Late trains Amtrak.com vs. Arrival Board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
While sitting here in Chicago waiting on 49 LSL to arrive, I noticed that Amtrak.com is saying it will arrive at 10:31am vs. the electronic arrival board in the gate area that says it will arrive at 10:40am. Why is there a difference?

Does the glass house control the arrival board and have nothing to do with Amtrak.com?

Thanks in advance!

While sitting here in Chicago waiting on 49 LSL to arrive, I noticed that Amtrak.com is saying it will arrive at 10:31am vs. the electronic arrival board in the gate area that says it will arrive at 10:40am. Why is there a difference?

Does the glass house control the arrival board and have nothing to do with Amtrak.com?

Thanks in advance!
You're worried about a nine minute difference? I would imagine the glass house is in contact with the train and knows exactly where it's at. Amtrak.com is probably based on its last station stop (South Bend?)

Thanks in advance!
This is pretty common when the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing! (Amtraks MO! :rolleyes: ) For example you can call "Julie" or check Train Status on Amtrak.com and get Arrival or departure times for LD Trains. The Station Board or Monitor will show a different Time and in the case of Automated Announcment Stations (ie Baltimore) they will announced Trains as "Arriving" "Arrived" that are NOT even in the Station, in fact they sometimes are running an hour Late as happened last May to some of us waiting to go to WAS for NTD! Youd think in this Hi-Tec age that Amtrak could get it co-ordinated and modernized without excuses about "Dispatchers (Amtrk runs the NEC!!!) lack of funds/overwork for the IT Dept." etc. etc. Railroads used to pride themselves on their OTP when they used "Railroad Watches" and Written Train orders, its 2011 folks, time to join the 21st Century! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance!
This is pretty common when the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing! (Amtraks MO! :rolleyes: ) For example you can call "Julie" or check Train Status on Amtrak.com and get Arrival or departure times for LD Trains. The Station Board or Monitor will show a different Time and in the case of Automated Announcment Stations (ie Baltimore) they will announced Trains as "Arriving" "Arrived" that are NOT even in the Station, in fact they sometimes are running an hour Late as happened last May to some of us waiting to go to WAS for NTD! Youd think in this Hi-Tec age that Amtrak could get it co-ordinated and modernized without excuses about "Dispatchers (Amtrk runs the NEC!!!) lack of funds/overwork for the IT Dept." etc. etc. Railroads used to pride themselves on their OTP when they used "Railroad Watches" and Written Train orders, its 2011 folks, time to join the 21st Century! :help:
I have seen times that train 7 is projected hours late into Spokane yet a check of projected

arrival into Seattle or Portland is still on time on Amtrak.com (and with Julie).

Thanks in advance!
I have seen times that train 7 is projected hours late into Spokane yet a check of projected

arrival into Seattle or Portland is still on time on Amtrak.com (and with Julie).
That's because there's a lot of padding in the westbound EB schedule from Havre, MT west. There's 50 minutes at Shelby, 10 minutes at Whitefish, 8 minutes between Sandpoint, ID and Spokane and 44 minutes padding and 35 minutes dwell time at Spokane. Additionally, between Everett, WA and Seattle there's another 47 minutes schedule padding.

If the train makes all it's run time exactly with no delays, it's gonna make up a lot of time.

Thanks in advance!
You're worried about a nine minute difference? I would imagine the glass house is in contact with the train and knows exactly where it's at. Amtrak.com is probably based on its last station stop (South Bend?)
I doubt that the Glass House's radio carries more than 2 or 3 miles away from the station, if that; so the train would have to be very close in order for the dispatcher in the GH to be in contact with the train.

I'm also not if the GH controls the arrival board for that matter.

Mind you, I've seen even more interesting things while in CUS. Like the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited estimated to arrive 30 minutes after the NY section arrives. A pretty neat trick since the Boston section is first in the consist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back