Live Railcam catches shooting at Tucson station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two guys who boarded with the shooter are almost certainly undercover DEA agents working with the K9 officer. They identify suspects for further investigation and this time it looks like their suspicions were correct.
Ah, didn’t think of that. So they and possibly two others, we’re the injured/killed.

Crossing the threads a little bit, I'm profoundly grateful that Facebook is down today so I don't have to spend the day moderating arguments about this in the FB group.
Likewise!

BTW here is an Amtrak Alert tweet about this affecting service...

Service Advisory: Sunset Limited Train 1 scheduled to depart New Orleans (NOL) on 10/6 will originate at San Antonio (SAS) on 10/7 due to an equipment issue. For reservation assistance, please call 800-USA-RAIL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
"Equipment Issue", LOL! How long can Amtrak go with that story?
Well strictly speaking it is indeed an equipment issue, in that they will not have the necessary equipment in NOL to originate the train there, because they figure it will be stuck in Tucson long enough. They apparently believe it will make it to SAS to turn around.

Now of course the root cause is the Shootout at OK Coral in Tucson is ... well ...

The alert just before the service disruption one is:

"Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle Train 2/422 that departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 10/3 is holding at Tucson (TUS) due to ongoing police activity. We will update as additional information becomes available."

2 isn't showing at all on Track A Train, and shows no status beyond Tucson.

Reactions: Cal
At least when the Chicago Transit Authority sends out a service disruption notice it will use the terminology. "due to police activity."

I read this: "... Counter Narcotics Alliance, a task force comprised of local and federal law enforcement agencies, boarded a New Orleans-bound Amtrak train stopped at a station in downtown Tucson around 8 a.m. to do a routine check for illegal guns, drugs, money, and other items. "

It sounded like a "routine" search rather than a search for specific people. Is this now routine on Amtrak trains?

My friend and I just got off the Southwest Chief heading East from Flagstaff. There were 2 Amtrak Police on our train. I was glad to see them. I don't know and didn't care why they rode with us, but it was reassuring to see them.

It sounded like a "routine" search rather than a search for specific people. Is this now routine on Amtrak trains?

More like a fishing trip. They do these soft search on trains, ever once in a while. A plan clothes office will ask you questions. You don’t have to engage them. Just be polite. They also will pat down your soft side luggage. There a loop hole in the law to allow this.

If your in a sleeper just polite say “No I don’t want to talk to you” and then close your door. In coach say the same thing and if you see them coming move your luggage away so they can not reach above you and pat it down.

I don't know the details but if there is someone on board, or two people in this case, who are willing to shoot it out with law enforcement, maybe it's better law enforcement be the ones to confront the two vs Amtrak employees or passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back