Lockers in Chicago or Sacramento?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal2Pluto

Train Attendant
Hi..... I'm fairly new and learning a lot from you experts. Thank you! Hubby and I have a vacation planned for next summer. Harrisburg>Denver>Sacramento>Portland>Chicago>Harrisburg. We are getting hotels in Denver and Portland. However, we have a 5 hour layover in Chicago and a 9 hour layover in Sacramento. Does Amtrak have lockers we can put our backpacks into so we don't have to lug them around while we explore? If not, are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
Kris

Chicago has lockers. I don’t believe Sacramento does. The Amtrak counter at Sacramento may or may not store your bags for a fee. (Not sure what the official policy is, but it will change from day to day based on who is working anyways).

If you’ll be traveling in a sleeping car in / out of Chicago you can store your bags in the Metropolitan Lounge for free.

Chicago has lockers. I don’t believe Sacramento does. The Amtrak counter at Sacramento may or may not store your bags for a fee. (Not sure what the official policy is, but it will change from day to day based on who is working anyways).

If you’ll be traveling in a sleeping car in / out of Chicago you can store your bags in the Metropolitan Lounge for free.

I have never heard of agents making up their own policies regarding the baggage department storing luggage, but, alright…
Hi..... I'm fairly new and learning a lot from you experts. Thank you! Hubby and I have a vacation planned for next summer. Harrisburg>Denver>Sacramento>Portland>Chicago>Harrisburg. We are getting hotels in Denver and Portland. However, we have a 5 hour layover in Chicago and a 9 hour layover in Sacramento. Does Amtrak have lockers we can put our backpacks into so we don't have to lug them around while we explore? If not, are there any other options?
Thanks in advance!
Kris

It’s been a bit since I’ve been to Chicago and paid attention, but they use to have lockers. However, you can definitely store bags at the baggage counter, though at a cost.

Attachments

• 9849726D-2F51-4910-A8C7-E76032211BCB.jpeg
    9849726D-2F51-4910-A8C7-E76032211BCB.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3
Bags are not locked up or closely watched over. It is just a room to the right of the entry that anyone allowed in the lounge can access.

Yes, it’s called a luggage storage room. It’s for storing luggage.
The entrance to the storage room is right next to the desk at the entrance to the Metropolitan Lounge and there is always at least one (usually two) people checking passengers into the lounge, including into the storage room, so a bold and confident thief could probably just walk in and take something, but only once; the attendants would certainly notice someone going in and out of the room with multiple items, especially if they never saw them going in with anything. And they would definitely check their tickets if they didn't remember them from earlier that day, and sometimes even if they did.

It's not bank-vault secure or even checked-luggage secure, but I wouldn't hesitate leaving normal luggage their. (Maybe a brief-case full of ransom money or the stolen secret submarine plans or something, that you should keep handcuffed to your wrist, but a change of clothes?) I think the biggest danger is some other passenger accidentally taking your bag because it looks just like theirs. I have very distinctive-looking luggage with my initials on it, but I did once seen an identical bright yellow LL Bean large roller duffel unload at my baggage claim at some airport somewhere. However, the wrong bag was all clean and shiny and new-looking, not beat up and scruffy like mine! And lacking my initials.

Was the shelf in the storage area solid or a mesh that a luggage lock with cable could be put through.

If solid and you had more than one bag locking them together with a cable would deter carrying them out.

Was the shelf in the storage area solid or a mesh that a luggage lock with cable could be put through.

If solid and you had more than one bag locking them together with a cable would deter carrying them out.
I have stored my bags at lounges in LA, Washington, Boston, New York, Portland, and mostly at Chicago, both in the old Red Cap controlled room in the old lounge and the current one. No lounge except Chicago ever had any security, and they don't since they opened the new lounge. My recollection is the shelves are solid.

I've never worried about it and never had a problem. I routinely use lounge storage. If you are that concerned, I imagine the $10/bag to day check them in the baggage room would be worth the peace of mind.

Back