Line Numbers/Consist Listings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the current consist of the Crescent and the Cardinal? Do the consists change in winter? If so, approximately when and when do they change back to summer consist?

Also, does anyone have an idea if and when the Silvers will change to Winter consist, with sleepers on rear?

Thanks.

As of right now, the bags and sleepers are on the head end while the coaches are on the rear. Things MAY change when the Lake Shore resumes normal operation in a few weeks.

Update question regarding Silver Meteor consist. Does anyone know if and when the sleepers will be moved to the rear of the consist? As of yesterday, the sleepers were still on front, behind the baggage and the coaches were on the rear. I will be traveling on the Meteor next week, and when I chose my room, I assumed that the sleepers would be on the rear. I may need to try to change my room (or not). Thanks.

Update question regarding Silver Meteor consist. Does anyone know if and when the sleepers will be moved to the rear of the consist? As of yesterday, the sleepers were still on front, behind the baggage and the coaches were on the rear. I will be traveling on the Meteor next week, and when I chose my room, I assumed that the sleepers would be on the rear. I may need to try to change my room (or not). Thanks.
Just curious as to why?

On Superliners I generally avoid the lower level for plumbing reasons but I'm not aware of what the typical criteria are for choosing specific rooms on Viewliners.

Just curious as to why?

On Superliners I generally avoid the lower level for plumbing reasons but I'm not aware of what the typical criteria are for choosing specific rooms on Viewliners.
With the Viewliners, you can pretty much guess which side (east/west, north/south) of the train you'll be on in a roomette based on whether the sleepers are on the front or back (vestibule door is closest to diner). Though with her having ridden these trains so often, I doubt there's any scenery she's missed in the past that she wants to catch. :giggle:

Just curious as to why?

I suffer from motion sickness when riding backwards for a prolonged period of time, and prefer to sleep with my feet towards the front of the train.

Penny, we will be on 97 next Wednesday. Last year same time the sleepers were on the rear when we were on 97 on January 13. Not sure if there is any consistency to when they change them over each year.

Unless something dramatic occurs, the sleepers and bags will remain on the head end for the foreseeable future.

Zephyr 5 of the 10th was my first train this season with the sleepers-forward consist.

Loco

Loco

Baggage

40 dorm

32 sleeper

31 sleeper

Diner

Lounge

10 coach baggage

11 coach

Changed today:

91/92

Silver Star

4 sets

9143|9243 —— Amfleet II Coach

9142|9242 —— Amfleet II Coach

9141|9241 —— Amfleet II Coach

9140|9240 —— Amfleet II Coach

----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge

9110|9210 —— Viewliner Sleeper

9111|9211 —— Viewliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Viewliner Baggage

Diner has been PERMANENTLY removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changed today:

91/92

Silver Star

4 sets

9143|9243 —— Amfleet II Coach

9142|9242 —— Amfleet II Coach

9141|9241 —— Amfleet II Coach

9140|9240 —— Amfleet II Coach

----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge

----|---- —— Heritage Diner

9110|9210 —— Viewliner Sleeper

9111|9211 —— Viewliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Viewliner Baggage

Diner has been PERMANENTLY removed.
Please note that as of today (1/27/16), the Silver Star sleepers are still on the head end of the train)

Additionally, not only are the sleepers and bag on the head end (until further notice), there are only three coaches in the consist. The 43 car won't operate in the immediate future...and when it does, it likely be on the rear end.

I'm trying to get an accurate count of Amtrak inventory here when it comes to coach/sleeper cars (measures the potential capacity) as well as diner cars.

Code: 4x2-3 = 4 sets of 2-3 cars (I will say 2 numbers in the case of seasonal cars).

I used the first post of the thread with the exception of the removal of the diner of the SS. Please feel free to correct errors.

Viewliner Sleeper:
Crescent: 4x2, LSL: 3x3 (2 NYP, 1 BOS), Card: 2x1, SS: 4x2

Amfleet II Coach (LD only):
Crescent: 4x4, LSL: 3x6 (4 NYP, 2 BOS), Card: 2x3, Palm: 4x3, SS: 4x4, SM: 4x4-5

Amfleet I Dinette:
Palm: 4x1

Heritage Diner:
Crescent: 4x1, LSL: 3x1 (or Viewliner), SM: 4x1

I am guessing the Viewliner II's replace the sleepers and diner cars. Will they replace the coaches or will they keep the Amfleets? What is the timetable on the replacements? I don't feel like reading over 100 pages of a thread.

Let's assume Amtrak wants to start a new CHI-PGH-HAR-PHL-NYP train and that they will need 4 sets to be conservative. I would think a reasonable consist would be 3-4 coaches, 1-2 sleepers, 1 lounge, 1 diner, 1 baggage. Now there are other factors involved on starting a new train but from an inventory standpoint we should have the necessary cars for the additional train. Maybe you can probably also use the new Viewliner II's to replace the CL's Superliner equipment as well and use those cars on other Superliner trains.

In theory, they should be able to bring back the diner to the SS once they get the new cars but the question is will Amtrak want to? Will the Cardinal get a diner?

Superliner Dorm/Sleeper:
SL: 4x1, SWC: 5x1, CZ: 6x1, EB: 6x1 (SEA), CZ: 4x1, TE: 6x1, CL: 3x1, AT: 2x1, CONO: 3x1

Superliner Deluxe Sleeper:
AT: 2x2

Superliner Sleeper:
SL: 4x1, SWC: 5x2, CZ: 6x2-3, EB: 6x2-3 (1-2 SEA, 1 PDX), CS: 4x2-3, TE: 6x1, CL: 3x2, , AT: 2x4, CONO: 3x1

Superliner Coach:
SL: 4x1, SWC: 5x2-3, CZ: 6x2-3, EB:6x5 (2 SEA, 2 PDX, 1 MSP), CS: 4x3-4, TE: 6x3-4 (2 SAS, 1 LAX, 0-1 STL), CL: 3x2-3, AT: 2x4, CONO: 3x3

Superliner Diner:
SL: 4x1, SWC: 5x1, CZ: 6x1, EB: 6x1 (SEA), TE: 6x1, CL: 3x1, AT: 2x2-3, CONO: 3x1

Are there any replacement cars coming for the Superliners? If Amtrak extends the CONO to ORL, then will they need 4, 5, or 6 sets? If they replace the CL with Viewliners, those could be the freed up cars for the extension.

I would have thought that by now you would have known that no superliners are on order and that the Viewliner 2 sleepers are for expansion. As far as I know there are no long distance coaches on order to augment or replace the amfleet cars.

Back