Late Texas Eagle/422(02)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Today's #422(22) just departed Austin 3 +hours Late due to a 4+ Hour Late #2 into San Antonio this morning!

Small consist, no Sightseer Lounge or Transdorm.

Heavy UP Freight congestion on the AUS-Taylor and BNSF TPL-FTW will probably cause more delays.

On 422 now. As you said,lots of freight traffic. We were stopped for almost an hour outside Del Rio. Years ago 422 was ten hours late when I rode. We missed the connection in San Antonio and they put us up for a night with a food voucher.

The next 22 is Sunday.Wonder if Amtrak would pay for two nights lodging and food. I could think of worse places tobe stuck. Strange there is no sightseer car.Guess Ill be in my room for the entire trip.

The next 22 is Sunday.Wonder if Amtrak would pay for two nights lodging and food. I could think of worse places tobe stuck. Strange there is no sightseer car.Guess Ill be in my room for the entire trip.
I can't recall hearing anyone describe receiving two nights hotel on Amtrak's dime. Back in the binding arbitration era I imagine they'd just hand you a partial refund and leave you to your own devices. No idea how it works today though.

Only once in my 50 years!!!! of riding on Amtrak have I been given comped Hotel,Transportation and Meal Money for more than One night due to missed Connections.

That was in Chicago when there was massive Flooding on the Eagle Route around St Louis and in Arkansas on the Eagle Route.

I was put up in the Hyatt in Chicago for 2 Nights, given Vouchers for Taxis and Meals and enjoyed my 2 " Free" days in Chicago.

I was rebooked on #21 Chicago-Austin in Bedroom A while my Rez was for Roomettes!🥰
And this was when "Real Food" prepared by Chefs was still happening in the Diner, so I was Lucky!( I have had several One Night Stays in Chicago on Amtraks Dime due to Very Late Trains causing missed Connections in Chicago.)

Now I doubt anything like this will ever happen again!😣

There was one of those 'distressed passenger' bonanzas for me in the recent past... they had xcled the EB out of Chicago, so they routed me to and through LA on the Chief... and I kept my H rooms for both trains. This would mean an extra night and day of travel with all those yummy hot and fresh meals plus the huge cookies they give you at the lounge in LA.

But it got better because the Chief got to LA too late to connect with the CS... so they gave me a hotel voucher and meal in LA plus upgraded me to a bedroom up to EUG! Long and exhausting trip... but it sure was fun! 😇

tripa04.jpg

Today's #422(22) just departed Austin 3 +hours Late due to a 4+ Hour Late #2 into San Antonio this morning!

Small consist, no Sightseer Lounge or Transdorm.

Heavy UP Freight congestion on the AUS-Taylor and BNSF TPL-FTW will probably cause more delays.
Are you sure about the transdorm? I’m pretty sure they are standard on 22 now and in the foreseeable future. If you go to Amtrak.com and try to book SAS-CHI, 22 will show roomettes only (transdorm) and 422 will show all accommodations (full sleeper).

Are you sure about the transdorm? I’m pretty sure they are standard on 22 now and in the foreseeable future. If you go to Amtrak.com and try to book SAS-CHI, 22 will show roomettes only (transdorm) and 422 will show all accommodations (full sleeper).
When I saw the 3+ Hour Late #22/#422 ( 1/22)yesterday in Austin the Consist was as I described it and the Agent on duty told me that this was usual set up on #422 days lately.

I do know that during Normal times on #421/#422 days, the #22 Sleeper is the Transdorm and the #421/#422 Sleeper( front of Train between Transdorm and CCC) and Coach( rear of Train) are for thru Passengers and usually cost more!

When I saw the 3+ Hour Late #22/#422 ( 1/22)yesterday in Austin the Consist was as I described it and the Agent on duty told me that this was usual set up on #422 days lately.

