Long Distance Train Riding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billthebarn

Train Attendant
Just joined this forum. I've ridden just about all of Amtrak's system (not the Maine or Oklahoma lines). I love sleeping on the train and sometimes wonder why there hasn't been a contraption invented to simulate the movements of a train. I could use one for my bed at home. I also love when the train is barreling through a blizzard.

For about the past decade, I've been riding up in Canada...probably more than 15 round trips on the Canadian. Most of these were EXPRESS DEALS, off-season or rewards trips. If I had to rate each trip on the Canadian, they would all score 95% or above. I never had a bad attendant. Service in the dinner is supurb. The bed is very comfortable. The bathrooms and showers are spacious and clean. Fellow passangers, for the most part, are very nice. The crews seem to work as a team and do everything possible to make the customer's journey a pleasant one...even more, an unforgetable one.

Sometimes I get a great trip on Amtrak. Sometimes not. A couple weeks ago, someone posted pictures of the "lounge lizards" sleeping in the SSL. I was on the TE a few months ago. A lady was sprawled out on three seats. Other passengers were looking for seats. The conductor came through the car and I thought he would rectify the situation. He did wake her, but only to ascertain her destination. She went back to sleep. This was at 11 AM.

I've had excellent trips on Amtrak. The Coast Starlite is always close to 100% (whatever happened to Richard Talmy). The employees on CS seem to have gone through a separate training facility. They work together well.

As long as I'm bloviating, my pet peeve with Amtrak is the toilets. If Mr Boardman would ask, I would reccomend that the teflon liners on the bowls be replaced. Way overdue. I feel sorry for the SCA's who try to keep the toilets clean. Some have given up. Not a nice situation.

If Amtrak cannot upgrade its training, why not contract for VIARAIL to do the training? If Amtrak doesn't acknowledge it has problems, things will never get better. Canada can't even win a Stanley Cup. Why should it have a better train system than the USA?

There are white noise machines that will play the sound of a train, both the horn and the sound of the tracks. As for the motion, I'm not sure. You could get a waterbed. :)

Glad to hear you got tired of watching from the side of the tracks and decided to climb aboard. Welcome!

I'm not touching the subject of toilets. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I agree with your assessment of the Canadian. I have only traveled on it once - and it was "love at first sight." :lol:

As I usually take both the viewliner in the east and the superliners in the west, I prefer the toilets on the viewliner as they have water in them. Keeps the toilets much cleaner rather than the vacuum suction of the superliner cars. Not sure why they changed them for the double decker trains. Unless it has to do with the upstairs bathrooms in the bedrooms, but in coach cars that is not the case, they are all on the lower level and could still be like the viewliner toilets.

Not sure why they changed them for the double decker trains. Unless it has to do with the upstairs bathrooms in the bedrooms, but in coach cars that is not the case, they are all on the lower level and could still be like the viewliner toilets.
June, the Superliner's came first, so they changed things with the Viewliners.

:hi: Welcome to the Best Train Forum on the Net! I really enjoyed your Post, I totally agree with your opinions re The Canadian and Amtrak, but then Candians are known for their Politeness and Friendliness while lots of Amtrak Staff are known for their Attitude when working in Customer Service Positions and Vanishing once the Train Leaves the Station! I look forward to you sharing your Experiences and Opinions with Us! Happy Rails to You! ;)

Hi, let me introduce myself - I'm the guy that didn't love his trip on the Canadian. Admittedly, the food was vastly superior to Amtrak as was the bedding - but we had a waiter that thought he was funny. The pax thought he was nasty or stupid. I felt that the communication of what was happening on the train - and there were numerous things going was not well done - I didn't know what I had to do to get information. Also I was unable to get a timetable so I could know where I could get off the train and internet at the stations.

If I want to go for a ride, it will be in the states - and maybe I'll meet up with one of you guys. :D

Not sure why they changed them for the double decker trains. Unless it has to do with the upstairs bathrooms in the bedrooms, but in coach cars that is not the case, they are all on the lower level and could still be like the viewliner toilets.
Well, then they changed them for the better.

Well, then they changed them for the better.
The reason for the vacuum toilets on the Superliner is that the holding tank is above the "A" end truck in the equipment room. it is not under the car as on the Viewliners. It is pretty hard to get waste and water to flow uphill without a vacuum system.

:hi: Welcome to the Best Train Forum on the Net! I really enjoyed your Post, I totally agree with your opinions re The Canadian and Amtrak, but then Candians are known for their Politeness and Friendliness while lots of Amtrak Staff are known for their Attitude when working in Customer Service Positions and Vanishing once the Train Leaves the Station! I look forward to you sharing your Experiences and Opinions with Us! Happy Rails to You! ;)
I recently rode on the Sunset Limited, the Crescent, and the Lake Shore Limited and found that the staff on each of these trains to be, for the most part, efficient and friendly. Occasionally there are jerks who shouldn't be in customer service, but I think you find that most anywhere.

Back