Long distance considerations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised that the kosher meals aren't vegan, honestly. Vegan food is all parve anyway. You can cover a lot of ethically based dietary restrictions in one fell swoop--kosher, halal, vegetarian--with a vegan menu. No need for multiple special menus on that basis.
I asked a Jewish friend of mine who keeps kosher (and in difficult circumstances at that time) about this very thing a number of years ago and she informed me that according to either Jewish or kosher "law", the only reason that was acceptable to not eat meat is if you are too poor to buy meat. The reason is if God says it's ok to eat animals (which "He" did), then we are saying we know better than God does if we avoid eating animals for ethical reasons. I'm not sure if she agreed with that reasoning or not. I know I don't. But apparently there is at least one strand of Jewish thinking that would oppose the wholesale elimination of animal products from kosher meals.

At the end of the day, all that matters is that folk can decide for themselves what foods they want to eat. The problems arise when the ingredients are not fully known, often by restaurant servers, and the supply chain is not known where there are possibilities of cross contamination.
Given that the OP decided to fly by page 2, it seems that Amtrak Unlimited is fuelled by food, not trains? :D

Amtrak seems to be sweeping LD service under the rug. Very little on the website re LD news and promotions, except promotional discounts which exclude solo travelers [nothing new.] A bit troubling is the LD promo... BOGO... the discount of which justifies the paltry meal service. If you're a single then there is one meal per room; if two... two meals per room. Twice as much for the same price. Bad news for solo travelers who are denied the extra meal!
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 9.58.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.06.46 AM.png

On nyp to Chicago. Was surprised no body is looking out for us. Masks are supposed to be worn but some people are coughing one is coughing non stop. No temperature checks to get on. That's disappointing. I'm going all the way to los Angeles. I could fly for 25 dollars next week. Train costs 222. To give you a example how afraid of flying I am. Probably would of still flown if i could do it last minute at low prices. For coronavirus 6 hours on plane likely safer than 65 on amtrak. But I havnt flown in 25 years. I'm editing this because 25 minutes out of nyc nobody new had masks and everyone took masks off as employees said not required. This is not safe at all

Last edited:
On nyp to Chicago. Was surprised no body is looking out for us. Masks are supposed to be worn but some people are coughing one is coughing non stop. No temperature checks to get on. That's disappointing. I'm going all the way to los Angeles. I could fly for 25 dollars next week. Train costs 222. To give you a example how afraid of flying I am. Probably would of still flown if i could do it last minute at low prices. For coronavirus 6 hours on plane likely safer than 65 on amtrak. But I havnt flown in 25 years. I'm editing this because 25 minutes out of nyc nobody new had masks and everyone took masks off as employees said not required. This is not safe at all

Today on the California Zephyr #6 (8); the conductor that boarded in Denver announced that masks need to be worn in all areas of the train, including the coach seats, with the only exception being inside the sleeper rooms . Not sure if there was a national change or if it's this conductor's policy. I'll see what the policy is on #48 tomorrow night.

Today on the California Zephyr #6 (8); the conductor that boarded in Denver announced that masks need to be worn in all areas of the train, including the coach seats, with the only exception being inside the sleeper rooms . Not sure if there was a national change or if it's this conductor's policy. I'll see what the policy is on #48 tomorrow night.

All night, too? Even while sleeping?

Amtrak seems to be sweeping LD service under the rug. Very little on the website re LD news and promotions, except promotional discounts which exclude solo travelers [nothing new.] A bit troubling is the LD promo... BOGO... the discount of which justifies the paltry meal service. If you're a single then there is one meal per room; if two... two meals per room. Twice as much for the same price. Bad news for solo travelers who are denied the extra meal!
View attachment 17954
re
View attachment 17955
I'd say that ad. writer may have 'stretched' things a bit..."receive complimentary traditional dining car service", and private restroom (in a Superliner?)...

In the ad writer’s defense, it does say:

Private rest room and shower in your car - yes there are restrooms and showers in your car on Superliners.

All it says is complimentary meals - not traditional dining car service.

I do agree that if I were a first time traveler, I would think it was a BOGO or 50% off - not just free rail fare for the 2nd person. Many do not realize you pay the full accommodation charge anyway.

In the ad writer’s defense, it does say:

Private rest room and shower in your car - yes there are restrooms and showers in your car on Superliners.

All it says is complimentary meals - not traditional dining car service.

I do agree that if I were a first time traveler, I would think it was a BOGO or 50% off - not just free rail fare for the 2nd person. Many do not realize you pay the full accommodation charge anyway.
Yup... and don't forget to mention the other small print... travel completed by Sept. 30th. That's long before the hoped for vaccine is hoped for... and we don't know the extent of the pandemic by then. Hmmm... and before LD capacity reductions go into effect. What will actually happen is anyone's guess; but personally I don't think traveling at this time is safe.

Look again...in the text section...under: "For 10 Days Only...."
https://www.amtraktrains.com/attachments/screen-shot-2020-07-07-at-10-06-46-am-png.17955/
I don't know about most people, but to me, a restroom shared with anyone in your car or other sleeper, I would not regard as "private"....
To take advantage of this roomette BOGO you will be traveling before September 30th... there's no way I would want to use a public restroom these days... folks like me like to 'er on the side of caution' and stay home. You don't know how valuable your health is until you lose it! Mantra for me is:

1 - stay home
2 - when you go out to shop for food etc... wear a mask
3 - wash your hands
;)

All night, too? Even while sleeping?

Tonight on #30, the conductor said that masks must be worn in the coach seats unless you're eating or drinking. He said that is a new policy. But then later on, he said you could take it off to sleep.

The official Amtrak site now simply says "All customers and employees must wear a face covering or mask while on trains or thruway buses. Face masks can be removed when customers are in their private rooms."

How about a bathroom in your house/RV/hotel that you share with your wife/kids/family/friends - would that be private?
There's a huge difference between having strangers, who might be Covid infected, sharing facilities vs family that you sit, eat, sleep and closely interact with all day.

As to friends, we provide a separate outhouse for them and burn it down after each use or make them quarantine for 14 days in it. I feed them "flex" menus.

Back