List of meals served on all LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I can help a little more.

California Zephyr eastbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch.

(Yes, last I checked they served lunch entering Chicago. On early arrival it can get truncated, but it's still a "full" lunch rather than an abbreviated one, since I guess early arrival is uncommon.)

Also worth noting: the CZ is serving breakfast westbound and dinner eastbound *during* the Denver station stop, but you will probably be unable to get either if you're getting on the train at Denver. Passengers getting on in Denver are all served *after* all passengers who were already on the train, so it's quite easy to find that all the late sittings are already taken if you're getting on at Denver.

Also worth noting: most cafe cars close half an hour to an hour before arrival at the terminating station, with the eastbound LSL's early cafe car closure being an unpleasant exception.
I know this is a very old thread. But my last trip I boarded the CZ eastbound at Fort Morgan, CO (FMG) after Denver and it was about 15 minutes late. Much to my surprise not expecting dinner service. I through my bags in my room and decided to head to the Lounge to grab a coke. Well I walked into the Dining car and the single attendant working upstairs asked me if I was Mr. Innes. I said yeah (at this point I was a bit confused). And he asked if I was going to have dinner? I said it would be great. He said please take seat. It appeared that he had pretty much finished the clean up from the earlier seatings. He asked if I needed a menu and I said no just bring me a dinner salad and a Coke. He asked if that was it. I said since it looked like they were finished for the evening I didn't want to hold him/them (chefs/cooks) up and the salad would be fine. I ate quick to let him close everything and head to bed. Still not sure how or where he got my name but was pleasantly surprised.

I know this is a very old thread. But my last trip I boarded the CZ eastbound at Fort Morgan, CO (FMG) after Denver and it was about 15 minutes late. Much to my surprise not expecting dinner service. I through my bags in my room and decided to head to the Lounge to grab a coke. Well I walked into the Dining car and the single attendant working upstairs asked me if I was Mr. Innes. I said yeah (at this point I was a bit confused). And he asked if I was going to have dinner? I said it would be great. He said please take seat. It appeared that he had pretty much finished the clean up from the earlier seatings. He asked if I needed a menu and I said no just bring me a dinner salad and a Coke. He asked if that was it. I said since it looked like they were finished for the evening I didn't want to hold him/them (chefs/cooks) up and the salad would be fine. I ate quick to let him close everything and head to bed. Still not sure how or where he got my name but was pleasantly surprised.
Your SCA probably made a reservation for you before you boarded.
I boarded a late TE in St Louis a few years ago and was sent straight to the diner. I’m pretty sure I was the only one there & had my steak dinner.

Back