List of meals served on all LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
easier in what way?

here is V3 (these area all at 85% in these drafts)

I am considering the point of reference is not ALL meals at once, but the train I might be on,,, hence the trains are in # order,,

and now it is bed time for the old man, and thanks for your input

AmtrakLDMealSchedule3_zps416c8cb6.jpg

I liked having the train names and text off to the left and then the color table on its own in the middle.

For the sake of consolidation:

I note that we've gotten two conflicting reports on whether the Crescent serves lunch heading into NY.

Also, I was mistaken earlier: we're missing the Silver Meteor *southbound*. We seem to have everything else more or less.

Thanks to everyone for collecting this info.

Auto Train

- 52 Northbound: Dinner, Breakfast

- 53 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast

California Zephyr

- 5 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

- 6 Eastbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Capitol Limited

- 29 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast

- 30 Eastbound: Dinner, Brunch

Cardinal

- 51 Westbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast

- 50 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

City of New Orleans

- 59 Southbound: Dinner (abbrev.), Breakfast, Lunch

- 58 Northbound: Dinner, Breakfast

Coast Starlight

- 11 Southbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

- 14 Northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Crescent

- 19 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (abbrev.)

- 20 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch (? reports vary)

Empire Builder

- 7 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast

- 27 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast (limited menu in cafe car)

- 8 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

- 28 Eastbound: Dinner (limited menu in cafe car), Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Lake Shore Limited

- 449 Westbound: Lunch (limited menu in cafe car), Dinner, Breakfast

- 49 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast

- 448 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (limited menu in cafe car)

- 48 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch (note: cafe car also closes at Albany)

Silver Meteor

- 98 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast

- 97 Southbound: ??

Silver Star

- 92 Northbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (abbrev.) after Washington

- 91 Southbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Southwest Chief

- 3 Westbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast (abbrev.)

- 4 Eastbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch

Sunset Limited

- 1 Westbound: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

- 2 Eastbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Texas Eagle (Sunset Limited through cars will get additional meals)

- 21 Southbound: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

- 22 Northbound: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Just to be a little nitpicky, on the 48 EB the cafe car doesn't actually close at Albany, it goes to Boston on the 448.

Thanks here is version two,, i still would like readability comments.
You have (A) for abbreviated meals -- you should also have © for "limited meal selection in cafe car", since it happens four times (and never at the same time as abbreviated meals).

---

Regarding the eastbound service on #48, there's generally a lounge car -- which is the same equipment as the cafe car -- but it doesn't serve any food south of Albany either, and the diner closes too.

If the train's running on time, you could grab dinner in Albany. But if it's running late, you *need to have brought your own food*, especially if you have any sort of tendency towards hypoglycemia. It's actually the worst food service situation on Amtrak, which is why I feel that it's important to mention the situation explicitly; you are quite likely to actually need to carry your own dinner with you if traveling to NY on the #48.

Seriously, I should find some way to bring this situation up with someone appropriate in charge at Amtrak. The #48 food situation is an example of a "you really should fix that, you're leaving your customers feeling negative about you" situation -- as is any situation where customers walk off your train unexpectedly hungry, because hungry people are not happy customers.

I liked having the train names and text off to the left and then the color table on its own in the middle.
Agreed.

Now, has anyone ridden the Meteor S/B or the tail end of the Crescent N/B recently? Last two missing data points...

Ugh, my "( C )" came out as ©. You know what I meant. C for cafe car.

Ah. For Silver Star Northbound, it should include a D(A) box. We probably don't need to mention that the abbreviated dinner starts after Washington, though someone did mention it so I figured it was information.

Thanks again for the charts.

I intended the cafe car reference to look a lot like the "abbreviated" reference -- so a cafe car dinner would be D(C ) while a cafe car breakfast would be B(C ).

Some of the information got a little garbled on the last two versions.

- #92 should be L D B L D(A)

- #448 should be B L D(C )

- #449 should be L(C ) D B

- #27 should be D B L D B(C )

- #28 should be D(C ) B L D B L

- #20 should be D B L D B L? -- the question is on the final lunch

Also, change the headings of the chart so that the first column is lunch; trains where the first meal is breakfast would then have their chart elements moved over to the right. Trust me, it'll be more compact and clearer to read. (You'll find you don't need the final dinner column, either, so it'll be two columns fewer.)

Again, anyone who can resolve the question about #20 or give the meal list for #97 would be appreciated.

#20, the northbound Crescent must be a mistake. The train leaves at 7am, so the first meal would have to be breakfast or lunch (not sure), but not dinner.

Yep, sorry for the garbled data. My fault this time.

#20: B L D B L

I do think it looks better -- less visually distracting -- if the columns are lined up by meal, as they were in the earlier version. It avoids creating "checkerboard patterning".

....but lunch should be the first column please. :) Just see how it looks.

(Use California Zephyr #6 EB as the "key" row -- it's the only one with seven meals. Everything else will fit into columns over or under that.)

Thanks for all of your work on this. You should ask Amtrak if they want to put it on their menu page. I think it would help a lot of people.

Wow. Beautiful. Thanks again.

Now if only we knew what was going on on #97.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poking this topic. This chart needs to be moved to a sticky in the "First Time" forum. Can a moderator do something like that?

Back