this could be a good start.

Looking at the Vermonter timetable, there are a number of cool towns on the list as you push north into Vermont.

I'm interested in either the Vermonter or the Adirondack, preferably the Vermonter since I can get right on in New Haven.
When on the Vermont tracks, the Vermonter lumbers along at about 5 MPH. Slow enough to get an excellent view of even the most minor aspect of any scenery. If you want to take any photos, you will certainly not have to worry about any motion blur. :D

An A-I seat is better than coach on a plane. But if you wanted to compare, an A-I seat would be more like coach on a plane, while an A-II or a LD Superliner coach seat has the room more like a Business Class seat on a plane

The Corridor trains (or more often shuttle trains from NHV) only go to Springfield. The only train to go north of there is the Vermonter.

Alright, well I'm not scared of Amfleet I seats anymore. Now I'm just wandering what towns along the Vermonter route are at all interesting to see, even any wilderness areas with nice hotels, lodges, inns, etc.

In two weeks or so there's a good chance I'll be taking the SM up from Florida, change over to either Acela or a Regional and stay with friends near New Haven, CT for a few days. Heading back home after just a few days would be pointless, so I'm looking for ideas as to where I could find an interesting place to stay in the Northeast, yet away from the coastline and really any big city. I'm interested in either the Vermonter or the Adirondack, preferably the Vermonter since I can get right on in New Haven. Does anybody know a place that's at least somewhat comprable to the Izaak Walton Inn in the Northeast? How far do I have to go to get the best scenery possible on one of these trains?
On a side note, I've never personally experienced an Amfleet I coach seat. I'm really just used to A-II and Superliner. You think I'll get restless leg syndrome in the smaller seats? :D

Thanks,

Paul
A little while back, as I was asking the same question (Vermonter or Aderondack), some one suggested taking the Adirondack to a town in N.Y. then a ferry across to a town to catch the south bound Vermonter. I'm new to all this,

maybe some one could help us out while I try to dig thru my plans!

A little while back, as I was asking the same question (Vermonter or Aderondack), some one suggested taking the Adirondack to a town in N.Y. then a ferry across to a town to catch the south bound Vermonter. I'm new to all this,maybe some one could help us out while I try to dig thru my plans!
The station on the Adirondack's route is Port Kent, NY (PRK). The stop is up the hill (literally :eek: ) from the dock of the ferry to downtown Burlington, VT across Lake Champlain.

Now I'm just wandering what towns along the Vermonter route are at all interesting to see, even any wilderness areas with nice hotels, lodges, inns, etc.
White River Junction, one of the smaller Vermonter stops, is rather nice. I would suggest in their "wilderness area" the Comfort Inn and McDonalds. Though, be warned, their McD's closes at 8pm.

A little while back, as I was asking the same question (Vermonter or Aderondack), some one suggested taking the Adirondack to a town in N.Y. then a ferry across to a town to catch the south bound Vermonter. I'm new to all this,maybe some one could help us out while I try to dig thru my plans!
The station on the Adirondack's route is Port Kent, NY (PRK). The stop is up the hill (literally :eek: ) from the dock of the ferry to downtown Burlington, VT across Lake Champlain.
Thank you sir, you just made my vacation!! That's nearly exactly what I now plan on doing and allows me to get in 2 more Amtrak routes I've never been on before!

Thank you sir, you just made my vacation!! That's nearly exactly what I now plan on doing and allows me to get in 2 more Amtrak routes I've never been on before!
Us Florida boys need to stick together! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for reference, the ferry information is on http://www.ferries.com

You'd want the middle crossing, I take the 3:20 departure when coming on the Adirondack northbound. I can't recommend that train highly enough.

Any questions, just ask - you'll be in my neck of the woods!

Just for reference, the ferry information is on http://www.ferries.com
You'd want the middle crossing, I take the 3:20 departure when coming on the Adirondack northbound. I can't recommend that train highly enough.

Any questions, just ask - you'll be in my neck of the woods!
Well if you know of any nice lodges out in the middle of nowhere somewhere within 30 or so minutes of Burlington, I'd be very interested. And of course, I'll take any info/pictures on fun things to do in the area. So far everyone here has really been a huge help in recommending ideas for my trip, so thank you everybody!

So far my itinerary looks like this:

8/2/08 (Saturday): SM: DFB-NYP

8/3/08 (Sunday): 2:00 Acela: NYP-New Haven

8/6/08 (Wednesday): Vermonter: New Haven-Burlington/Essex

I haven't completely figured out the rest, but it may look like this:

8/10/08 (Sunday): Adirondack: Port Kent-ALB

8/11/08 (Monday): Empire Service: ALB-NYP

8/11/08 (Monday): SM: NYP-DFB

A couple years back, I had toyed with a trip on the Vermonter to Bellows Falls. VT. There was a nice looking little Bed & Breakfast within a couple of blocks of the station, and Bellows Falls was small enough to get lost in the Wilderness with just a short walk.

A couple years back, I had toyed with a trip on the Vermonter to Bellows Falls. VT. There was a nice looking little Bed & Breakfast within a couple of blocks of the station, and Bellows Falls was small enough to get lost in the Wilderness with just a short walk.
Once upon a time Bellows Falls was also home to Steamtown, until the moved to Scranton PA.

Green Mountain RR still does operate a tourist train on those tracks right along the Green River.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back