London to Baja California ~ across America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The interior and exterior shots are nearly identical to Michigan's Capitol Building. The largest difference is the decoration in our dome.

A quick Wiki search confirms my suspicion: both buildings used the same architect! :) No wonder.

Thursday 10 January Day 28 - Denver... Part II and onwards

Posted France ~ Wednesday 12 June 2019

Denver Greyhound Bus Station to Austin Greyhound Bus Station - Depart 19:35pm Greyhound Schedule 7309 ~ Arrive Austin 17:05pm Friday 11 Jan

The History Colorado Center is a new museum, it's bright, airy and eclectic, we thought it covered a lot of ground well, see the photos.

We are very interested in the 1930's Dustbowl disaster, it started by reading Steinbeck years ago, a stay in Kansas and then a longer one in Oklahoma, later a visit to the Steinbeck Center in Salinas CA, so were drawn immediately to these exhibits.

a-s67169a.jpg

There was also a plague of locusts on the plains in the 1930's, ate the crop, clothes hanging on a washing line and much else. https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe30s/pests_02.html

b-n11986a.jpg

100 years+ before Tesla and the like, absolutely amazing

c-s67173a.jpg

Our hotel is opposite the old Fritchle factory, we had no idea until we visited the museum

d-s67174a.jpg

Amazon move over, you are 150 years too late

e-s67199a.jpg

What sort of pet cat is that, looks more like a Leopard cub. The children don't seem too sure either...

f-n11988a.jpg

Magnificent sculpture outside the museum

g-n11997a.jpg

Made our way back to the hotel for our bags, but as we were early for the evening bus stopped at Toms Diner in Colfax. It came highly recommended but we just weren't hungry so just had cups of tea. If we are ever back in Denver we'll go to eat there, it felt like a very comfortable place to sit and eat and drink and had a good range on their menu, next time...

Bus from hotel back to the Greyhound station, arrive just over an hour before we leave to discover the bus will be delayed by 2 hours, the driver has phoned in sick and they have to wait for his replacement. That's ok, stuff happens but we do have a connection to make at Fort Worth, we'll see.
We get to board at 10pm, just over 2 1/2 hours late, bus is full but again quite a jolly bunch of people. The extra 1/2 hour is due to two disabled people needing help boarding, a lady in a wheel chair with a guide dog and a man on oxygen, Greyhound accommodates them all, well done Greyhound.
Due to the extra waiting time quite a few people are chatting with others, maybe a smaller group had already transferred from another bus together? Once on the bus this continues, talk up and down the bus from this small community. We later find out there are quite a few interesting characters and very nice human beings too, but that's for the next day.

The relief driver had already completed a shift recently, it was the reason for our delayed departure so he could grab 3 hours rest, he did look pretty tired though but didn't complain. There were a number of truck drivers on board, they saw the condition of the bus driver and went up front to chat with him, just to keep him company and awake. This continued until the next morning when he handed the bus over to the next driver, the rest of us could only thank those driving professionals who knew exactly what to do.

To be continued...

Last edited:
The interior and exterior shots are nearly identical to Michigan's Capitol Building. The largest difference is the decoration in our dome.

A quick Wiki search confirms my suspicion: both buildings used the same architect! :) No wonder.

In the main we have left old buildings behind now as have spent half a lifetime looking at lots and lots in Europe. But there is something that draws us to the US state Capitols, maybe because their similar design but more importantly they are obviously a place where real people work on important matters and there is a sense of power.

Sarah that's interesting that the same architect was used, I wonder how many they were involved in as the layout on the 3 we have visited is mildly similar.

Sarah that's interesting that the same architect was used, I wonder how many they were involved in as the layout on the 3 we have visited is mildly similar.

From Wiki:

"Elijah E. Myers (December 29, 1832 – March 5, 1909) was a leading architect of government buildings in the latter half of the 19th century, and the only architect to design the capitol buildings of three U.S. states, the Michigan State Capitol, the Texas State Capitol, and the Colorado State Capitol."

