Line Numbers/Consist Listings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had totally forgotten about this until it was cited in another thread. Is it still current? If so, deserves to be bumped back up to the top.

Had totally forgotten about this until it was cited in another thread. Is it still current? If so, deserves to be bumped back up to the top.
Yes, it is up to date. Donctor revises the first post as changes occur. The last update was 11/25/2012. I pinned up so it will stay on top.

Hello,

I thought the East Coast train consists were reversed with the sleepers on the back for the winter? Or does Amtrak wait until it gets colder?

BOS-T-Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I thought the East Coast train consists were reversed with the sleepers on the back for the winter? Or does Amtrak wait until it gets colder?

BOS-T-Time
They usually do. I was by my hometown station of ALX yesterday and noticed the sleepers were still on the front of 98 when she came through. It has been fairly cold of late, so I'm not sure what's up, other than they haven't needed to make the switch.

Maybe now that the new Viewliner Sleeper order is set, the problem with the toilets freezing in winter has been solved. :D

The CZ is often running this winter with just two coaches instead of the 3 listed in the original post.

Has anyone noticed recently that the LSL is running with a second AM2 Lounge, just ahead of the diner?

I can't find any reference to it here in the forums, and am not sure that it is an everyday occurrence. My spotter friend in CLE has seen this several times in the last several weeks. Example: 48(19) had Lounge 28014 fore with the 28013 aft.

My first thought is that the extra Lounge was accompanying Viewliner Diner 8400 for some reason, but several trains with Heritage diners are showing up with the second AM2 Lounge car as well.

That's most likely due to the run through with the Silver's to get the LSL's cars south to thaw out during the winter months. This is why during the winter months, the Crescent & Silvers all move the sleepers to the rear, so that their consists match that required by the LSL. Amtrak doesn't want to have to do any unnecessary switching in Sunnyside during the winter months to help prevent freeze-ups.

So the cafe cars run through along with everything else.

That's most likely due to the run through with the Silver's to get the LSL's cars south to thaw out during the winter months. This is why during the winter months, the Crescent & Silvers all move the sleepers to the rear, so that their consists match that required by the LSL. Amtrak doesn't want to have to do any unnecessary switching in Sunnyside during the winter months to help prevent freeze-ups.
Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!

Which brings up the Question of Why VIA can run Old Single Level Budd Cars on the Canadian and keep them Free of the Ice and Snow you see in the Vestibules on the LSL during Winter??? :help:

Which brings up the Question of Why VIA can run Old Single Level Budd Cars on the Canadian and keep them Free of the Ice and Snow you see in the Vestibules on the LSL during Winter??? :help:
Well I was referring more to the water pipes and such Jim, not so much snow in the vesitbules. But to answer your question, VIA just prepares their crews better for snow since its a far more common issue for them. Furthermore, when the Canadian gets to the end of its run, the cars sit there for 3 days before they make another run, meaning that they have plenty of time to roll those cars into a building and further work on defrosting & cleaning them up before their next run.

The LSL's cars that arrive into Chicago in the morning roll right back out 12 hours later, give or take. And they don't get much more time to sit in Sunnyside either, before they're back on the road.

I'm not saying that Amtrak couldn't do a better job, after all it's a well known fact that getting much of anything done in Sunnyside yard is often difficult. But still without regard to whether you have good or bad workers, you can still get a lot more done when the train sits there for 3 days vs. a train that sits for 12 hours.

re the texas eagle--I thought the through Chicago-lax sleeper was on the rear of the train, but consist info on this threat appears to me to show that the through sleeper is towards the front of the train with other sleepers until san Antonio, then moved to the rear. can anyone confirm the sleeper location? I was thinking of going Chicago to lax and would like to be in a sleeper on the rear of the train.

I was on the Texas Eagle last week, the thru 422 sleeper was right behind the baggage car at the front of the train. Along with the 422 Texas Eagle coach cars in front of the Cafe/obs car then the sunset coaches, then the diner car then the Sunset sleepers at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
re the texas eagle--I thought the through Chicago-lax sleeper was on the rear of the train, but consist info on this threat appears to me to show that the through sleeper is towards the front of the train with other sleepers until san Antonio, then moved to the rear. can anyone confirm the sleeper location? I was thinking of going Chicago to lax and would like to be in a sleeper on the rear of the train.
Ask and you shall Receive! As of Mon, 5/13 the #421/#422 Cut out Sleeper and Coach will be switched to the Back of the Sunset Ltd. in SAS. I rode the Eagle 3 times this week on Double Point Runs and the Consist on #21 and #22 was: 1 Engine/Transdorm/2 Coaches/Sightseer Lounge/Diner-CCC/Cutout Coach/Cutout Sleeper! The Conductors and OBS told me that this was the "Summer" Consist!

That's funny, because when I came back from Michigan this past January that is precisely how the cars were. I remember because it was a lonnnng walk to the dining car.

Ask and you shall Receive! As of Mon, 5/13 the #421/#422 Cut out Sleeper and Coach will be switched to the Back of the Sunset Ltd. in SAS. I rode the Eagle 3 times this week on Double Point Runs and the Consist on #21 and #22 was: 1 Engine/Transdorm/2 Coaches/Sightseer Lounge/Diner-CCC/Cutout Coach/Cutout Sleeper! The Conductors and OBS told me that this was the "Summer" Consist!

I was going through the line numbers and noticed directly under the heading for the Palmetto the line "Baggage, 2 Cars" and I'm wondering what this means - or if is misplaced.

Thanks! :hi:

I was going through the line numbers and noticed directly under the heading for the Palmetto the line "Baggage, 2 Cars" and I'm wondering what this means - or if is misplaced.
It appears that the Palmetto consists are interchanged with the consists for the Pennsylvanian for a total of 4 consists. However, the Pennsy doesn't run with baggage cars, so they're removed in Sunnsyside prior to departure. So he's saying that while the consists for both trains requires 4 cars in each position in the consist listing, only 2 baggage cars are required.

It appears that the Palmetto consists are interchanged with the consists for the Pennsylvanian for a total of 4 consists. However, the Pennsy doesn't run with baggage cars, so they're removed in Sunnsyside prior to departure. So he's saying that while the consists for both trains requires 4 cars in each position in the consist listing, only 2 baggage cars are required.
Thanks Alan! That even makes sense. :)

Is there an equivalent list of Line Numbers and Consist Listings for VIA Rail? I use this thread a lot when planning trips and will take VIA Rail next summer for the first time in about 15 years.

Back