LIRR Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to be in NY this weekend and want to take a ride on the LIRR which I have never done before. Would be either Friday or Saturday, both early evenings. Any suggestions on which lines to ride and how far out to go for a good sense of the territory, with a stopover for dinner near the station before the return trip into Manhattan? Appreciate any thoughts from the experienced travelers or locals out there.

I once took the lirr to Port Jefferson, took the ferry across to Bridgeport then Amtrak back to Penn station. PJ would be more amenable to dining than Bridgeport due to location. All schedules needed to check for coordination are available online.
I did the same loop a few years back and enjoyed it.

Once you've decided on a destination, as a weekday, Friday will offer significantly more train frequencies to choose from than Saturday.

Then go to: MNR WebTicket (or simply Google: Long Island schedules) and look at what schedules meet your requirements to get you out and back within the desired time frame. Also download the MTA app on your cell phone and buy your tickets online. Then, just before boarding each train, 'activate' the appropriate ticket on your cell. When the conductor comes by, show him your cell phone and he/she will know you've paid for the ticket. I don't know if they still have paper tickets any more as I last rode the LIRR before covid. But if they do, the LIRR ticket window on the lower level of Penn station should be able to provide the desired tickets. Or has that been moved now that Amtrak is over in the Moynihan building?

I, too, would recommend the Port Jefferson line. You might have to change trains in Hicksville.

A loop using the ferry to Bridgeport is also fun. Just be aware that it's a mile walk from the train station to the ferry dock and port area, where most of the eating places are. Fortunately, the walk is downhill.

By the way, while we were passing through Bridgeport last Friday on the Acela, I saw the ferry "P.T. Barnum" at the dock.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/nec-herring-run-plus-a-ferry-ride.75881/
If you have more time, you could take Amtrak to New London then the Cross-sound ferry to Orient Point, then and uber or bus to Greenport, and then the LIRR Main Line back to New York.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...of-long-island-sound-with-more-ferries.75985/
Both of these trips were taken in 2019 before the pandemic. Be sure to check schedules.

Be careful about Greenport though. Very spotty LIRR service. Carefully study the timetable. You will probably be better of doing the circuit LIRR first on that one as that reduces the chances of getting stuck at Greenport with nowhere to go should something go wrong with LIRR's extremely infrequent service.

Back