Line Numbers/Consist Listings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not true. Baggage handler either didn't now what he was talking about, or didn't understand your question.

It looks like it was an equipment swap on one trip last week, then didn't make it back to CHI because of the storms that caused the consist to be turned in IND to head back to NYP.

Thanks, Trogdor. Something didn't make sense. It was very odd to see the consist with the Horizon BC and I thought it would have been mentioned on AU by now if it had been there any legnth of time.

Wait a minute! Which train is the EC? It's not a LD, so no sleepers.

"Empire Constructor" -- synonym for "Empire Builder."

Seriously, I believe Acela150 meant "EC" as an abbreviation for "East Coast."
Well, itf it was East Coast, Acele150 could have said Silver Service. Then again, I dont think this is worth argueing about.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it does change consists with the Silvers and put the sleepers on the tail during the winter time, so it was included in the trains that Acela150 was talking about.

Nobody is arguing about anything, you just seem to be confused by what Acela150 meant.

When were sleepers put on the head end on EC trains?? This week?
Yes.
Hi "Donctor"!

Sorry to be a bit off topic.

I will be traveling on #49 next Thursday ,May 10/12 from Buffalo, NY to Chicago for NTD and returning on Sunday May 13/12 on #48.

I was wondering if you or anubody else can give me a updated consist for the LSL?

Thank You!!! :D

When were sleepers put on the head end on EC trains?? This week?
Yes.
Hi "Donctor"!

Sorry to be a bit off topic.

I will be traveling on #49 next Thursday ,May 10/12 from Buffalo, NY to Chicago for NTD and returning on Sunday May 13/12 on #48.

I was wondering if you or anubody else can give me a updated consist for the LSL?

Thank You!!! :D
The first post in this topic is regularly updated by Donctor and shows the latest info for each train's consist.

The Lake Shore's consist rarely changes. The only variables are the occasional extra coach for peak periods, and sometimes the Boston sleeper getting blanked and replaced by a third sleeper out of New York.

The Lake Shore's consist rarely changes. The only variables are the occasional extra coach for peak periods, and sometimes the Boston sleeper getting blanked and replaced by a third sleeper out of New York.
What happens to the BOS sleeper pax?
When that happens, they usually ride coach to Albany. Sunnyside yard adds a third sleeper to the NY section, so once it get there, the Boston sleeper passengers transfer into that empty third sleeper. Then Chicago fixed the order of the consist when the LSL gets there.

The sleeper pax still get their free meal in the cafe and probably receive some compensation for the loss of the sleeper for the first few hours.

When that happens, they usually ride coach to Albany. Sunnyside yard adds a third sleeper to the NY section, so once it get there, the Boston sleeper passengers transfer into that empty third sleeper. Then Chicago fixed the order of the consist when the LSL gets there.

The sleeper pax still get their free meal in the cafe and probably receive some compensation for the loss of the sleeper for the first few hours.
Not necessarily. In March 2011, I traveled CHI-BOS and was initially ticketed on 448 in a roomette. The day before I left CHI (actually MKE, but anyway) I was called and told because of a mechanical issue I would be in a roomette on 48 CHI-ALB and coach on 448 ALB-BOS. The SCA (or TA-S) did not seem aware or concerned that I and a few others had been bumped/moved into a sleeper on 48 and had to move to coach at ALB. I had been hoping the crew would let me (and the others) move from sleeper to coach without getting off the train, but we were required to get off and the re-board from the station with 448 passengers originating in ALB. Not too big of a deal, all in all, and I did get some sort of a refund of the ALB-BOS portion of my fare.

Not necessarily. In March 2011, I traveled CHI-BOS and was initially ticketed on 448 in a roomette. The day before I left CHI (actually MKE, but anyway) I was called and told because of a mechanical issue I would be in a roomette on 48 CHI-ALB and coach on 448 ALB-BOS. The SCA (or TA-S) did not seem aware or concerned that I and a few others had been bumped/moved into a sleeper on 48 and had to move to coach at ALB. I had been hoping the crew would let me (and the others) move from sleeper to coach without getting off the train, but we were required to get off and the re-board from the station with 448 passengers originating in ALB. Not too big of a deal, all in all, and I did get some sort of a refund of the ALB-BOS portion of my fare.
When the mechanical issue is more last-minute (which it usually is), pax aren't called in advance.

Great info. Thanks for keeping it up to date. Would it make sense to add the number of road units used typically on each train? I gather at theast 3 LDs run with one unit. .

On which have sleepers at the rear, let's not forget 27/28 . That's the longest walk to the diner from sleeper of any Amtrak train I've ridden.

Great info. Thanks for keeping it up to date. Would it make sense to add the number of road units used typically on each train? I gather at theast 3 LDs run with one unit. .
I've considered adding power, but have decided against it. This thread (in its current incarnation) is intended to be more a resource for riders than a resource for rail fans. The average rider doesn't care if their train has 1 P42 or 9 AEMs.

(It is for this reason that I am contemplating removing the notes on equipment requirements.)

Back