Legacy Club at CUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Floor borne illness" - something new for me to be phobic about! The more I think about it, $20 a pop for the Legacy Club isn't looking so bad!
Wait till we tell you what's hiding on the $20 bill you're handing over. :ph34r:

In all honesty though foodborne illnesses are a real threat and are far more common than picking up something from a dirty chair or floor. The reason is that fresh food is a far more appealing location for harmful contagions to grow and fester than a relatively inhospitable chair or floor. In addition when you consume fresh food you're giving it far greater access to your body than a chair or floor would typically enjoy. Unless you went around licking said chair or floor. Unfortunately unless you're the person preparing the food chances are you will have little if any direct control or observation over how safe or dangerous it is to consume it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the floor should be tile or linoleum, not carpet. I do think it's rather odd that they would choose something that's hard to keep clean.

I haven't contracted any kind of floor-borne illness. ;)
That you know of...
e10503.gif

:p
As a Resident of CHI, and Amtrak Rider, I'm sure you're familiar with the condition of Union Station, especially the Cattle pen waiting Rooms!

Linoleum tends to look "cheap" where tile looks fancy.

Tile is good stuff. Looks nice, *extremely* durable, extremely easy to clean.

The modern standard for floors in places like railway stations, however, is terrazzo. Weird stuff, very durable, looks fancy, even easier to clean than tile.

As a Resident of CHI, and Amtrak Rider, I'm sure you're familiar with the condition of Union Station, especially the Cattle pen waiting Rooms!
Fortunately, Jim, my experiences at CUS have been either brief or pleasant:

1) When I go there to spend time in the city, I take the BNSF - station is about 200 yards from my home. A nice quick walk, and I'm downtown in less than 40 minutes. Then, when I get there, it's a quick ride up the escalator to Canal St, where I catch a cab and I'm out.

2) When riding Amtrak, it's the Metra to the Met Lounge, where I can enjoy the fine complementary snacks and beverages as well as the helpful and friendly staff.

No cattle pens for me, though I do walk past them - nose appropriately in the air. :p

I believe civilization has made it through some 3,00 generations without hand sanitizer.
Amtrak put a hand sanitizer dispenser at the exit from the men's room at 30th Street Station, Philadelphia. The last time I used it it had been filled with liquid hand soap. I had to go back into the men's room to wash that gunk off. Served me right, I suppose.

We were at CUS on Aug 3rd and again on Aug 11th. On both visits we passed by the Legacy Club and looked in. it was nearly empty. I'd be surprised if this club lasts a year.

When we travel through Chicage we usually have a 3-4 hour layover but does everyone like to sit it a room all that time? We check our carry-on bags at the Met Lounge, go out to the Great Hall past the Legacy Club to Jackson street and walk 5 blocks west to So. Halstead Street which is Greektown. Its about a 15 minute walk. There you have many restaurants like the Greek Island, Athena (and many more), a CVS pharmacy, Starbucks, Bakery, Marianos Gourmet Supermarket (where you can have a great lunch as well) and Whole Foods. On the walk you pass Lou Mitchell's, a landmark diner type restaurant that has been there since 1923. Point is this that this Legacy Club only caters to people that want to sit on their derriere waiting for their train. They need volume to stay in business. My predcition is that they won't last long.

Corrected: Restaurant is indeed Lou Mitchells and one one block from Union Station. The place is also a bakery but when we got there they were sold out. The manager was so nice to us that he even threw some Mild Duds in our bags. We have to eat there next time in Chicago.

We were at CUS on Aug 3rd and again on Aug 11th. On both visits we passed by the Legacy Club and looked in. it was nearly empty. I'd be surprised if this club lasts a year.

When we travel through Chicage we usually have a 3-4 hour layover but does everyone like to sit it a room all that time? We check our carry-on bags at the Met Lounge, go out to the Great Hall past the Legacy Club to Jackson street and walk 5 blocks west to So. Halstead Street which is Greektown. Its about a 15 minute walk. There you have many restaurants like the Greek Island, Athena (and many more), a CVS pharmacy, Starbucks, Bakery, Marianos Gourmet Supermarket (where you can have a great lunch as well) and Whole Foods. On the walk you pass Paul Mitchell's, a landmark diner type restaurant that has been there since 1923. Point is this that this Legacy Club only caters to people that want to sit on their derriere waiting for their train. They need volume to stay in business. My predcition is that they won't last long.
Lou Mitchell, not Paul Mitchell.

I suspect the location of the lounge is obscure to many. The few times I've been in the Great Hall, there has not been a lot of people. Are the signs in the main areas of the station advertising the lounge?

