Layover in Fort Worth -- anywhere to eat and store luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJL

Service Attendant
Hi, I'm planning on traveling Norman OK to San Antonio. Assuming all is on time, we should have an hour's layover before boarding the TE in Fort Worth.

Is there anywhere to eat lunch within walking distance of the Ft Worth station?

Also, how do we handle luggage. Norman is an unstaffed station, so I assume we just carry our luggage on the train (if it is like the Mo River Runner). Then when we get to Ft Worth can we check some of the larger baggage on arrival, before we can head off for lunch?

TIA.

:hi: There is a Subway in the Intermodel Station, can't help with any suggestions downtown, but dinner will be served on the train past Austin now that the Diner crew goes alkl the way to San Antonio. It can be pricey but there is also a Snack car that has burgers/pizza/drinks/beer/sodas etc. for a lunch or light dinner. You will be able to check your luggage thru to San Antonio in Ft. Worth long as it's in at least 30 minutes before the scheduled arrival of #21, the Texas Eagle! Jim

As long as the HF is on time connection shouldn't be a problem. There is a Subway Sandwich shop inside the station.FTW is nice little station with plenty of room, and it should be easy to get off and get your bags checked and get a bite to eat without a problem.

Check at the ticket counter about storage. Last I knew, there was nothing.

As for food: the Subway? Please.

Most of downtown Fort Worth is within a 8 minutes walking, and there are plenty of places to eat. In the station is a desk for the local city bus service (The T) and they can get you info on riding the bus free in the downtown area - and lucky you, all the buses stop there at the station. (hint, they call it the Intermodal Station :) )

Here is a Downtown Area Map of Fort Worth.

Lots to see and do.

Subway? Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes there is a guy on the plaza in front of where the buses load selling hot dogs, brats and such. While I've never eaten there, he always seems to be doing a good business. Lately the southbound Eagle has been arriving early; the other day it was backing in the same time the Flyer was arriving; so your wander about time will be minimal.

Check at the ticket counter about storage. Last I knew, there was nothing.

As for food: the Subway? Please.

Most of downtown Fort Worth is within a 8 minutes walking, and there are plenty of places to eat. In the station is a desk for the local city bus service (The T) and they can get you info on riding the bus free in the downtown area - and lucky you, all the buses stop there at the station. (hint, they call it the Intermodal Station :) )

Here is a Downtown Area Map of Fort Worth.

Lots to see and do.

Subway? Please.
Well let's look at this realisticly.HF #821 sch.arrival 12:39, TE #21 sch. dep 2:10. I would not get off the HF and try check my bags jump on a bus and go find a place to eat and expect to make it back to the station in time to make a connx. to #21. Although Subway may not be the best choice, in this case it is the best choice out of a couple of choices that are available <_< . Now if the OP had more time I would have recomended getting a schedule inside the station for FTWs Molly The Trolley that has a dedicated restaruant run(free) where you have many choices of what FTW has to offer, and you get to do a little sight seeing at the same time :cool:

But you were right about one thing. Fort Worth does have alot to see and do with all the museums and the Stockyards(both which have the trolley service)and many fine dining establishments ;) as well.

Well let's look at this realisticly. HF #821 sch.arrival 12:39, TE #21 sch. dep 2:10. I would not get off the HF and try check my bags jump on a bus and go find a place to eat and expect to make it back to the station in time to make a connx. to #21.
Actually, with the predicable early arrival of #21, one could board and drop bags immediately, and still have over an hour to seek something other than Subway.

Better yet, get a room FTW-SAS. I have seen these for as low as $45.00 - and Bedrooms for as low as $98.00. Best deal: includes Dinner ...

Well let's look at this realisticly. HF #821 sch.arrival 12:39, TE #21 sch. dep 2:10. I would not get off the HF and try check my bags jump on a bus and go find a place to eat and expect to make it back to the station in time to make a connx. to #21.
Actually, with the predicable early arrival of #21, one could board and drop bags immediately, and still have over an hour to seek something other than Subway.

Better yet, get a room FTW-SAS. I have seen these for as low as $45.00 - and Bedrooms for as low as $98.00. Best deal: includes Dinner ...
PLEASE! Really? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back