LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas, all. This is my first post. Hope I'm in the right spot. I'm planning far ahead a rail trip from Michigan to visit my son in Portland OR. I'm looking at the SWC and CS. The only thing that gives me pause is LAX. How hard is it to navigate? I have read so much conflicting information as to availability of assistance and the general safety of the place. Can anybody give me the scoop? Thank you in advance.

I've never had a problem at LA Union Station – I think it's fine. Don't know about redcap and/or handicapped assistance, except that it's there. It's easy to navigate – only one tunnel that leads to all the tracks. If you're a sleeper or business class passenger, you can use the lounge, and they'll help you with what you need.

Compared to Union Station in Chicago – ease of navigation, personal safety, general ambiance – it's a dream. I enjoy going there.

I'm a certified Little Old Lady, and I have been through LAX many times, both with, and without, my Hubby. I have never felt intimidated by anyone in the station. I do not need assistance (in fact, I prefer to walk and get the exercise before/after a train trip), but I have noticed that there seem to be plenty of redcaps with electric carts. I am always offered a ride, so I assume that there are enough of them to go around, LOL.

Going outside the station is only a little different. There is a garden court where I sometimes step out for a breath of air, and it appears to be patrolled by security. No one should bother you there. However, if you go out the front door of the station and across the street to the park, you should walk with purpose and not stop to admire the scenery, or you may be panhandled. This is not to say don't go there -- I do pass around that park sometimes on my way to Olvera Street (right across the way, and very historic/worth seeing if you have an hour) or Chinatown. Another destination is Philippe's, an excellent breakfast destination when you arrive on the SWC. It's only a few blocks north of the station (not towards the park). But I always act like I know where I am going (look at a map before you go), and I do not make eye contact with the park's residents. I think the L.A. police department comes down hard on homeless that bother tourists, because they do not initiate contact that is obviously unwanted.

Red Caps are there on arrival - more common at the sleeper end of the train. If really needed, you might alert your car attendant.

If you are traveling sleeper, the Red Cap may take you to the Metropolitan Lounge, if you wish. to wait for the Coast Starlight. From there, a Red Cap will take you out to your next train at the appropriate time.

I have never felt at all uncomfortable at Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal. I have walked to Olvera Street to find a restaurant, and did not see any shady characters.

Old guy here, never any issues. I make it all on my own, use coach and sleeper, trains are on time and I am prompt. I enjoy the station and never have had any problems.

The Southwest Chief (SWC) to Coast Starlight (CS) connection is only 2:05 hours apart at LAX.

The SWC that arrived in LA this morning was - 2:05 late.

Yesterday morning 12/24 - the SWC was 3 hours, 41 minutes late.

The SWC that arrives at LAX tomorrow morning is shown on Amtrak's Track-A-Train as currently being 38 minutes late tonight and approaching Gallup, NM.

For a variety of reasons, most often because Amtrak does not own the tracks, the SWC winds up running late.

That LA is at the end of the route means that is where the SWC usually is the latest if it is late.

However, if the SWC to CS connection is on a single reservation the connection is guaranteed.

They might even hold the CS for a time if the SWC is running late.

Connecting TrainsAmtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor). Please call Amtrak 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your travel agent if your planned itinerary includes a shorter connection. A guaranteed connection does not ensure that such a connection will always be made. In the case of a missed guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Southwest Chief (SWC) to Coast Starlight (CS) connection is only 2:05 hours apart at LAX.

The SWC that arrived in LA this morning was - 2:05 late.

Yesterday morning 12/24 - the SWC was 3 hours, 41 minutes late.

The SWC that arrives at LAX tomorrow morning is shown on Amtrak's Track-A-Train as currently being 38 minutes late tonight and approaching Gallup, NM.

For a variety of reasons, most often because Amtrak does not own the tracks, the SWC winds up running late.

That LA is at the end of the route means that is where the SWC usually is the latest if it is late.

However, if the SWC to CS connection is on a single reservation the connection is guaranteed.

They might even hold the CS for a time if the SWC is running late.

Connecting TrainsAmtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor). Please call Amtrak 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your travel agent if your planned itinerary includes a shorter connection. A guaranteed connection does not ensure that such a connection will always be made. In the case of a missed guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's discretion.
Amtrak will hold the CS a reasonable amount of time to accommodate SWC travelers. My last arrival on the SWC at LA we were a little over three hours late and the CS was not held. Before arrival, Amtrak was making announcements how various connections would be handled for the Coast Starlight and other trains.

If you want to visit Portland and have no interest in seeing California wouldn't it make more sense to just take the Empire Builder so you don't have to worry about missed connections?

Instead of putting you up for a night in Los Angeles, Amtrak is most likely to provide alternate transportation via Bakersville on a Amtrak California Train to Sacramento or Martinez to meet the Coast Starlight.