I do know that during Normal times on #421/#422 days, the #22 Sleeper is the Transdorm and the #421/#422 Sleeper( front of Train between Transdorm and CCC) and Coach( rear of Train) are for thru Passengers and usually cost more!
Interesting. I missed seeing yesterdays 22 on the Big Sandy VRF cam so I can’t comment on that train. But today’s 21 and nearly all of the 21/22’s that I’ve seen since mid-November have been running with a bookable 21/22 transdorm. And like I said, if you go to bookings through summer 21/22 has bookable roomettes.

Interesting. I missed seeing yesterdays 22 on the Big Sandy VRF cam so I can’t comment on that train. But today’s 21 and nearly all of the 21/22’s that I’ve seen since mid-November have been running with a bookable 21/22 transdorm. And like I said, if you go to bookings through summer 21/22 has bookable roomettes.
Thanks, guess once the Eagle gets its Sightseer Lounge back, and the Food situation is improved, Normal times will be returning to Amtrak and my "Home Train!"

Thanks, guess once the Eagle gets its Sightseer Lounge back, and the Food situation is improved, Normal times will be returning to Amtrak and my "Home Train!"
I can’t wait, as it’s my “Home Train” too! But, unfortunately I haven’t heard, nor do I see a return of the SSL anytime soon...:(
On a side note, I knew it was coming soon, but Feb 15 is the date on which Amtrak will evaluate June bookings to see if a return to daily service is warranted. I also saw some pax load data recently and the Texas Eagle was surprisingly holding it’s own, especially when the short consist is taken into consideration.

I can’t wait, as it’s my “Home Train” too! But, unfortunately I haven’t heard, nor do I see a return of the SSL anytime soon...:(
On a side note, I knew it was coming soon, but Feb 15 is the date on which Amtrak will evaluate June bookings to see if a return to daily service is warranted. I also saw some pax load data recently and the Texas Eagle was surprisingly holding it’s own, especially when the short consist is taken into consideration.
Yep, my agent friend in Austin told me that Austin passenger Numbers are running pretty steady in the Sleepers but with Coaches @50%, Capacity, the Numbers are down.

Of course there are more passengers on #421/#422 days!

With the holidays having passed I wouldn't be surprised to see some routes meeting the COVID hospitalization condition. Most routes also seem to be maintaining relatively high occupancy relative to the capacity. However, given current uncertainties it seems likely that few if any routes will meet the condition for future bookings.

Yep, my agent friend in Austin told me that Austin passenger Numbers are running pretty steady in the Sleepers but with Coaches @50%, Capacity, the Numbers are down.

Of course there are more passengers on #421/#422 days!
I will say, that on some days that I’ve recently looked at for 421/422 the bookings have been around the 45% (with 50 being full) to full level. To me this is good news for an addition of service, maybe even daily.

Hey there Bob Dylan, my friend... xcled the TE as you know because of all the pandemic paralysis but will be back when everything is up and running once again after the pandemic... and we will go to a tex Mex place for some beer and good food... and cement our friendship. I'm buying friend... and a good time we will have!!! 😇 🥑 🌶 😇
Habanero-Tex-Mex-Austin-12-1024x791.jpg

I will say, that on some days that I’ve recently looked at for 421/422 the bookings have been around the 45% (with 50 being full) to full level. To me this is good news for an addition of service, maybe even daily.
I was doing Test Bookings on #421/#422 from Austin-Alpine-Austin in Feb( after my Vaccine takes full effect ) and the Wed/Thursday Sleepers are mostly Low Bucket , but the weekend Trains are higher Buckets with a couple of days SOLD OUT.

I'm thinking of doing a Wed-Thurs Turn in a Sleeper to use up some points that have been piling up for the past year, ( BOA AGR Card)to have a "Safe " trip to help overcome Cabin Fever( the Sunset does have a Sightseer Lounge and Regular Diner).

Hey there Bob Dylan, my friend... xcled the TE as you know because of all the pandemic paralysis but will be back when everything is up and running once again after the pandemic... and we will go to a tex Mex place for some beer and good food... and cement our friendship. I'm buying friend... and a good time we will have!!! 😇 🥑 🌶 😇
View attachment 20410
Boy do I have The Place!!!😉😄

Back