layover in Milwaukee and Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
ok help! you guys rock at this stuff.

We have layovers. The first is 2.5 hours in the milukee intermodal station which is fine, but on the way back it 3 hrs. Is there anything near by to do?

Also:

Chicago 5 hr layover on the way to dc. Were doing rainforest cafe for lunch but what else can we do?

Chicago on the way home: 8hr layover and we plan on doing hard rock. What else?

So the players in this game:

Adult 1 (50) Afraid of heights Loves history

adult 2 (50) Likes history and pretty much whatever

Adult 3 (30) Been to chicago 4 times, done it alll

Teen 1 (16) Into music, Nightmare before christmas and law

Teen 2 (14) into music, bands, and being lazy

Any ideas? Im kinda at a loss! 8 hrs is a long time!

In Milwaukee I suggest the Milwaukee Public Market which is in easy walking distance. Check out the website to see what's there--great local food and drink and a lot else.

Downtown Milwaukee is quite walkable, and a good place to grab a bite to eat, see some historic buildings, stroll across the river or along the lake. There are numerous museums, some more significant and sizable - others smaller and particularly focused, the Third Ward and Public Market, war memorials, Marquette University, historic churches.....and beer! If you wanted to stretch out a bit further, you might check out the conservatory domes. Or get some custard at Leons, Kopps, or Gillies. You can catch a bus or cab at the station, if you don't want to walk to far or if you want to get further faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure that others will have many practical suggestions. I think that if a group is too disperate in make up, someone will feel short changed. Would splitting into two groups make things easier in Chicago? I am interested to know which of the "Players" you describe is yourself ? ;)

Ed. :cool:

Note, in Milwaukee the "domes" are currently closed for repairs. There was no mention of dates for your travel, but if you are interested in the domes check out there status before heading there.

Depending on your budget, there is a new indoor go cart track in the Milwaukee area called veloce indoor speedway. A little pricey and would need an uber or cab to get to. Think adult go carts , very safe, but not little put- puts. Spent a saturday morning there with my daughter a while back and it was great. And give the kids a chance to burn off some energy.

In Chicago, the 30 year old very familiar could probably come up with 2 or 3 things the teens would like. The History Buffs, with 8 hours, perhaps the Chicago History Museum. For everyone: Perhaps Navy Pier. It's kind of the touristy thing to do, but it's fun to be on the lake. If it's warm enough maybe a boat ride on the river or Lake. There's a bit of history and some great views of Chicago. In Milwaukee there was the Grand Avenue Mall. I've heard it's kind of dead these days, but that might be worth checking out. As are the museums. Most of all have fun!

Grand ave mall is extremely dead these days. Property , i believe, was just sold to new developers. Some hope for the future. but for now , little going on there.

What time of day would the Milwaukee layovers be? That could certainly change the suggestions.

I am sure that others will have many practical suggestions. I think that if a group is too disperate in make up, someone will feel short changed. Would splitting into two groups make things easier in Chicago? I am interested to know which of the "Players" you describe is yourself ? ;)

Ed. :cool:
im the 30 whos been there done that! Ive only been to the intermodal at night so i didn't get a chance to walk around. As far as chicago, I was with a firefighter which means we toured lots of firehouses.

I've lived in Chicago my entire life, and certainly have not "done it all." There's always something new and unexplored to discover.

When are you coming? If at the right time, usually late April/Early May, you might take a round train trip to Lombard, and experience Lilacia Park in full bloom.

http://www.lombardlilactime.com

If you like history (and trains) you might want to head down to Pullman, tour the visitor's center (and the Randolph Museum, if it's open), then stroll through this historic neighborhood.

http://www.aphiliprandolphmuseum.com

http://www.aphiliprandolphmuseum.com/general_info.html

http://www.pullmanil.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back