List of meals served on all LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old topic, but hopefully this will help: AFAIK 97 is D-B-L. The times bear this out, 91 and 97 arrive in Miami just 50 minutes apart, if 91 isn't serving dinner then 97 won't unless they get extremely late. Even if they did an abbreviated dinner at 4:30 at best you could only serve Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, and Miami sleeper passengers. Given the short period of time I don't see that as being even remotely feasible to serve and then have the crew complete inventory, clean up, etc. Leaving New York at 3:15 there's no way they'd be serving lunch, they'd be prepping dinner.

Thanks Battalion!

Now, is there any way a moderator can make a sticky of this? It is a FAQ.

...thank you, moderators. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this table need to be updated?

AmtrakLDMealSchedule_zps223df6fe.jpg

Information that is not current is worthless

Thanks in advance for all your help

I think Silver Meteor, 97 should be D, B, L

and Silver Meteor, 98 should be B, L, D, B

I also think Cardinal 51 needs to be corrected, but I am not sure.

Yeah, the Cardinal's directions are reversed. Eastbound starts with dinner, westbound starts with breakfast.

ok made these changes

97 SB leaves at and arrives at 6:30 pm so I made it L,D,B,L

98 NB leaves at 11 AM and arrives at 6:30 so i made it L, D, B, L

Cardinal reversed and removed language about heat and eat

what else do i need to do?

Amtrak%20Long%20Distance%20Meal%20Schedule%206-16_zpsmpnfriuy.png

Make sure the BLDB's match up between the left side and the right side (like 50- Eastbound: B,L,D,B should be 50- Eastbound: D,B,L,D)

good catch,, you look at stuff so long, you don't see anything

have made the change,will wait to see if there are other changes before i repost

good catch,, you look at stuff so long, you don't see anything

have made the change,will wait to see if there are other changes before i repost
Yep, always good to get a 2nd, 3rd, 100th pair of eyes to check things out.

I'll contact web masters/owners of websites, if I can find a "contact us", when I see typos. Not because I'm picky, but because it can make the site look bad and they may loose business.

ok made these changes

97 SB leaves at and arrives at 6:30 pm so I made it L,D,B,L

98 NB leaves at 11 AM and arrives at 6:30 so i made it L, D, B, L
97 leaves NYP at 3:15pm. Dinner is the first meal.

98 leaves MIA at 8:10am. Breakfast is the first meal (usually) and ordinarily lunch is not served the second day because it is scheduled to arrive in NYP before noon.

What else do I need to change?
Your info on the CZ and EB are wrong. They should be:

CZ West D B L D B L East L D B L D B *L (can't remember if they serve lunch before arrival).

EB West D B L D B East D B L D B *L (see above).

You show EB 28 as 26.

I think I got them all, your help is greatly appreciated.

MODERATOR NOTE (7/5/19): please see subsequent posts for additions and corrections to this chart. It was mentioned that an extra day was added to the Empire Builder and that Southbound Crescent may have any extra breakfast and lunch.

Amtrak%20Long%20Distance%20Meal%20Schedule%206-16_zpsic7jp1a6.png

Thank you, andersone, for your efforts to bring the chart back up to date.

Northbound CONO (#58) doesn't serve lunch. In fact, they're in a hurry to get breakfast done.

Or at least it didn't as of November 2015.

ETA: Thanks for the great job, by the way.

Andersone,

Is it possible for you to separate 21/22 and 421/422 on your grid?

The current CL (https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/261/881/Capitol-Limted-Dining-Car-Menu-0416.pdf) lists breakfast and "express lunch". There is no "brunch" specified. Interestingly continental breakfast is a listed as a breakfast and a lunch option.

The CL 29 serves breakfast upon arrival into CHI but the LSL 49 does not? The LSL arrives after the CL.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a roomette for one of the legs of a trip I am planning and I wanted to see what meal(s) to get. I know the Amtrak steak isn't available on the LSL currently. After the horror of the last CL trip I'd like to avoid the CL (at least eastbound where you have to deal with CSX at the end of the trip). I'm guessing either Chicago-Texas or Texas-Chicago would be the best choice.

Even though there is currently no Diner on #49, Breakfast IS served on the way to Chicago.

I'm not certain what is on offer, but I would think it is similar to the Limited Menu available on the CONO and the Cardinal???

As for the Texas Eagle (#21/22/421/#422), between San Antonio and Chicago the following meals are served in the CCC/Diner(Full Menu).

#22/#422:(5) Breakfast, Lunch,Dinner,Breakast,Lunch

#21/#421:(4) Dinner,Breakfast,Lunch,Dinner

This chart is an amazing reference tool! I wish Amtrak better detailed the order of what meals will be served on each of their long distance trains on Amtrak's website, like how it's shown here. Another thanks for doing all the work to make that long distance train meal chart, andersone!

I think I got them all, your help is greatly appreciated

The Empire Builder is a two-night trip, not a three night trip. There are only two dinners and two breakfasts each way. Also, I think that the "complimentary cold meal for Portland passengers" language needs to be revised to specify "Portland sleeper passengers." There are some coach passengers who do regularly take advantage of the dining car (me being one!), and if they are unfamiliar with Amtrak they might be disappointed when they are denied one of those cold meals aboard the train.

I think I got them all, your help is greatly appreciated

The Empire Builder is a two-night trip, not a three night trip. There are only two dinners and two breakfasts each way. Also, I think that the "complimentary cold meal for Portland passengers" language needs to be revised to specify "Portland sleeper passengers." There are some coach passengers who do regularly take advantage of the dining car (me being one!), and if they are unfamiliar with Amtrak they might be disappointed when they are denied one of those cold meals aboard the train.
Speaking of that if you don't have a sleeper aboard the Portland-Spokane leg of the Empire Builder, does that at least have a cafe car(of course where you'd have to pay) for coach passengers? I totally understand on all long distance routes, that complimentary meals are only for sleeper passengers.

Back