Thanks for the info about the Fritchle! I am very interested in old electric cars, as they were the norm till oil companies and automobile manufacturers teamed up to defeat electric-based and mass transit. An out-of-print movie, the End of Suburbia, documents how oil won out. The movie also theorizes that we can't keep consuming oil (and everything else) like there is no tomorrow, and that particular crash hasn't happened yet, mostly for political and technological reasons. But it's my personal opinion that the longer we put off paying the piper on that one, the harder the fall will be in the end.

Loved the photo of the kitten. I think it looks like a bobcat, with it's compact body and spots.

"Who killed the Electric Car" is another good documentary on the subject. My friends from the Power Authority of NY have helped me with my Alternative Energy classes by bringing samples of both EV and PHEV cars to my school and doing presentations on EVs and their place in NY. Tomorrow I will be manning a table at the CUNY Solar + Storage Summit representing the electrical trade in NYC. Retired but kept in the game......

Thanks Jennifer and PVD, electric vehicles and renewables are subjects that will grow and grow. Only yesterday Scotland announced they have sold off their last non-renewable power generating plants (based in England) and are the first country in the world who will be reliant on renewable energy only. They are making massive investment is football field sized battery storage plants to retain wind generated power from when it is available for availability for when it is needed, they think this is the way forward for power that is reliant on less than predictable climate sources.
In Europe the biggest complaint about electric vehicles is the cars are sold but a completely inadequate charging infrastructure is available to recharge batteries, and until the 10's or 100's of thousands of charging points are in place that sales will not take off.

Fascinating what you have both written about EV's, had no idea at all even though worked in various aspects of automotive for the majority of my working life, thank you.

Friday 11 January Day 29 - to Austin, TX by Greyhound

Posted France ~ Friday 14 June 2019

An unusual day ahead of us, we learnt a lot.

Woke to dull, grey and wet plains country and soon heard we were going to miss our connection in Fort Worth through to Austin. Later in the day we phone Jim (Bob Dylan) to let him know we will be late, he had offered to collect us from Austin Greyhound station at around 5pm. At this point we didn't know when we would arrive.
It wasn't too much of a problem for us as I had researched how to get from Greyhound (right out of town opposite side to our hotel) to our hotel by bus, and Jim probably had better things to do with his Friday evenings than to wait for a call from us.
Jim being Jim offered to pick us up what ever the time, what a sweet man he is, we'll see how it goes.

There are some curious conversations going on around where we were sitting in the center of the bus, two men behind us, one man behind and on the opposite of the aisle, two men opposite, and one man opposite but one row in front were occasionally talking about drug taking and prison. Out of the 8 people in those seats 5 had been to prison, 3 just released, 2 had spent time in prison a while back and 1 was going to be arrested as soon as he got back to his home state and then was going to prison. Before knowing any of this they all came across as regular reasonable people, after hearing a great deal about them and their lives during the next 8 hours we hadn't changed our minds.
All those who had been or was going to prison were convicted of crimes connected with drugs, they all said that by being in prison it increased the likelihood of drug taking, therefore didn't solve the problem. Rosie and I were a little taken aback as to how many released prisoners were on one bus, they explained they were given a Greyhound ticket home on their release.

At a meal/smoke stop the young man across the aisle was the first person in the bus to jump up and help the lady in the wheelchair to get off the bus and into the diner, another man not part of this group but who chatted easily to many of us came out of the diner with 3 sets of meals and drinks to give to fellow passengers who he knew had no money. He was a thoughtful soul who worked as an oil rig engineer and didn't like driving.
He had stories to tell of the oil rigs (land and sea). He said he was sick of the pollution (spills) the rigs were creating and no-one seemed to care and that there was no real enforcement unless it was international news, plus many other snippets of working in the oil industry.

He said he wanted to get away from the culture that pervades life around oil rigs, great money but awful conditions. Of course this was only his story but he was very articulate and believable. He was obviously a caring person too.

Another young man just out of prison on parole in the row in front on the opposite side was drawing on a sketch pad most of the journey. As he was drawing I could see his sketch pad quite clearly, how he formed and completed his pictures, I thought he was very talented. After he finished each sketch he screwed it up and threw it away. When I asked him why he said because they were 'garbage', no good to anybody, which wasn't true at all. He really was talented. I suggested maybe he could find work in a graphics studio, or somewhere he could use his talent, but he had a very low opinion of his abilities. It's important to realise too that all his drawing was in a moving bus, even more impressive.

