Line Numbers/Consist Listings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they have moved sleeper 5800/5900 on The CONO to be the last car on the train? If so, sweet! :cool: I'm riding The CONO for the first time in July, and the most consistent complaint I've read in trip reports is that the horn gets to be a lot - even for those of us who like the sound in the middle of the night.

Also THANKS Donctor for keeping the consists lists up to date!

Just to add a little to the Texas Eagle: on days when there is an extra sleeper (charter group, etc.) it's line number will be 2121/2221.

So they have moved sleeper 5800/5900 on The CONO to be the last car on the train? If so, sweet! :cool: I'm riding The CONO for the first time in July, and the most consistent complaint I've read in trip reports is that the horn gets to be a lot - even for those of us who like the sound in the middle of the night.

No, the Revenue Sleeper will still be on the Front of the Train behind the TransDorm and In Front of the CCC!!(aka Diner!)Besides the Portland Section of the EB and the Sunset/Texas Eagle Cut out Sleeper from LAX-SAS there are No Superliner Trains with Sleepers on the Back. Previously on the CZ there was a Revenue Sleeper from CHI-Denver in the Summer but not sure if there still will be since the "Temporary" Station has Opened???

Last edited by a moderator:

No, the Revenue Sleeper will still be on the Front of the Train behind the TransDorm and In Front of the CCC!!(aka Diner!)Besides the Portland Section of the EB and the Sunset/Texas Eagle Cut out Sleeper from LAX-SAS there are No Superliner Trains with Sleepers on the Back. Previously on the CZ there was a Revenue Sleeper from CHI-Denver in the Summer but not sure if there still will be since the "Temporary" Station has Opened???
Thanks. Would have been nice, but I'm not complaining...

jumhudson is incorrect. The sleeper was moved to the back this week. They do not switch the train around in Chicago, so the City of New Orleans also gets the sleeper at the rear.

jumhudson is incorrect. The sleeper was moved to the back this week. They do not switch the train around in Chicago, so the City of New Orleans also gets the sleeper at the rear.
:hi: Thanks for the Update! I didn't know about the Switch this past week, I'm one of those that prefer the Sleepers on the Front of the Train but except for the LSL and the EB doesn't really matter since the walk to the Diner/Lounge isn't that Long! (do think the Tail Wagging does help create a Rougher Ride! I'm also one who likes to hear the Whistle at Night! :wub: )

Does anybody know why the California Zephyr and the Crescent have moved the sleepers to the rear and the coaches to the front? Picking up the CZ in Davis this past April, we found we were on the wrong end of the platform to catch the CZ home to Denver. From the newest listing, I see that the Crescent has done the same. So, what's the idea here? Thanks for your responses.

the city of new orleans # 59 had 2 sleepers yesterday coming from chi , the last car was a sleeper 5900 the one before it was a dinner car then the lounge then 2 coach cars then another sleeper .

my sleeper at the end had all the crew in it . This car did not have coffee or juice like the sleeper did that was in front of the two coach cars . we had a friend on that sleeper and the attendant on that one put the beds down while they were at dinner and provided coffee and juice.

the number 59 attendant we saw once when he collected tickets . We put down our own beds at midnight "im 8 months preg" they did not have coffee or juice at our station and the crew was really loud after the dinner car closed it sounded like they were having a party in the downstairs area of our sleeper. which is where the head dinner attendant said the crew rooms were.

the city of new orleans # 59 had 2 sleepers yesterday coming from chi , the last car was a sleeper 5900 the one before it was a dinner car then the lounge then 2 coach cars then another sleeper .

my sleeper at the end had all the crew in it . This car did not have coffee or juice like the sleeper did that was in front of the two coach cars . we had a friend on that sleeper and the attendant on that one put the beds down while they were at dinner and provided coffee and juice.

the number 59 attendant we saw once when he collected tickets . We put down our own beds at midnight "im 8 months preg" they did not have coffee or juice at our station and the crew was really loud after the dinner car closed it sounded like they were having a party in the downstairs area of our sleeper. which is where the head dinner attendant said the crew rooms were.
You were in the "transdorm". This is also called the crew car. From what it sounds like. You are still entitled to the coffee in the other sleeper but if your questioned just tell the person your in the crew car.

But as far as putting your bed down and your situation. I would call Customer Relations and file a complaint. As much as we say it on here that if your in the Transdorm you'll be forgotten this shouldn't have happened to you! Amtrak did a terrible job here. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL talk to an agent say you want to speak to Customer Relations. Have you reservation number handy and explain the situation, and for future reference ask on here if your sleeper car is the Transdorm if it is ask to be relocated ASAP!

We are avid Amtrak users and generally take a few trips each year. Our favorite is the auto train and we will be leaving on it again in less than 2 weeks. The question I have relates to the deluxe sleeper compartments...is there a way to determine which directio the couch will be facing? We are in E going Southbound and J going Northbound.

The following website does show the internals of the sleeper compartments but not for the auto train.

Thank you.

Nope, it's pretty much luck of the draw.

I don't think that those cars get turned all that often, so someone with recent Auto Train experience may be able to offer an educated guess.

Is there a way that a mod can pin this board to the top of the Amtrak Rail Discussion board. I like referencing this regularly but often find it hard to locate. I feel it is more helpful than some of the other pinned boards.

Is there a way that a mod can pin this board to the top of the Amtrak Rail Discussion board. I like referencing this regularly but often find it hard to locate. I feel it is more helpful than some of the other pinned boards.
It was moved to this forum for that reason, to make it easier to find. Here it will always be on the front page.

So there is no lounge on any section of the LSL, BOS or NYP?

Why does Amtrak have so little sleepers and so many coaches on LDs? Never understood.

I like that new TE/CONO consist. The walk from the sleeper to the lounge and dinner through three coaches was an obstacle course, especially early morning or late night.

I was waiting for #97 at ALX this last Sunday (3/4/12) and #50 arrived - late of course. At the front of the consist was a Horizon BC car in revenue service. I mentioned it to the baggage handler at ALX and he said it has been there since late fall or early winter. Anybody know more about this?

Back