Edit:

Paul Mitchell

pm_clarifying_shampootwo_product.jpg

Lou Mitchell's

image1.jpg

I believe civilization has made it through some 3,00 generations without hand sanitizer.
I only use it when I don't have access to soap and water.

Using it too often not only prevents your immune system from getting a necessary workout and staying strong, it also dries out your skin.

Using it too often not only prevents your immune system from getting a necessary workout and staying strong, it also dries out your skin.
Hand sanitizer is mostly alcohol. Instead of putting alcohol on your hands, put it in your mouth. Do that enough, and you won't be worried about germs anymore... or anything else, for that matter.

Hand sanitizer is mostly alcohol. Instead of putting alcohol on your hands, put it in your mouth. Do that enough, and you won't be worried about germs anymore... or anything else, for that matter.
I like the way you think.

It also leaves your skin ripe anything that is not killed by sanitizer.

If you're talking about the sanitizer itself then it'd probably do some serious harm if you tried to ingest more than a small amount. Mainly because it's a different kind of alcohol with the wrong chemical properties for imbibing. You may still get a bit of a buzz but before long you'd begin experiencing a rather unpleasant amount of organ failure possibly followed by death.

Back when I was a child we had a very simple identifier for substances that should not be ingested. It was perfect for children who were too young to read but old enough to understand simple visual cues. I have no idea why they got rid of it. Maybe it wasn't testing well when it came to purchase time?

Anybody else remember the skull and crossbones image or why it was removed from potentially lethal household poisons?

black-skull-and-crossbones.png

I don't remember why it was removed--or if I ever knew in the first place--but certainly remember the skull and crossbones. It certainly made an impression on those children who were too young too read as DA said.

There was also Officer Ugg who seems to have faded into the sunset will all the other cutesy-looking icons. But the skull & crossbones still appears, such as on a bottle of lye purchased a few years ago to clean drains. I can think of no other symbol that conveys danger as well as the skull & crossbones, hence its use on pirate ships and some minefield markers.

Maybe the skull & crossbones went out of favor with the do-gooders after it was found to cause anxiety in California lab rats. [i just made that up!]

If you're talking about the sanitizer itself then it'd probably do some serious harm if you tried to ingest more than a small amount.
No, I was talking about the drinking type of alcohol. When they say "pick your poison," they usually don't mean it literally.

Maybe the skull & crossbones went out of favor with the do-gooders after it was found to cause anxiety in California lab rats. [i just made that up!]
ROTFLMAO!!!
Ditto! Aloha
This just made my day! I've seen lots of funny things on my computer today, but this was the best.
And it got me thinking, I'm sure the skull and crossbones symbol was on those 2 bottles of ant poison I drank when I was a kid. Maybe "Mr. Yuk" would have prevented my 2 year old self from doing that.

It's very odd that Mr. Yuk isn't being used any more. It was specifically added to poisons after psychological testing of children -- it was found that young children were not deterred by a skull and crossbones (they didn't associate them with anything bad), so they did research to find something which very young children DID associate with "bad", and the result was Mr. Yuk.

I would assume Mr. Yuk isn't being used because the United States government sucks, has sucked since 2000, and just doesn't bother to try to protect babies from poisons any more. But I may be too cynical.

It's very odd that Mr. Yuk isn't being used any more. It was specifically added to poisons after psychological testing of children -- it was found that young children were not deterred by a skull and crossbones (they didn't associate them with anything bad), so they did research to find something which very young children DID associate with "bad", and the result was Mr. Yuk. I would assume Mr. Yuk isn't being used because the United States government sucks, has sucked since 2000, and just doesn't bother to try to protect babies from poisons any more. But I may be too cynical.
Apparently "Mr. Yuk" enjoys commercial copyright protections and as a result there may be a legal and bureaucratic disincentive toward using it. Personally I think that anyone who makes or sells something which is harmful when ingested should be able to add Mr. Yuk to their labeling without any need for payment or permission. Unfortunately that would probably require the owner to voluntarily place the logo into the public domain.

To my best recollection, Officer Ugg and Mr. Yuk were in the form of stickers distributed to parents by local poison control centers and I don't think the US Government had anything directly to do with those centers. Parents would then affix the stickers to whatever they chose - I put mine on my coffee cup.

But I think Neroden may be correct when saying those stickers are more of a deterrent to a toddler than the skull & crossbones - especially if the parent places the stickers in the presence of the toddler along with a verbal warning. But then, some toddlers may not be able to comprehend the warning and then subsequently investigate with tragic results. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back