These men mostly spoke amongst themselves but we are in the center of them, we now have a very colourful image of life in US prisons and how you may get there. What was very touching is one of the newly released men was very nervous about going home. He knew he had brought shame on his family and thought they wouldn't want anything to do with him. He was very preoccupied with what his family would say to him or even if they would ever speak with him again.
He was the first to leave the bus before Austin, almost a group hug amongst this small group as he left, he shook Rosie and me by the hand.
It was just a short stop and we don't smoke so stayed on the bus. We saw him pull his bag out from under the bus then walk off, he was a giant of a man. Then we saw him stop, a group of 6 or 7 people were standing waiting for him and one ran over and gave him a hug, brought tears to our eyes.

Next there was good bus news. We were advised to stay on the bus until Dallas (the connection from FW to Austin was long gone) so we did. At Dallas there would be a number of options to get to Austin, we arrived in Dallas at 5:30pm and Greyhound found us seats on the next Austin bound bus, we left at 6:30pm.
Before we left the artist came over to us in Dallas bus station, he had a wait for a bus in a different direction to us. He pulled his last drawing out of his sketch pad, "here, this is for you", then he was gone. The drawing is very detailed, it is full of demons, a nightmare, it was a very touching moment but we felt so sorry for him.

Our arrival in Austin was now slated at 10:30pm, we contacted Jim again and he said just fine, such generosity of spirit that man.

Arrived and there was long tall Jim Hudson, fussed around us like a mother hen and asked if we needed anything on the way to the hotel. Yes please some medication for sore throats (now both of us) and medication to relieve the affects of what we think is flu. Dropped by Jim's favourite supermarket for milk (for tea), throat lozenges and cough tablets, "bet you're pleased to see us Jim".

Get to bed at 12:30am, a long Greyhound day.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Saturday 12 January Day 30 - in Austin TX

Plan today was: Jim had to work but then we would walk to meet him downtown, get something to eat and try a different Honky Tonk to last time.

What happened was: Rosie was not at all well, I didn't feel too good, we stayed in our hotel room all day. Jim and I went to a eat at a local Vietnamese restaurant after he finished work, were back at our hotel by 8:30pm, Jim went home. A scintillating evening for Jim... not.

Maybe better tomorrow, we arrange to meet Jim at out latest check-out time to see more of Austin.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Sunday 13 January Day 31 - Austin to Baja California Sur, Mexico

Austin to Dallas Fort Worth - transfer - Dallas Fort Worth to San José del Cabo, Mexico ~ American Airlines Depart AUS 16:34pm - Arrive SJD 21:28pm

Sunday morning, leaving Austin day. Neither of us wanted to get up so didn't. Just about scrabbled around to get to the desk to check-out at noon with minutes to spare, Jim was on hand to help. We both felt like Zombies but were determined to get into town for the last hour or so we were there. Here are the fruits of our efforts, 2 photos.

There are some spectacular buildings going up in Austin, the tech companies have moved in and are changing the face of the city. Does look good though...

s67203a.jpg

Rosie wanted to visit one of the famed boot shops, here's the result, one of the aisles

n12000a.jpg

We've walked a little and feel better, but soon have to head to the airport which is not far out of town. Jim runs us there too, you don't know how grateful we are Jim.

We say our goodbyes and promise any other time we meet we will not be wusses, he takes it all in his stride, lovely man.

Starting to run out of energy but how hard is it getting on and off a couple of planes? plenty hard when your brain has gone AWOL. First up, left my hi-tec walking coat in Jim's car, but he's gone. No matter, we're going to Mexico where it is warm, we'll arrange something when we get back to LA.
Next, we wander around the airport looking to get airside to sit down, get through, walk a little and find somewhere to sit, then Rosie realises she has left her bag at the security area, she didn't bother to collect it after it went through the scanner. Run back to get it, all ok except for an ironic "where did you go?" and a second thorough check of the contents.