Instead of putting you up for a night in Los Angeles, Amtrak is most likely to provide alternate transportation via Bakersville on a Amtrak California Train to Sacramento or Martinez to meet the Coast Starlight.
I *have* been put up in LA, when my arriving train (I think it was the Sunset Ltd) was late enough to make the Bakersfield route a moot point.

The route via Bakersfield goes inland from LAX. You go by bus to Bakersfield and then by train up California's Central Valley. That train is run by the State of California, and the consist is more like a commuter train (the seats are closer together and not as comfortable as Amtrak's long distance trains. There are outlets and tray tables). There is no diner, just a cafe/lounge car. There are no sleepers -- so if you were originally booked in a sleeper, they should put you in Business Class. That route is faster than the route along the coast, so you catch up with the Coast Starlight at Martinez or Sacramento, I believe. They say the scenery is boring -- a lot of farmland and urban sprawl, lots of dust and poverty. But some day I will take that route just to do something different, as I've taken the Coast Starlight many times. I'd love to do it in the spring (California's spring is early, and lasts a long time) to see the orchards in bloom and the fields all green. If it's clear enough, I'll bet the Sierra range is visible.

As I said, I have not actually done this (though I have been on the Surfliner, which uses the same type of equipment). I believe the stations along that route can be pretty sketchy (some place you would not care to linger). I hope someone will fill in these details, and correct me if I am wrong on anything.

I wanted to go SWC and CS to see some more of the United States. I plan to take the Empire Builder home. And here I was worried about missing my connection by not finding my way around LAX.

The California Zephyr is quite a bit more scenic than the Southwest Chief.

many think the California Zephyr rout is Amtrak's most scenic route.

Going over the Rocky Mountains as the train rails alongside the Colorado River is very scenic.

The next day the CZ follows the Truckee River and goes over the Sierra Nevada mountains.

You could catch the CS in Sacramento, Davis, or in Emeryville.

They are finishing up a restoration of the Sacramento station and the next stop Davis is a popular place to hang while waiting for the CS.

As a bonus, the CZ often costs a bit less from Chicago to California than the Southwest Chief.

You would have a 6 hour or so layover in Emeryville, about 8 hours of layover in Davis (a college town), or 10 hours in Sacramento.

Of course you would then not see the Pacific Ocean from the CS.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/the-big-10.406943/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/gore-canyon.406980/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/gore-canyon.407783/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/looking-back.408319/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/foolin-around.408180/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/lenticular-over-continental-divide.408377/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/from-amtraks-california-zephyr.407982/

The CZ has some great scenery but the CS isn't far behind in visual beauty, at least in my opinion, and the CS also benefits from having something new and interesting to see from start to finish while the CZ can be somewhat dull and repetitive East of Denver. I've used the SC to connect to the CS and found the experience to be visually appealing and easy to accomplish. The excessive layover between the Westbound CZ and the Northbound CS and Amtrak's insistence that passengers are ticketed to connect in SAC severely devalues that option for me. It's unfortunate that the multi-hour SC>CS connection still isn't quite long enough to ensure a dependable direct transfer but the prevalence of secondary recovery options should keep things running smooth enough for most trips (barring an active winter meltdown in CUS).

I'm a 70 year old disabled guy and have been through LAX three times in the past year. I have traveled in a roomette twice and availed myself of redcaps and the lounge.

On one occasion I had them drop me off in the lobby and did a little shopping.

I felt quite comfortable and safe.

The first time I did travel couch and did not use the metro lounge. I did find some questionable characters in the general sitting area but no one was bothering anyone.

I've heard they are doing a better job of chasing out the street people.

If you were to take the Zephyr instead of the Chief you would miss some of the Starlight's most spectacular scenery. There's a good stretch where if you were any closer to the ocean, you'd have to shake the sand out of your shoes.

As far as LAX (LAUS) goes, It's a large station but the layout is incredibly straightforward. I've heard it described as the last great rail station and don't disagree at all. There are enough Redcaps, though you might want to mention to your attendant that you want one before you get into LA. Mrs SP&S has bad knees and we've always used and appreciated them. Safety? As good or better than any place where there is a lot of people.

Enjoy your trip.

Just wondering, but other than the station code, does anyone really refer to it as "LAX"? I'm pretty sure even a few blocks away from the station, anyone asking a taxi driver for a "ride to LAX" will be taken to the airport.

Why was LAX chosen and where did the code first appear, train station or airport? I think LAC would have been the best choice, which is the way in which SJC is coded (initials of city name followed by state initial). Even in cities where the airport has a logical code, the train station code is sometimes different. One example is Pittsburgh where the train station is PGH and the airport is PIT.

LAX has been the IATA code for Los Angeles International since way before there was any Amtrak or Amtrak station codes.

Similarly, SJC was simply borrowed by Amtrak from the IATA code for San Jose International.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back