Late Eagles in Arkansas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Due to the Storms that moved through the Midwest and South last night and today, #21 (10)and #22 (10)are running 6+ Hours Late in Missouri and Arkansas.

Even though parts of Texas had Hail, High Winds and Rain, even a few Tornadoes in isolated spots,here in Austin we were lucky and just had Rain( much needed!),Wind and some small Hail .

The weekenc is supposed to be Sunny and Cooler after a week on unseasonal High Temps with Humidity and Very High Cedar Pollen Counts.

Hopefully everyone in the East and South gets through these Storms OK as well as all of the the Trains!

I read one of them, think 21, hit a tree and needed assistance. And 22 was held up due to it being single track in the area.

Here on upstate NYS, it is in the mid 50’s this weekend (including the overnight low)!

But as the saying goes, “If you don’t like the weather, just wait a minute and it will change”! Next week will be in the 20’s and possible snow!:eek:

# 21 is now 10+ hours late on its way to San Antonio. Sleeper passengers get an extra night, and I imagine 22's departure will be late.

They apparently annulled 21, probably in Ft. Worth. 2 is on time, and I wonder if it will become a short 22. We'll know in a couple of hours.

And No. 1 will be late as they will have to wait for the thru cars.

Don’t they have “back up” cars in San Antonio? They could bus the through pax to those. Even if they don’t bus those pax, they’d use those cars for pax booked on 421 between SAS & LAX.

Don’t they have “back up” cars in San Antonio? They could bus the through pax to those. Even if they don’t bus those pax, they’d use those cars for pax booked on 421 between SAS & LAX.
I believe that they do have "protect" cars (coach & sleeper) stationed there, and this is just the sort of scenario in which they would be employed. When 21 gets to SAS, the 421 cars it is carrying will become the new protect cars.

Edit to Add: Just saw that 21 was annulled in FTW. Expect that they will turn it there to become the new 22/422, and the 422 coach & sleeper cars which 2 is carrying eastbound should take over the "protect" duties.

I believe that they do have "protect" cars (coach & sleeper) stationed there, and this is just the sort of scenario in which they would be employed. When 21 gets to SAS, the 421 cars it is carrying will become the new protect cars.
Yes, San Antonio still has two protect cars for missed connections. They are stored on a track just a little North of the station with hotel power and paved access, so they can be ready to go at a moment's notice. If that ever changes I'll be sure to say something. ;)

Last edited:
The cars in SAS aren’t only “protect” cars. They are actually needed every Wednesday when #1 comes through as there isn’t a #2 that night so after the #421 cars are put onto #1, those cars are added back to #22 to go north Thursday morning to Chicago. Then on Thursday when #2 does come through the sleeper and coach from #21 are removed and stored back into the siding and the #422 cars are added on.

Back