LAX connection Pacific Surfliner to Coast Starlight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusTrain

Train Attendant
Our morning Pacific Surfliner to Coast Starlight connection in March is very tight
(Surfliner arrival 8:57am…Starlight departure 9:51am=51 minutes)….
we have never had a connection this close….
Any advise about getting off and heading straight to the Starlight?….Should I check with a conductor on the Surfliner? Would these trains be close in proximity to each other?
I appreciate any knowledge & wisdom! Thanks

The Surfliner is usually pretty punctual. You'll probably get into LAX before the Starlight starts boarding.

If running a little bit late, you should be able to see which track the Starlight is boarding from as you're pulling in. Amtrak tends to stay on the same few tracks, with Metrolink having the tracks closest to the station building.

The Surfliner is usually pretty punctual. You'll probably get into LAX before the Starlight starts boarding.

If running a little bit late, you should be able to see which track the Starlight is boarding from as you're pulling in. Amtrak tends to stay on the same few tracks, with Metrolink having the tracks closest to the station building.
Thank you so much! 😃

Sounds like the northbound 765. I’ve been on it when it was late, so that’s always a possibility. Not sure if it will wait for 765 like they might wait a few minutes for a late connecting bus. But one possibility is just riding an earlier Surfliner train (will have to be at least the day before) and staying overnight near Union Station. The Surfliner is considered “unreserved” except for special holiday dates. I’ve never had a problem taking an earlier or later train than specified on my ticket.

Another possibility if you’re in a pinch might be to take a bus. What’s your departure station on the Surfliner? I don’t think being a no show on an unreserved train will cancel your entire reservation. There are also a lot more early morning trains on Metrolink, but they only take Surfliner monthly passes in lieu of Metrolink tickets. But those tickets are pretty cheap (Anaheim to Union Station is only $8.75). That’s only going to work if you start off in Orange County.

Is this a single booking or booked separately? If it’s a single booking the connections are guaranteed, although making it the next day or getting some alternate means to meet up with the Coast Starlight might not be that great an option.

From Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database

History for Amtrak 765 at LAX (Los Angeles - Union Station, CA)
Origin Date Sch Ar Act Ar Comments Service Disruption Cancellations
02/15/2023 (We) 02/15/2023 8:57 AM (We) 8:56AM Ar: 1 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/14/2023 (Tu) 02/14/2023 8:57 AM (Tu) 8:51AM Ar: 6 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/13/2023 (Mo) 02/13/2023 8:57 AM (Mo) 8:51AM Ar: 6 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/12/2023 (Su) 02/12/2023 8:57 AM (Su) 8:51AM Ar: 6 min early.
02/11/2023 (Sa) 02/11/2023 8:57 AM (Sa) 9:01AM Ar: 4 min late.
02/10/2023 (Fr) 02/10/2023 8:57 AM (Fr) 8:57AM Ar: On time. | Dp: On time.
02/09/2023 (Th) 02/09/2023 8:57 AM (Th) 8:53AM Ar: 4 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/08/2023 (We) 02/08/2023 8:57 AM (We) 10:28AM Ar: 1 hr, 31 min late. | Dp: 1 hr, 30 min late.
02/07/2023 (Tu) 02/07/2023 8:57 AM (Tu) 8:52AM Ar: 5 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/06/2023 (Mo) 02/06/2023 8:57 AM (Mo) 8:54AM Ar: 3 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/05/2023 (Su) 02/05/2023 8:57 AM (Su) 8:54AM Ar: 3 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/04/2023 (Sa) 02/04/2023 8:57 AM (Sa) 8:57AM Ar: On time. | Dp: On time.
02/03/2023 (Fr) 02/03/2023 8:57 AM (Fr) 8:57AM Ar: On time. | Dp: 1 min late.
02/02/2023 (Th) 02/02/2023 8:57 AM (Th) 8:53AM Ar: 4 min early. | Dp: On time.
02/01/2023 (We) 02/01/2023 8:57 AM (We) 8:54AM Ar: 3 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/31/2023 (Tu) 01/31/2023 8:57 AM (Tu) 9:01AM Ar: 4 min late. | Dp: On time.
01/30/2023 (Mo) 01/30/2023 8:57 AM (Mo) 8:54AM Ar: 3 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/29/2023 (Su) 01/29/2023 8:57 AM (Su) 8:50AM Ar: 7 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/28/2023 (Sa) 01/28/2023 8:57 AM (Sa) PT
01/27/2023 (Fr) 01/27/2023 8:57 AM (Fr) 11:49AM Ar: 2 hr, 52 min late. | Dp: 2 hr, 49 min late.
01/26/2023 (Th) 01/26/2023 8:57 AM (Th) 8:58AM Ar: 1 min late. | Dp: On time.
01/25/2023 (We) 01/25/2023 8:57 AM (We) 8:48AM Ar: 9 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/24/2023 (Tu) 01/24/2023 8:57 AM (Tu) 9:00AM Ar: 3 min late. | Dp: On time.
01/23/2023 (Mo) 01/23/2023 8:57 AM (Mo) 8:53AM Ar: 4 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/22/2023 (Su) 01/22/2023 8:57 AM (Su) 8:52AM Ar: 5 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/21/2023 (Sa) 01/21/2023 8:57 AM (Sa) 8:49AM Ar: 8 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/20/2023 (Fr) 01/20/2023 8:57 AM (Fr) 8:49AM Ar: 8 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/19/2023 (Th) 01/19/2023 8:57 AM (Th) 9:19AM Ar: 22 min late. | Dp: 16 min late.
01/18/2023 (We) 01/18/2023 8:57 AM (We) 8:51AM Ar: 6 min early. | Dp: On time.
01/17/2023 (Tu) 01/17/2023 8:57 AM (Tu) 8:54AM Ar: 3 min early. | Dp: 1 min late.
Average Ar delay: 7 minutes late
Median Ar delay: 3 minutes early

765 was late 7 times into LAX over thirty days. Only two of those days were "siginificant" enough to miss your connection: 1:31, 2:52.
Of course you could wind up being on one of few "those" days!

Thank you everyone!
Your amount of knowledge and expertise is astounding….
after looking at the on-time history we decided to take our chances and stick with the original plan….
our departure station is San Diego Old Town with the current 765 train-bus-train…it’s part of a single reservation made months ago with a guaranteed connection…
we cannot leave San Diego the previous day-
We have taken the train lots before and have had incredible luck with connections up to this point, so we are opting to keep a positive attitude and roll with whatever happens if we are late….
thanks again!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
Your amount of knowledge and expertise is astounding….
after looking at the on-time history we decided to take our chances and stick with the original plan….
our departure station is San Diego Old Town with the current 765 train-bus-train…it’s part of a single reservation made months ago with a guaranteed connection…
we cannot leave San Diego the previous day-
We have taken the train lots before and have had incredible luck with connections up to this point, so we are opting to keep a positive attitude and roll with whatever happens if we are late….
thanks again!!

Oh - I think anyone who has taken Amtrak enough times has stories about interminable delays and other issues. You just kind of roll with it and take it as it comes.

However, there's nothing that inherently requires being overly concerned about connection times. If there's a reason beyond your own control that you miss a connection, Amtrak will attempt to make things right whether it's hotel rooms or another Amtrak train/bus. I've even heard of Amtrak paying for buses or other transportation to meet up with a train. But the key is that you'll need to track down an Amtrak employee.

I've helped friends with their Amtrak reservations, and they had various delays and Amtrak made sure to get them to their destination. When their bus was delayed, there was an Amtrak employee waiting for them to make the alternate arrangements.