We thought we had got away lightly, we had made it to the Dallas plane and now it must get easier. Transfer in Dallas, smooth as silk until we realise that we are in the wrong departure lounge, and there are only a couple of minutes before our flight is called. Our excuse was our e-ticket gave us Gate 21, we hadn't bothered to confirm that when reaching the airport, it was Gate 30. Off we go...
Get to G 30, first I can't find my ticket, what the hell is going on. Then worse, Rosie can't find our passports, are we in an alternate universe?

We find everything soon and are on board, phew, we are going to Mexico. Lots of space on the plane, we can stretch out and relax, then we laugh (more like croak) at all these minor mishaps.

Arrive at San José del Cabo, no fuss immigration or customs checks, we weren't asked if we had a return ticket (which we didn't), waved through with a smile. Shuttle buses all lined up with clear instructions as to which was which, driven to the door of our hotel in Lomas del Rosarito, one of the villages that make up the urban area of SJD Cabo.

The hotel is the delightfully named Hotel Posada Señor Mañana, it looks like a hippy type of place which is fine by us, but we are too tired to care anyway. After a short rest Rosie, who is starting to feel better wants to walk to the center, 'just to have a look at night' as we'll be gone in the morning. We do that but she runs out of energy fast so return to sleep in the Cactus bed, but we've made it, our first visit to Mexico, another adventure awaits.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Monday 14 January Day 32 - San José del Cabo, Mexico

Posted France ~ Sunday 16 June 2019

We are up in time for breakfast but I return to bed, this bug is real. Manage to take a photo of the unique Cactus bed before returning to it, thinking where you can get such a thing of wonder?

s67206a.jpg

We discuss and decide that we aren't travelling today, Rosie takes our next hotel booking for that evening and asks the owner of this hotel if he can phone through and move our booking on a day for us, which he does with a smile, our only problem has been removed. Rosie then finds some pills for me then is off to breakfast. I sleep the rest of the day almost without waking.

The report is that breakfast is very good, a lot of fruit and cereal too. The hotel which we barely saw in the dark is pretty, lots of trees, shrubs and flowers growing in amongst the various walkways. After breakfast she returns to the town square to check out her first view of Mexico in daylight, colourful is the opinion, and this is a tourist town.

That evening we decide on a walk through the town, and although we see heavily armed police in places and also trucks with pairs of police standing in the back from time to time it doesn't feel dangerous, but almost no one out in the square. Christmas decorations are still everywhere, makes the place look pretty.

n12005a.jpg

Rosie tires very quickly again although she mostly sat and read or slept during the day, back to the hotel as we are definitely moving on tomorrow to one of the places we have looked forward to, La Paz.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Sorry to see someone was feeling bad. Nice photo of a deserted Plaza, what time was it taken? Looks like your not going down to Cabo San Lucas, LaPaz is an interesting place, much different than the rest of Baja. Hope you enjoyed some of the great food Baja is famous for.

Sorry to see someone was feeling bad. Nice photo of a deserted Plaza, what time was it taken? Looks like your not going down to Cabo San Lucas, LaPaz is an interesting place, much different than the rest of Baja. Hope you enjoyed some of the great food Baja is famous for.

As far as we can remember it was between 9:30 and 10:30 pm. There were some people in bars and cafés, just not on the street. We were told it was not high season until February, and this village is not near the coast either. It was the nearest place to the airport we could get a hotel that was also near a bus station combined. We do like the ocean but tend not to visit resorts or tourist towns very often, just our preferences.

La Paz sounded like just the place we'd enjoy, and we did. Didn't know about the good food there but you are exactly right, the meals we had there were excellent.

So you visited La Paz, is that how you know about the food or is it famous for it? Have you travelled extensively in Baja? did you ever get to Guerrero Negro?

Tuesday 15 January Day 33 - San José del Cabo to La Paz, Mexico

Posted France ~ Tuesday 18 June 2019

We both feel better, manage to have breakfast together. Our bus to La Paz isn't until around mid-day so we have time to spare. Rosie goes out to look and photo the town center in daylight, I'm slower and a little weaker than usual so have a leisurely shower and pack.

