FRA Long Distance Service Study discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think being optimistic is good. This is a big initiative with some federal support. Getting improvements takes steps, and I think this is a great step along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if none of it happens, but I'm still excited and happy that something is being talked about.
Even if only half of this stuff happen, it will be a major improvement.

Sorry, but this is the biggest “pipe dream” I have seen on this forum yet…🙄
Some of these routes look way more feasible than others.
Dallas and Houston are two metropolitan areas that are about 250 miles apart---and each has about 7 million people, and there are no major terrain barriers between them. So it seems totally feasible that those two cities would have passenger rail service.
But sections like Denver to Billings seem much more difficult to implement, due to low population densities and terrain.

Some of these routes look way more feasible than others.
Dallas and Houston are two metropolitan areas that are about 250 miles apart---and each has about 7 million people, and there are no major terrain barriers between them. So it seems totally feasible that those two cities would have passenger rail service.
But sections like Denver to Billings seem much more difficult to implement, due to low population densities and terrain.
The plans being discussed here are for long-distance service. Dallas-Houston would be more of a corridor service, which would be part of a different program.

The plans being discussed here are for long-distance service. Dallas-Houston would be more of a corridor service, which would be part of a different program.
Although there is maybe a chance that some of these routes will be shortened if this ever comes to actuality.

Although there is maybe a chance that some of these routes will be shortened if this ever comes to actuality.
Dallas - Houston is already selected in the Corridor ID program both for High Speed and Conventional Rail. See the following PDF document:

https://railroads.dot.gov/about-fra...esident-biden-announces-82-billion-new-grants

The dashed lines are CID program selections. The solid lines are FSP program selections in the map. The AU thread to discuss this corridor and others shown in the document is the following:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/fras-corridor-id-program-and-possible-new-corridors.83238/

Please God, let me live long enough,,,
Indeed. According to the presentation deck the earliest to start any service is 15 years out.
Conceptual Timelines for Implementation (pg 154):
Near Term: 2040 - 2050
Mid-Term 2050 - 2060
Long Term: 2060+

I'm still buying green bananas, but I'm not planning on being around to ride anything in the "long term." Or if I am still around, I probably won't be able to see well enough to care about dirty windows. 🤓

Indeed. According to the presentation deck the earliest to start any service is 15 years out.
Mid-Term 2050 - 2060

I'm still buying green bananas, but I'm not planning on being around to ride anything in the "long term." Or if I am still around, I probably won't be able to see well enough to care about dirty windows. 🤓
If they are going to double ridership by 2040 they need to move a bit faster on near term.

Mid-Term 2050 - 2060

I would get mid 2030s because of rolling stock and needing congress to agree but 2040s, is amtrak really that short staffed that they'll finish connect US stuff and then move onto LD

Back