Loading on track 2?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Why would a passenger train come in on track 2 at WSS? A freight had just gone by on #1, so it was usable. Pax weren't real happy having to cross an active track, not to mention the rails, ties, gravel, etc. I can figure that that's what the dispatcher ordered, but why would he put a freight on the nearest one to the station and a pax train on the furthest one -- it just doesn't compute. :help:

Usually if the DS puts Amtrak on the 'wrong main' into a passenger station it's because s/he was unable to cross the train over prior to arrival or knew that the No. 1 main would be blocked ahead. My guess is that it has something to do with the major track work (tie gang) going on west of WSS at the moment.

Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually if the DS puts Amtrak on the 'wrong main' into a passenger station it's because s/he was unable to cross the train over prior to arrival or knew that the No. 1 main would be blocked ahead. My guess is that it has something to do with the major track work (tie gang) going on west of WSS at the moment.

Edit: typo
Makes sense. Thanks! Just never heard of it before and was curious. I never really realized how high the rails were till I watched elderly ladies and gents trying to get over them, fortunately, the train had an excellent crew and they did a fantastic job helping everyone across and onto the train.

I've been on the EB a few times and that happened. There was a freight beyond the station going the opposite direction and was blocking the crossover switch. So we had to come in on the far track, but because it's a extended (smoke) stop the EB continued a mile or so past Shelby, switched tracks and backed into the station!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back