The town square is washed down and ready for the day

n12012a.jpg

There were a few of this type of business, probably not aimed at locals?

n12013a.jpg

n12016a.jpg

Don't want to offend, but it made us laugh

n12018a.jpg

The hotel rooms were loosely located around this central sitting and meeting area

n12022a.jpg

n12023a.jpg

Hotel called us a taxi for the bus station, normally we would have walked it but not today. The bus station was typical of others we saw during our stay. Parking places for 2 buses, the ticket office and waiting area quite small, and always groups of people (we only met Mexicans during our three bus journeys) spilling out of the office onto the steps or entrance, a very sociable setting.
Bought our tickets with a credit card, no problem and at the price seen online. The ticket clerk lady was very sweet offering to look out for our bags while we walked across the road to a fairly large Walmart for supplies. It looked very much like a USA Walmart, same layout and about the same product except more fruit and vegetable. Didn't see if they had Twinkies or Ding Dongs so not sure how Americanised it was.

We are following one of the main walkways when a large military type policeman walks past, checking down this and that aisle for whatever, it was a very surreal moment which will stay with us for a long time. He was maybe late twenties, about 6' 2" or 3", very fit and a very fine figure too. Dressed all in black he was extremely imposing in particular holding a large black automatic gun down his right side, finger on the trigger. The last thing to compute was he was pushing a shopping trolley... this last neither of us could associate with the man himself, it was completely unreal. Then we remembered of course we are in the center of a Walmart, even storm troopers have to go shopping.

Back to the bus station, bus is on-time and we board, nice bus. This bus is the next step up to a Greyhound. We do notice the whole section across the front of the bus is closed off, can't see out of the front window at all, this is the driver's secure area.

Fairly featureless landscape on the road north, until we near La Paz and mountains start to appear as do the cacti

n12026a.jpg

Comfortable ride through to La Paz, about 3 1/2 hours. Entering La Paz it became confusing as there are no indications which is which bus station of three. We know it is opposite the waterfront so should be obvious. Bus pulls into the third bus station and stops, still no sea but we are told to get off as it is the end of the journey. The bus station vehicle entrance is at the rear of the office which masks the bay, it all becomes apparent.

I had done the research and knew where our hotel was, just a short walk along the promenade, left out of the bus station. 2 Minutes and we are there, both tired by now but not unwell any longer, we feel very good and like what we have seen of the town so far. Good hotel although we are too mean to pay for a sea view, the hotel is directly on the waterfront.

We search out a small supermarket for milk, back to the hotel and make tea, we feel very comfortable here.

Later that evening out for a meal, both had seafood and it was delicious, just as anumberone predicted. A short stroll along the shoreline and early to bed, we want to explore this town and established seaport more tomorrow and need all the day.

A couple of photos from near to the hotel, good atmosphere and balmy weather, not bad for mid January

s67207a.jpg

s67217a.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
So you visited La Paz, is that how you know about the food or is it famous for it? Have you travelled extensively in Baja? did you ever get to Guerrero Negro?

I'm glad you liked the food, it's really good everywhere in Baja. I have been to LaPaz, only passed through and spent the night. I've passed through The Guerrero Negro area, just stopped for gas. My brother goes whale watching there. Sort of a remote place. I've done a lot of off road motorcycling in Baja helping a couple of guys that took group tours down there, mostly in the northern part, we did go all the way to Cabo a couple of times then fly home. Looking forward to more of your trip.

Wednesday 16 January Day 34 - La Paz, Mexico

Posted France ~ Sunday 23 June 2019

I'm still not fully recovered but ok if we take it easy, want to explore a little of La Paz just at a slower pace than we would usually, Rosie is almost back to full health though which means there is an end to this bug.

Found a laundry to wash a full bag of clothes for us, it was very low cost and all handled with a smile. Next up was to find the family we had asked about a boat trip the previous evening, their evening job was promoting and selling tickets for one of the boats that visits Isla Espirito Santo, one of the two marine sanctuaries beyond the bay. The instructions to find them in daytime were curious, they were behind a certain restaurant which happened to be close to our hotel.

