LAUS Metropolitan Lounge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I was boarding #2 on Sunday at LAX, and will report that Traxx (bar or restaurant) was definitely not being used as any sort of Amtrak lounge for that train. I was boarding #14 the previous week and got to take advantage of the bar, which is being used just for that train in the morning.

Secondly, that blurb in the route guide is hard to define as wrong, because it's not even a grammatically correct sentence as written. Here's what it says:

"Amtrak’s Magnolia Room Lounge is available for Sleeping car passengers boarding in New Orleans and Traxx Club in Los Angeles."

[grammar pedantry] That sentence is separated into two clauses at "and" and the second one is missing some sort of verb. That, or "New Orleans" and "Traxx Club in Los Angeles" are both objects of the preposition "in", which would mean the sentence reads as "there's a Magnolia Room for sleeper passengers boarding in New Orleans, and there's a Magnolia Room available for sleeper passengers boarding in Traxx Club" [/grammar pedantry]

I'm just going to assume that in the printing process, the rest of that sentence got cut off and it was supposed to read like this: "Amtrak’s Magnolia Room Lounge is available for Sleeping car passengers boarding in New Orleans and Traxx Club in Los Angeles is most definitely not available or being used for this train in any way shape or form."

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Angeles 1st Class Lounge Construction $0.5M - Amtrak leased space available to create a Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge for the benefit of sleeping car and business class travel, and Amtrak’s guest rewards select plus members.

Note that it says "leased", not "is planning to lease" nor "will attempt to lease" or anything like that.
I believe that should be Amtrak-leased, not Amtrak leased -- in other words, it's an adjective describing the potential future Metropolitan Lounge space, not a past-tense verb.

Los Angeles 1st Class Lounge Construction $0.5M - Amtrak leased space available to create a Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge for the benefit of sleeping car and business class travel, and Amtrak’s guest rewards select plus members.

Note that it says "leased", not "is planning to lease" nor "will attempt to lease" or anything like that.
I believe that should be Amtrak-leased, not Amtrak leased -- in other words, it's an adjective describing the potential future Metropolitan Lounge space, not a past-tense verb.
Sure, but it's the only operative verb in that sentence. If you want to destroy the predicate entirely and turn the whole thing into an incomplete sentence, then I guess you could read it that way.

I still don't understand how reading it that way turns it into future and not past. Seeing that as an adjective, the phrase "Amtrak-leased space" still describes space that Amtrak has leased. How does your interpretation in any way change the meaning?

Sure, but it's the only operative verb in that sentence. If you want to destroy the predicate entirely and turn the whole thing into an incomplete sentence, then I guess you could read it that way.

I still don't understand how reading it that way turns it into future and not past. Seeing that as an adjective, the phrase "Amtrak-leased space" still describes space that Amtrak has leased. How does your interpretation in any way change the meaning?
Try this example sentence: "What I am looking forward to on my next trip in a sleeper is eating the Amtrak-provided meals." Has Amtrak provided the meals? No, not yet, but it will. "Provided," or "Amtrak-provided," is an adjective, or maybe an adjectival, describing the meals; it is not a verb and has no tense. Correct me if I am wrong, grammarians.

Alright, try this example sentence, "Amtrak provided meals on my train."

Now try this example, "Amtrak-provided meals on my train." This second example is not a sentence.

Now try this example, "Amtrak-provided meals on my train." This second example is not a sentence.
Things I ate on vacation:

* Free breakfast in my hotel

* Hot dogs at the baseball game

* Amtrak-provided meals on my train

Things Amtrak would like to spend money on:

* New locomotives

* New sleeping cars

* Amtrak-leased space in Los Angeles Union Station

In other words, it's a bullet point, not a complete sentence.

So the same thing may happen with the LA Metropolitan Lounge. Don't expect it to open before September and don't be surprised if there's a budget line item for it in the FY2014 budget as well. I have no doubt that Amtrak is committed to it, but sometimes they run their projects slow (cash management is probably part of this; running into unexpected problems is probably another part).
This just in from intrepid AU field reporter Tracktwentynine:

Just talked to the lady at the baggage desk at LAUS. She says the met lounge at Union Station is under construction now and could be open by the end of July.
She said it's on the second floor somewhere, but I don't know the station well enough to know what that means.
Who knows if the baggage lady knows what she's talking about, but hopefully she's right!

This is almost exactly what I said in the post that started this thread, except for the second floor part. Nice to see a second report on it.

So the same thing may happen with the LA Metropolitan Lounge. Don't expect it to open before September and don't be surprised if there's a budget line item for it in the FY2014 budget as well. I have no doubt that Amtrak is committed to it, but sometimes they run their projects slow (cash management is probably part of this; running into unexpected problems is probably another part).
This just in from intrepid AU field reporter Tracktwentynine:

Just talked to the lady at the baggage desk at LAUS. She says the met lounge at Union Station is under construction now and could be open by the end of July.
She said it's on the second floor somewhere, but I don't know the station well enough to know what that means.
Who knows if the baggage lady knows what she's talking about, but hopefully she's right!
Excellent! We will be there in mid August.