Depending on where you're going, there will be various Amtrak bus/train combinations that could either get you to your destination or where you could actually catch up. If you're going north of the Bay Area (or even to the Bay Area), there's the 5717/717 bus/train combo that arrives in Martinez/Emeryville/Oakland before the northbound Coast Starlight arrives and leaves at 10:55 AM. That may be the only alternate Amtrak transportation that might work to catch up.

Oh - I think anyone who has taken Amtrak enough times has stories about interminable delays and other issues. You just kind of roll with it and take it as it comes.

However, there's nothing that inherently requires being overly concerned about connection times. If there's a reason beyond your own control that you miss a connection, Amtrak will attempt to make things right whether it's hotel rooms or another Amtrak train/bus. I've even heard of Amtrak paying for buses or other transportation to meet up with a train. But the key is that you'll need to track down an Amtrak employee.

I've helped friends with their Amtrak reservations, and they had various delays and Amtrak made sure to get them to their destination. When their bus was delayed, there was an Amtrak employee waiting for them to make the alternate arrangements.

Depending on where you're going, there will be various Amtrak bus/train combinations that could either get you to your destination or where you could actually catch up. If you're going north of the Bay Area (or even to the Bay Area), there's the 5717/717 bus/train combo that arrives in Martinez/Emeryville/Oakland before the northbound Coast Starlight arrives and leaves at 10:55 AM. That may be the only alternate Amtrak transportation that might work to catch up.
Great info! We enjoy all the new adventures we get on Amtrak & their employees are always helpful to us 👍

FYI. I was able to check my bags for Portland at the San Diego Station. That’s something you might want to check into.

Note for the original poster that this refers to the Santa Fe Depot (in downtown San Diego), not the Old Town station. You could check your bags if you're able to make a trip downtown the previous day, but otherwise, you'll just have to carry your bags on when you board at Old Town.

Great info! We enjoy all the new adventures we get on Amtrak & their employees are always helpful to us 👍

The Coast Starlight takes its own sweet time getting from point A to point B. I think southbound from Emeryville to San Jose takes about 2 hours while it just takes a leisurely route. But there are alternatives. I know that many have colorful nicknames for alternative busing on Amtrak, but it really does help cover that which the trains can't or miss for whatever reason.

Have fun on your trip.

FYI. I was able to check my bags for Portland at the San Diego Station. That’s something you might want to check into.

Not sure what they're doing now with the bus bridge and track work. OK - looked it up and checked baggage service has been completely suspended.

• Baggage Service Suspended: Checked baggage will not be available while we operate on a modified schedule. Luggage may still be carried and stored onboard. You may bring two personal items that measure up to 14” x 11” x 7” each, and weigh up to 25 pounds each. You may also bring two carry-on bags that measure up to 28" x 22" x 11" each, and weigh up to 50 pounds each.

Can confirm no checked baggage along the Surfliner, at least right now.

Bus bridges are still in place on weekdays until the San Clemente repairs are done - probably sometime in April. Weekend service is entirely by train.

Not sure what they're doing now with the bus bridge and track work. OK - looked it up and checked baggage service has been completely suspended.

• Baggage Service Suspended: Checked baggage will not be available while we operate on a modified schedule. Luggage may still be carried and stored onboard. You may bring two personal items that measure up to 14” x 11” x 7” each, and weigh up to 25 pounds each. You may also bring two carry-on bags that measure up to 28" x 22" x 11" each, and weigh up to 50 pounds each.

That was several years ago.

On my trip from San Diego to Los Angeles October 6, I can check 2 bags free and up to 2 more for $20 dollars. So it sounds like this is temporary.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my trip from San Diego to Los Angeles October 6, I can check 2 bags free and up to 2 more for $20 dollars. So it sounds like this is temporary.
Probably is suspended due to the bus bridge. Do you expect them to move luggage from the train to the bus then from the bus to to the train? That would add considerable time to the trip.

That was several years ago.

There’s no ETA on when the suspension will be lifted. But in the meantime checked baggage has been completely suspended on the Pacific Surfliner.

