Live Report - Memphis - Grand Junction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVRM610

Conductor
Hello from the Metro Lounge in Chicago... partway through the trip so here is a quick report so far...

Got dropped off at Memphis Central Station last night... glad to see the station is kept up so well. The waiting room is small and simple with historic benches and some really cool historic neon signs that make the whole station glow as only neon can!

I picked up my ticket from the quick track but I overheard a few conversations with the ticket agent and he was very friendly to other passengers.

The train arrived a few minutes late with Heritage Unit #145... always a treat!

I was in the Transdorm... upon boarding the room was still messy from detraining passengers... no sign of an attendant until after we left Memphis and a fellow passenger asked someone to get our attendant... when he did show up he was friendly and emptied the trash, changed the pillows, and set up the lower bed. He reminded me about the early breakfast on the City and wished me good night.

Slept pretty good... it seems the CN is doing some decent work, track seemed smoother than I remember in most places, with some rough areas still there.

Woke up a little after 7 am to the dining car announcing last call for Breakfast... I got in to the Diner about 7:10 AM. I think they announced the dining car closed around 7:30.

Express Menu for Breakfast (Scrambled Eggs, French Toast, Continental) - I had Scrambled Eggs with potatoes and croistant, apple juice, and coffee. Really friendly diner crew, just the LSA, Server, and Cook. All 3 of them thanked me on my way out. The LSA brought everyone in the diner a to-go cup of coffee at the end of the meal. Nice touch.

Got back to the room and the bed was still down (I had left the door and curtain open), so I converted the room myself, never saw the sleeper attendant again anyways... in the past I've always gotten good service in the Trans-dorm but this guy was pretty much invisible.

We hit Kankakkee about an hour late, into Chicago about 20 minutes late. In the Amtrak Yard I saw a whole fleet of Pullman cars ready to go (I think 4 cars total), maybe it's headed out tonight on the City?

Also saw an Amtrak crew switching 2 "X-train" cars.. that was fun! They were headed to one of the maintenance buildings.

Checked into the Metro Lounge easily, watching the news reports about the snow and about to head out into the station in a few minutes before catching the Zephyr this afternoon.

More to come! I'll try to post later on as well.

Sounds like your heading in the right direction ( West!) from CHI! LOL

I too think the Memphis Station is neat, glad it's still there!( Elvis used to ride the train to/from there!)

Good to know the old IC tracks are getting trackwork, last time I rode the CONO South of Memphis through the Delta the tracks were very rough!

Looking forward to your trip report from the Zephyr, always a wonderful route!

My memory from the Memphis station is from a couple of years ago when we stopped early and I found the lower floor of the depot full of high school kids and their prom party. A wild and crazy affair but neat that they could enjoy their event in such an historic place. Enjoying your report and hoping you are now sleeping across Nebraska. Have a good trip. :)

Ok never got around to typing out the "live trip report" and why is part of the report... in my sleeper the outlet did not work. The zephyr had it's weird winter consist... Baggage, Sightseer, Coach, Coach, Diner, Sleeper, Sleeper. I really didn't feel like carrying my laptop all the way to the lounge just to plug it in and charge it, so I never got around to typing a trip report out. Oh well... I have a good memory.

During my chicago layover I walked over to Willis Tower for Starbucks and lunch (excellent high end food court on the 2nd floor of the tower). I also took some pictures of the tower, and of course of the Great Hall back at Union Station. And before train time I ALWAYS have to get something at Jamba Juice!

Headed back to the lounge, dropped of a $1 to the red cap when claiming my bag (I like the guarded baggage storage in Chicago), and boarded the train... settled into the Roomette... lower level on this train. The attendant came by, was friendly, I told him that I had an early dinner and after that I would hang out in the lounge until bed time, so he could lower the bed anytime after I left for dinner.

We were stuck behind a metra train on the way out, so lots of 79mph, then 30, 79, then 30, etc. etc. the Conductor did announce why we kept slowing down.

The LSA was nice enough but the Diner, as usual was interesting. First of all.. there was an LSA, 2 servers, and a server trainee. Seems a little overkill for a train in winter consist, only half of the diner was ever used. The LSA greeted me and seated me, but the one waitress really took over and lectured the entire 4 table seating group before any orders were taken. It was sort of like "I'm gonna shout out everything about the menu right here and right now so no one asks any questions" tone. Among the topics covered were the changes to the menu, "Amtrak changed the policy, it's not me, it's amtrak, if you have a problem it wasn't my idea. If you're in coach you will pay for salad if you want a salad, the only drink you'll get for free is water" - I'm not exaggerating here. ha.

Now that being said.. once the lecture was over service was just fine, and both servers and the trainee were very nice, refilled my tea etc. They did forget to bring our table salads, and there was a mix up about my dessert too, but everything was handled nicely and eventually we did get salads (after the entree) and I did get my dessert!

I had the lasagna, it was fine... like all Amtrak pasta dishes nothing special but it was edible. For dessert I ordered the "chocolate moose cup" thinking it was the moose from a couple years ago that came in the square plastic parfait. Not at all. This was more like chocolate pudding with some coco powder sprinkled on top. Reminded me of something at a grade school cafeteria (think worms in dirt without the worms if you know what that summer camp favorite is!).

After dinner I headed to the lounge to charge my phone... a lady and her grandson, who were in the diner, asked me if I wanted to play cards with them... they tried to teach me shoot the moon... I had a great time actually! They were traveling to Denver and were having a great time enjoying the train.

After the card game my phone was charged so I headed back to the room... it was ready to go and I had a great nights sleep.

Woke up, the train was 20 minutes early... I was changing from Sleeper to Coach in Denver (used points so I wanted to stay in 1 zone, I knew I would be in the lounge for the entire Denver - Grand Junction run anyways) I really didn't feel ready for breakfast so early and since the train was early I knew i would have time to get off and explore Denver so I just stayed in bed until close to the station. I departed... left my attendant $10 and explored the newly refurbished Denver Union Station. WOW. I love it. I was so impressed with the place. I ventured across the street to take pictures and to find the closest starbucks. After an iced coffee and croissant I headed back... the weather in Denver was amazing.. i barely needed a hoodie!

Conductor scanned my ticket at the platform, and the attendant gave me a seat check for GJ and sent me on my way.. the train was practically empty leaving Denver, my coach (one of only 2) was maybe 30% full and stayed that way. I dropped off my seat check and headed straight for the lounge to grab a good window seat. My favorite stretch of railroad is Denver to Granby... the views were lovely as always. Not too much snow considering the time of year.. but enough snow to make it seem like winter.

At some point I grabbed some hummus and pretzels from the cafe car, a couple waters as well. We did pass the east bound zephyr at some point and everything was smooth running all the way to Grand Junction.

The sleeper attendant had juice and coffee available only during the new hours (till 11:30 AM I think?) and an Amtrak sign was posted stating this. I can't remember if extra waters were out or not. No ice however.

The zephyr is such a great ride. the views are just non-stop leaving Denver... I could ride that stretch everyday I think.

Back