Lincoln service speed limit increased

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhh boyyyyy, only $1.9 billion and how many years spent on this? I guess we still should celebrate the increase...until they are negated plus some by stupid dispatchers.

Here's my favorite part of the article:
I-ETMS is only currently certified as a vital system at speeds up to 90 mph. To get to 110 mph, the FRA requires more reliability testing and perhaps additional technological tweaks, which will require cooperation with the Union Pacific and additional expenditures by Amtrak or Illinois.
The fastest Chicago-St. Louis schedule resuming in a few weeks is train no. 301, a 7 a.m. Chicago departure with limited stops that reaches St. Louis at 12:20 p.m. This 5-hour, 20-minute trip only matches what GM&O’s Abraham Lincoln achieved in 1965.

Travelers on the route still must contend with potential freight train interference delays in the Chicago-Joliet and Alton-St. Louis terminal areas and situations such as one inflicted on St. Louis-Chicago train No. 300 on July 1.

Trains News Wire learned from a Union Pacific source that the Norfolk Southern dispatcher, who controls a shared UP-NS double-track segment between the Hazel Dell and Iles control points south of Springfield, Ill., ignored passenger train priority. The dispatcher failed to hold two NS east-west trains instead of allowing train No. 300 and UP intermodal ZG4MQ to first pass each other where the UP dispatcher had set up a rolling meet. As a result, the passenger train was 1 hour, 19 minutes late into Joliet after waiting for the NS and UP trains to clear.

Such delays negate any gains made possible by the latest speed increases.

Ohhh boyyyyy, only $1.9 billion and how many years spent on this? I guess we still should celebrate the increase...until they are negated plus some by stupid dispatchers.

Here's my favorite part of the article:
Wow...I'm underwhelmed. :rolleyes: Google drive time between Chcago and St. Louis is 4 hours and 14 minutes. Love the comparison to the GM&O 1965 schedule...😄

Here's some more comparisons:

http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track4/abelincoln195008.html
http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track4/bluebird195008.html
http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track4/grndiamond193809.html

Bottom line: Union Pacific got the best out of this deal. Massively upgraded freight line paid with government money that exceeds their needs but provides a much safer, better operating environment.

Indeed. The states that paid for that upgrade should be furious with Union Pacific and should make things very difficult for them wherever possible.

What UP pulled should be criminal.

Indeed. The states that paid for that upgrade should be furious with Union Pacific and should make things very difficult for them wherever possible.

What UP pulled should be criminal.
Railroads and Criminality have a Long History going back to the Early Days!😉

Bottom line: Union Pacific got the best out of this deal. Massively upgraded freight line paid with government money that exceeds their needs but provides a much safer, better operating environment.

UP, BNSF, CSX, et al are all heavy users of opium whenever possible. (Other Peoples Money)

Nothing new here.

:rolleyes: Google drive time between Chicago and St. Louis is 4 hours and 14 minutes.

Well, that means that the real drive time (including bathroom breaks, meals, and possibly a fueling stop) is probably 5 hours or so. (That is, if one keeps to the speed limit :) ) Besides, given the traffic in the Chicago area, it probably takes an hour just to drive from the Loop to the edge of the suburbs.

I tend to find Google drive times to be a bit overly optimistic.

Guess the government still hasn't learned. Funny...same railroad involved...😏
https://www.britannica.com/event/Credit-Mobilier-Scandal
In the Credit Mobilier scandal, the Union Pacific was as much a victim of the crookedness as the government. The construction company overbilled Union Pacific, which was being financed by government bonds. It happened because the Union Pacific was, at the time, controlled by the same crook (Durand) who set up the construction company. When it all blew up, Durand walked off free as a bird with his ill-gotten billions, while UP ended up being stuck with debt to the government, which I believe they eventually paid back. There were also congressmen involved, as Durand gave (or sold them at bargain prices) stock in the construction company that the congressmen quickly turned around and sold before the whole thing blew up.

It was a different kind of scandal than this business of UP getting the government to pay for track improvements, presumably for use by passenger trains, and then obstructing the intended passenger service.

Both kinds of scandals are good reasons why rail infrastructure should be owned by the public.

Well, that means that the real drive time (including bathroom breaks, meals, and possibly a fueling stop) is probably 5 hours or so. (That is, if one keeps to the speed limit :) ) Besides, given the traffic in the Chicago area, it probably takes an hour just to drive from the Loop to the edge of the suburbs.

As they say "YMMV"...
To me, 296 miles is a "drive around the block", and I can easily do it nonstop. And I will drive at times to avoid most traffic congestion...but I agree, that most people will make a rest stop halfway.

So how much time got shaved off the timetable? That’s what really matters.
Absolutely zero minutes. Don't see any improvement in the history.

Think someone needs to update the Wikipedia article too:
"Although much of track upgrade work was completed between 2010 and 2012, there are additional constructions including second trackage, bridge replacement and rehabilitation, drainage improvements, and grade crossings and signal improvements before the full 110-mile-per-hour (180 km/h) service can be fully operated on this route. After all required improvements on the first 15-mile (24 km) segment between Dwight and Pontiac, Illinois were completed, Amtrak started the higher-speed rail service with top speeds of 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) on that segment in November 2012, with the entire section between Alton and Joliet expected to have 110-mile-per-hour (180 km/h) operation by 2017."

Perhaps overly optimistic for long trips, but for a 4 hour trip that wouldn't require a gas stop or food stop...possibly a bathroom break if you have kids - definitely doable.

Perhaps overly optimistic for long trips, but for a 4 hour trip that wouldn't require a gas stop or food stop...possibly a bathroom break if you have kids - definitely doable.
But as always... when traveling by rail you can sit back and enjoy the midwest scenery, doze off, or just daydream. When driving your eyes are on the road... you're burning lots of gas... wear and tare on the car... stay alert! For one person or even two... trains have the advantage!

In both CHI and STL there is adequate public transit to get you around once you arrive... with the car you must navigate with maps and directions... parking dilemmas, etc.

BTW have kids? Riding in the train they can play their games and look out the window. By car it's a long haul!

IMHO trains are so important for getting around / and the environment / and for bringing joy to travel!😇😇😇

"someone needs to update the Wikipedia article too: "
While they are at it, they can learn how to covert mph to km/h and visa versa. The Ratio is 1.609344, which comes from the inch being defined as 25.4 mm, exactly.
110 mph = 177 km/h, or 180 km/h = 112 mph.
While we are at it, one of the favorites, 125 mph = 201 km/h, not 200.
The 300 km/h running smoothly in Taiwan, is 186 mph.

"someone needs to update the Wikipedia article too: "
While they are at it, they can learn how to covert mph to km/h and visa versa. The Ratio is 1.609344, which comes from the inch being defined as 25.4 mm, exactly.
110 mph = 177 km/h, or 180 km/h = 112 mph.
While we are at it, one of the favorites, 125 mph = 201 km/h, not 200.
The 300 km/h running smoothly in Taiwan, is 186 mph.
I fixed the conversion for you. It was due to an idiosyncrasy in the Wikipedia conversion function; if the input value is a multiple of 10, it assumes the output should be rounded to the nearest "10".

Back