Probably is suspended due to the bus bridge. Do you expect them to move luggage from the train to the bus then from the bus to to the train? That would add considerable time to the trip.

The only Amtrak bus services I recall that ever had any kind of checked baggage was to from SFC when it had an actual “station building”. I don’t know how it worked as the times I used the bus I never had more than a bag I took with me. Even Amtrak complicated “carry on” might be too big and fit in the baggage hold anyways.

It doesn’t seem terribly practical to do all that at unstaffed stations.

I make the 765->14 connection once in a while. It is a guaranteed connection and is the default routing when you try to book from the Surfliner to the CS. 761 gives you an option to arrive at LAX two hours earlier when it is running (currently only Sat/Sun/Mon instead of daily due to the OC trackwork).

If 765 is delayed, they may hold 14 if the delay is not too bad, just like they do for late passengers connecting from the SL and SWC. However, if you're really delayed, they'll send 14 off and the alternate routing is the Bakersfield bus to the San Joaquins, connecting in Martinez or Sacramento. Ugh.

I make the 765->14 connection once in a while. It is a guaranteed connection and is the default routing when you try to book from the Surfliner to the CS. 761 gives you an option to arrive at LAX two hours earlier when it is running (currently only Sat/Sun/Mon instead of daily due to the OC trackwork).

If 765 is delayed, they may hold 14 if the delay is not too bad, just like they do for late passengers connecting from the SL and SWC. However, if you're really delayed, they'll send 14 off and the alternate routing is the Bakersfield bus to the San Joaquins, connecting in Martinez or Sacramento. Ugh.
I really appreciate your input & our potential outcomes…. We’ve never taken any Amtrak buses, but we already will get one between Oceanside and Irvine….so if we get the Bakersfield/San Joaquins, we will be very experienced after this trip! We will take whatever comes! 😃
There was also lots of discussion regarding checking bags-but when we ride the train we only take backpacks as carryons, so we won’t have that to fret over 👍
Thanks again!

I really appreciate your input & our potential outcomes…. We’ve never taken any Amtrak buses, but we already will get one between Oceanside and Irvine….so if we get the Bakersfield/San Joaquins, we will be very experienced after this trip! We will take whatever comes! 😃
There was also lots of discussion regarding checking bags-but when we ride the train we only take backpacks as carryons, so we won’t have that to fret over 👍
Thanks again!

You'll still have to fret over "carry on" on a bus. Most buses that are used for Amtrak service have the tiniest overhead racks. Most baggage up to Amtrak's maximum carry on size probably needs to go into the baggage hold. I've had stuff stashed in the baggage hold. The driver will usually be there, but I had worries that maybe someone mistakenly (or perhaps intentionally) takes my baggage at an intermediate stop. It's all on the honor system.

Probably not that big a deal with a bus bridge since everyone boards and deboards at the same places.

I think the one thing I saw that was really bizarre was the time a driver forgot to close the baggage hold. There were pedestrians waving/shouting at the driver and pointing at the bus. Fortunately nothing fell out.

You'll still have to fret over "carry on" on a bus. Most buses that are used for Amtrak service have the tiniest overhead racks. Most baggage up to Amtrak's maximum carry on size probably needs to go into the baggage hold. I've had stuff stashed in the baggage hold. The driver will usually be there, but I had worries that maybe someone mistakenly (or perhaps intentionally) takes my baggage at an intermediate stop. It's all on the honor system.

Probably not that big a deal with a bus bridge since everyone boards and deboards at the same places.

I think the one thing I saw that was really bizarre was the time a driver forgot to close the baggage hold. There were pedestrians waving/shouting at the driver and pointing at the bus. Fortunately nothing fell out.
Good info! Thanks!! After all my efforts to keep positive & calm with the bustitutions & tight connection time, my husband will really appreciate I will still have something to fret about! Haha

Back