Locomotive Swap on CZ #6 in Denver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDeh88

Train Attendant
My wife and I dropped off my mother-in-law around 6:30 pm on Saturday, October 19th at the temporary station. We stuck around to see her off as scheduled departure was 7:10pm Around 6:45pm they pulled the #1 loco off a couple hundred feet up the line, took #2 around the corner (under Wewatta/Park Ave overpass) and parked it. They backed #1 back to the #2 position and put the Denver spare on the head-end.

Anyone know what happened? I saw an engineer messing with some breakers and going in and out of the engine room multiple times before backing out. We left around 7:45pm and they didn't leave Denver until almost 9:00pm I think my mother-in-law said.

Is a Denver spare usually kept here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what happened, but yes, Amtrak tries to keep a spare locomotive in Denver for emergencies. Could be that they just needed to swap engines for maintenance purposes or it could be that one of the engines was having a problem and they decided to drop it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back