Lincoln Service "Sold Out" Again.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I was trying to buy tickets between STL and Springfield, IL for October 17, but Amtrak says they are all sold out, except for the Texas Eagle. In looking at the service alerts, the website says there will be bustitions through October 10th, but nothing mentions anything after that. So why does Amtrak still have these trains as sold out?

We're not Amtrak but a group of people who enjoy riding the rails. You can contact Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was trying to buy tickets between STL and Springfield, IL for October 17, but Amtrak says they are all sold out, except for the Texas Eagle. In looking at the service alerts, the website says there will be bustitions through October 10th, but nothing mentions anything after that. So why does Amtrak still have these trains as sold out?
Chris:I looked into buying a Paid Coach ticket from BNL-SPI (I am on an AGR Award returning from EMY-AUS and have to catch an AmVan from GBB-SPI to connect with #21) since another AUer that lives in BNL offered me a ride to BNL if #6 is on time soon I can board #21 earlier @_4pm rather than the 5:15pm time in SPI! When available the Senior fare is only $5 and it would save a ride through the Corn Fields and a 2+ hour Layover in GBB!
#21/#421#321 are all shown as SOLD OUT between BNL and STL so I'm guessing the track work is Still ongoing and Amtrak wants to save Coach Seats for LD riders and force the CHI-STL Lincoln "shorts"onto the buses!

Calling is no use - those on other end will acknowledge problem - then tell you to check website daily - great help ( sarcasm ) - also a great way for Amtrak to lose a good amount of ridership gains achieved past few years on Lincoln Service route.

You can try booking to Lincoln - website should let you - then you would have to make a separate reservation from there to Springfield, Carbondale. Alton or St Louis.

This disaster is making it a huge headache for me to book an upcoming trip to Milwaukee, WI this month.

All train passengers on Lincoln Service recently ( Eagle is exception ) have taken train into Springfield then boarded bus there to go further in recent weeks. That may be changing slightly in coming week(s) - thus the screwed up useless website drama.

**** poor planning and lack of doing things differently - even though Illinois, Amtrak and others knew work would cause aggravation. There were ways around bustitution - there always are - but that would require a new way of thinking and serious deal making - which might not be possible.

Just got off phone using SELECT number - phone reps useless not of any help - called 2nd time to get new rep - completely rude not helpful.

It's like Amtrak just doesn't doesn't understand customer service and wants to lose passengers.

In service alert currently no buses listed or mentioned from Springfield to Lincoln next few weeks - thus sold out error on website.

If going North out of Springfield Illinois best bet is to drive to Lincoln catch train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back