I'm taking the liberty to tell a little of their story here, to us it was pretty inspiring. Mum, dad, and 2 boys. Elder about 18-20, younger maybe 10-12. Dad works on a boat during the daytime, mum along with elder son wash and clean cars during the day. Younger son at school during the week. In the evening 3 or 4 of the family are on the promenade all evening selling boat tickets for the company.
We find the restaurant, and sure enough there was a car being cleaned, older son washing outside, mum cleaning inside. She sees us and a big welcoming smile, beckons us into a room at the back of a restaurant. It's a machinery room. Looking around we worked out where we were, this was their home, they lived in the machinery room, all 4 of them. It was maybe 12 x 15 feet but immaculately clean. The mattresses were stood against the wall and a few personal possessions were there too, it was all too obvious but still a little unbelievable. So I was rude and asked if they lived there, mum confirmed they did. Rosie and I felt privileged to have met them, such a hard working family, everything done with a smile, not one word of complaint, we had a much to learn from them.

Mum explained that there was a northerly wind that afternoon and tomorrow, the sea out by the islands would be uncomfortable for passengers so they don't go out on those days. (Later at the tourist office they explained that it was agreed by an authority? in the town and enforced by the government whether the sea state was suitable for visits, this afternoon and all the next day was too rough, but the day after tomorrow would be ok). As we were leaving La Paz the following evening we couldn't get out to the islands on this visit, sounded like a great excuse to come back, we are starting to really like the feel of La Paz.

Dad had made a point of making enquiries on our behalf re where we were headed to whale watch, Guerrero Negro in the Reserva de la Biosfera El Vizcaino in central Baja (quite a remote place by all accounts). We hadn't asked him to do this just mentioned where we were headed for next, very kind. Mum explained that Grey whales had been seen in numbers at Adolfo Lopez Mateos, to the south of where were are headed, but it was almost guaranteed they would also be at GN.

All our conversations were in Spanish, English and mainly with their smart phone using google translate, we'll have to think of getting a smart phone before the next major journey, maybe?

Collect our cleaned clothes and return to the hotel, Rosie is going for a walk along the promenade and I'm going back to bed for a couple of hours. Later Rosie tells me when we come back that not only will we visit the islands but also we will swim with Whale Sharks, sounds exciting...

Although it isn't high season it nearly is and there aren't so many tourists here, well hardly any in fact. As far as we can tell it's 95% Mexican in this old established sea port and trading center. The occasional foreign voices we hear are Canadian in the main, a few Americans and us, we do like places that existed before modern tourism happened as they have an established culture.
Rosie discovered a supermarket not too far inland sold a good range of food, we're thinking of renting a small apartment for a month or so for a future winter stay, we'll see. That evening on our way to eat we call in at the bus station to buy 2 tickets for tomorrow's overnight luxury bus to Guerrero Negro, leaves at 9pm. We have all day to explore further into the town and plan to visit Balandra Beach (Playa Balandra) which is halfway down a large inlet on the La Paz peninsula.

Another very nice meal with help given by the staff of the restaurant in choosing from a comprehensive menu, then a stroll back to the hotel mid evening as we want to start early tomorrow. Say hello to the boat-ticket family on our way past, it appears as though they never stop working.

We like this town, is big enough to have all you need, is authentic as far as we know, has great transport links by air, bus and ferry. The balance between Mexicans and overseas visitors is at a level which suits us, and is on a beautiful bay with a serious amount of sea life in or near it, there is also a very nice feel to it. But from time to time police pickup trucks would roll past with heavily armed men standing in the back, strangely in just a few days we had started to get used to this. It was neither alarming or reassuring, almost starting to feel normal. But coming from a no-gun culture (UK) our instincts tell us this isn't normal (for us).

No photos for today, to be continued...

Last edited:
Wednesday 16 January Day 34 - La Paz, Mexico - photos found

Posted France ~ Monday 24 June 2019

A couple of photos from the 16 January found. First is an alternative planting in front of your house, Saguaro cactus that can grow to 25 feet tall. Appropriate house name.

n12034a.1.jpg

During the evening the wind is still blowing into the sheltered bay

n12037a.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoyed your La Paz experience. Too bad the wind was blowing, it can blow down there. I'm really happy to hear you are takin a bus up to Guerrero Negro, you passed through some interesting places, Loreto is really nice with a well kept Mission up in the mountains above town, up the road is Mulege another town with a mission. Looking forward to reading Your thoughts along the way to hopefully touching a whale.

Back