Lincoln Service into STL -- Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

First time user.

I am taking 303 (Lincoln Service) from Chicago to STL. My question: Which side of the Arch -- north or south -- do the tracks cross the Mississippi into STL?

The reason I ask: I want to know which side of the train to sit on. It it crosses north of the Arch, I will sit on the left side. If it crosses on the south, then the right.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the response is not that easy. Being that this is my most frequently traveled route, i can tell you that the Lincoln Service trains use two routes to cross the Mississippi. The first is north of the Arch, called Merchants Bridge, this will take you underground the park at the arch, then turn in or back into the station (there is a wye on this route). There are no good photo opportunities of the arch along this route. The second route will have you cross the river south of the arch and has very good views, its called the MacArthur Bridge. The train and engine crews are qualified on both routes along the TRRA (St. Louis area's terminal railroad). The TRRA will dispatch the fastest route in our out of the station depending on other train traffic at the moment, no way to tell which way you'll go for sure.

Have fun!

Unfortunately the response is not that easy. Being that this is my most frequently traveled route, i can tell you that the Lincoln Service trains use two routes to cross the Mississippi. The first is north of the Arch, called Merchants Bridge, this will take you underground the park at the arch, then turn in or back into the station (there is a wye on this route). There are no good photo opportunities of the arch along this route. The second route will have you cross the river south of the arch and has very good views, its called the MacArthur Bridge. The train and engine crews are qualified on both routes along the TRRA (St. Louis area's terminal railroad). The TRRA will dispatch the fastest route in our out of the station depending on other train traffic at the moment, no way to tell which way you'll go for sure.
Have fun!
Hi Chicago Amtrak Fan,

So sounds like the best option is to stick on the right side, since even if we enter north, there still wouldn't be any views on the left. Might as well take my chances on the right side.

Thanks!

Have fun!
Hi Chicago Amtrak Fan,

So sounds like the best option is to stick on the right side, since even if we enter north, there still wouldn't be any views on the left. Might as well take my chances on the right side.

Thanks!
Best seating to have a chance at seeing the arch is definitely on the right side of the train.

Cheers,

David

In my experience, they tend to use the MacArthur Bridge (just south of the Arch) more often than the Merchants Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back