LAX (Airpot) to LAX (LAUS) and Sunset Limited info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Pulling a spur of the moment trip, luckily got the last Roomette leaving LAX on Fri the 20th (bedrooms were sold out already...watching, and hoping one opens up...)-Saw a brief article online about how 6 Flags Magic Mountain was going to close Colossus this year, by August. I'm not a huge theme park fan, but my 13 YO Son and I have watched National Lampoons Family Vacation about 200 times, and every time at the end, when we watch Chevy and Family, with John Candy on the coaster, he says "We need to go ride that one Dad".....Frankly I didn't even know where that was shot at, or if it was still running-But reading that article, it mentioned Six Flags Magic Mountain was "Wally World" and Colossus was the coaster, and that it was going to be shut down this year....

Well, I went and did something rash, and decided we had to ride it before it was torn down. Flying to LAX on a Thursday evening, getting a rental car. Will do the park Friday, ride the Wally World Coaster before it gets knocked down, and then catch the SL/TE that night for the 10 PM departure that night, and get home late Sunday evening. I take the TE regularly between CHI and FTW, and have gone from Yuma-STL once, but that was a long time ago-Have a few Q's

1. I've never really been to LA, other than flying in, getting a car, and leaving the city-It looks like quite a ways from LAX Airport where we will drop the rental, over to LAUS where we catch the train-Is there a better/cheaper alternative than a cab? Shuttles? Light Rail? Direct express type city bus?

2. I've seen a thread that I can't find now, with some cool pictures out the window looking int Mexico-What section of the route is right along the visible boarder looking into the buildings in Mexico? My son will think that's pretty neat-

3. I remember from my last trip between YUM and STL, we went over a really high bridge in the desert somewhere-I can't recall the name, but I know someone here knows where it is.

4. Lounge in LA-Since we're dropping the rental off, and cabbing over, I will have some padding in the schedule to allow for traffic, being a Friday night-Assuming we get there early, LAX has a Metropolitan Lounge now, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like "Google is my friend".....found the LAX Flyaway Bus runs between LAX terminal 1 and LAUS every 30 minutes. I think that will be perfect, and a lot cheaper than a cab! Looks like I just buy two tickets, and take whichever time fits us best? Not reserved seating on the bus? I think we'll shoot for the 8 PM departure, that should give us more than enough cusion, anyone in the know agree? Thanks!

Sorry for the spellcheck error. To restate, it's the Pecos River bridge located east of Langtry, Texas.

Don't miss it.

The FlyAway bus circles LAX and leaves from all the terminal every thirty minutes. Actually, you don't purchase a ticket before boarding at LAX. The process is to the board the bus at LAX and then when you get off the bus at Union Station there is a ticket hut and you purchase your ticket at that time and present the ticket stub to the bus driver to get your luggage which is stored under the bus when you originally board. Going from Union Station to LAX you purchase the ticket just pror to boarding the bus.

when you get off the bus at Union Station there is a ticket hut and you purchase your ticket at that time and present the ticket stub to the bus driver to get your luggage which is stored under the bus when you originally board.
Sooooo... if I don't have any luggage, I can ride this bus from LAX to LAUS for free? :p

The FlyAway bus Is the way to go!Other posters covered the info!

The bridge is the Pecos River Highbridge but it's usually Dark on the Eastbound Sunset when you cross it!

The border in El Paso is visible before you cross out of New Mexico into Texas! On the right side of #2 you see the US version of the Berlin Wall with the BP Green and Whites sitting there every mile or so! After you pass the old Smelter, now closed, you'll see the houses amd roads on the Mexican side in Juarez! Its so close kids sometimes throw rocks @ the Train and others wave! Once you reach the station the border is still very close but you won't see it as a Highway runs between the Station and the Border! (If you use your cell phone it may pick up the Mexican Cell Towers and you'll be charged International Roaming Rates!)

The Nice NewMetro Lounge is upstairs past the Amtrak Ticket Counters (elevator I'd around the corner) and its open until the Sunset Leaves! Redcap service with cart service is available but you can also go back downstairs and walk to the platform through the tunnel! The Traxx Bar in the Lobby ( old Lounge for the Coast Starlight) is a nice place for a drink and the Traxx Restaurant is a very good (but pricey)place for dinner!

Thanks all, appreciate the pics and input. I think after a day in the sun riding rides, eating park food, and walking around all day, by the time we make it to the station, all we'll want, is to get on, get showered, and get in bed! Might have to have a beer at Traxx while waiting, after standing in line most of the day will probably need it! Bet that will be the best sleep I ever get on a train after that day...might even be showered and asleep before the wheels turn!

Don't forget about the new Metropolitan Lounge in LAX. It's very nice and has the best amenities out of all the Metro Lounges. It's on the second floor behind the ticket counters. The Flyaway Bus is the way to go. Very easy!

And by the time you get to Phoenix (er, Tucson) she'll be waking. She'll find the note you left hanging by the door. She'll laugh when she reads the part that says you're leaving (the airport via a bus to go ride a train)....

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Flyaway bus is the right choice. The ticket cost recently went up to $8 per person per ride. If you're not sure where to catch the bus just ask.

Ill add my pictures from January on the Sunset Limited to the pool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/sets/72157640159976306/

Hope you get Alice Wong as your waitress in the dining car! With all the other horror stories about dining car staff, your guaranteed that Alice is not one of them. 35 year with Amtrak 79 years old and has only been working on the Sunset Limited since the 90's. Also, yes take the Fly Away bus to Union Station. We took the Sunset To NOLA and then flew back took the Fly Away to Union Station where we parked our car before leaving. Just make sure you get on the correct Fly Away bus.

Here's some photos from my last two times on the Sunset Limited. We were in the 421 and 422 sleepers LA to Temple, TX and return...

August 2013

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157635985530103/

December 2012

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157632626569620/
John your 2012 pictures of the Superliner Bedrooms were absolutely valuable to us. Your pictures really gave us a good sense of what to expect when in the bedroom. Your pictures came up when doing a search for Superliner Bedrooms.

I've used the Flyaway bus a couple times as well. Highly recommend it to get to LAX from Union Station.

Be sure to have the car rental shuttle drop you off at Terminal 1 at the airport to catch the Flyaway bus! Many employees take it to work and it can fill up so you want to get on at the first stop!!

Ah no Alice left yesterday on 2 ( Friday June 6) the crew you will be a good crew( my old crew) and have best sleeper attendant in town . Excellent ! Enjoy

Don't forget about the new Metropolitan Lounge in LAX. It's very nice and has the best amenities out of all the Metro Lounges. It's on the second floor behind the ticket counters. The Flyaway Bus is the way to go. Very easy!
The Red Caps will take you to your train through the back door of the lounge. No need to walk to the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back