I didn't even realize there was a second floor!
I didn't know that either but there is a 2nd floor above the annex that housed the former Harvey House and another on the North side of the ticket office in another annex that probably housed railroad offices. I only know this from looking at Bing Maps "birds eye view". They apparently were never open to the public.

There is a "2nd story" structure at track level along the west side of the platform area. That building includes Amtrak offices. That building is relatively new (post Amtrak). "2nd Story" and "near Amtrak ticket office" would be consistent with that structure. That area originally held baggage and mail handling facilities, including a conveyor for mail, but that is long gone.

It makes a kind of sense, since that location could allow for direct access to the platforms (although you'd have to walk around the south end if you weren't using the tunnel) kind of like the rear door in Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge.

There is a "2nd story" structure at track level along the west side of the platform area. That building includes Amtrak offices. That building is relatively new (post Amtrak). "2nd Story" and "near Amtrak ticket office" would be consistent with that structure. That area originally held baggage and mail handling facilities, including a conveyor for mail, but that is long gone.
It makes a kind of sense, since that location could allow for direct access to the platforms (although you'd have to walk around the south end if you weren't using the tunnel) kind of like the rear door in Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge.
Actually, I think that 2nd story structure was there pre-Amtrak, for baggage and mail handling for UP, SP, and Santa Fe. However, the problem with using the same-level access to the train platforms would require crossing the Gold Line light rail tracks at grade, and I doubt VERY MUCH that would be allowed for safety reasons.

Agreed. That building would work. And they could run the pax out to loading platform on Red Cap golf carts. If it is really scheduled to open in July, why isn't Amtrak's PR & Marketing Depts. promoting it?

I have been up the stairs just around the corner from the Amtrak ticketing area (which leads to more offices and a parking lot above the ticketing area) and that is most certainly where it will be. It is not hard at all to backtrack a few paces and cross around the ticket counter area to get to the main tunnel. Certainly no more roundabout than at WAS or CHI. There may be an elevator somewhere as well for handicap access, but if it is, we didn't notice it. - Rob

There is an elevator at the end of that short hall. Here is a link to a pictorial on how to get bikes boxed at LAUS that includes the upstairs freight area.

Hubby and I will be back at LAUS in December, changing trains from the SL to the CS -- looking forward to using the new lounge! I can picture where it is, but not how we'll be getting to the track. It will be really nice to have a place to "hang out."

Thanks, Ryan, for posting my field report.

Just back from my trip OKJ - LAX - NOL.

I don't have any other information to report about the lounge. But the baggage lady seemed pretty sure of it. She mentioned it because I was saying to my friend, "It's a shame they don't have a Metropolitan Lounge at LA", and she overheard it.

Actually, I think that 2nd story structure was there pre-Amtrak, for baggage and mail handling for UP, SP, and Santa Fe. However, the problem with using the same-level access to the train platforms would require crossing the Gold Line light rail tracks at grade, and I doubt VERY MUCH that would be allowed for safety reasons.
Forgot those go through now, and the station is no longer stub on the south end for everything.

Forgot those go through now, and the station is no longer stub on the south end for everything.
There is a small gated at-grade crossing for the Gold Line located at the south end of the platforms. It's only one lane wide and used mostly used by Amtrak to shuttle the baggage floats to and from the train and by Metrolink commuters walking to the First 5/Metropolitan Water District office buildings.

It would totally feasible for Amtrak to buy several golf carts to take passengers and their bags from the lounge out to their train (especially if there's no coach traffic on the platform yet.) But I imagine Metro wouldn't want large groups of people walking across the grade crossing (with bags in tow) when there's a pedestrian tunnel below. Plus it's a pretty long walk (about .25 miles) and is mostly uncovered which wouldn't be a fun experience on rainy or hot days in LA.

Not to mention that four run-through tracks (which MTA now calls the Southern California Regional Interconnection Project --- SCRIP) are in the process of being designed/built. Eight tracks will funnel down to the run-throughs. MTA has planned to release the RFP for this just about now according to their last status meeting. They have set a high priority on it and it looks like they could start construction before the end of the year.

Not to mention that four run-through tracks (which MTA now calls the Southern California Regional Interconnection Project --- SCRIP) are in the process of being designed/built. Eight tracks will funnel down to the run-throughs. MTA has planned to release the RFP for this just about now according to their last status meeting. They have set a high priority on it and it looks like they could start construction before the end of the year.
Can you give me a link to get more info?

Here's a link to a presentation Metro gave on the project back in April:

http://www.thetransitcoalition.us/largepdffiles/2013-4-25-SCRIPPresentation.pdf

Originally when this was proposed as the "Run-Through Tracks" project it was much less ambitious. Trains would only be able to depart to and arrive from the South on just a few tracks and trains could only access the tracks on the west bank of the LA River (trains to/from the south or east via Fullerton.)

After Metro purchased LAUS they made the project much more ambitious. Trains will be able to depart to and arrive from the south on at least 8 tracks (out of 12) and a new wye plus two new river bridges will create a loop around Union Station allow all of Metrolink and Amtrak's trains to depart from the south (even if they are heading east or north.)

Should help to increase station capacity and removes a very problematic bottleneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back