long distance trains are not safe til sep!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_flyer

Train Attendant
LDR ARE NOT SAFE TIL SEPTEMBER.....FY2003 FUNDING (THIS YEAR) HAS WRITTEN IN IT THAT NORMAN MINETA (TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY) WILL FUND EACH TRAIN ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS..AS OF THIS DATE NONE OF THE GRANTS FOR SPECIFIC TRAINS HAS BEEN APPROVED.

I RECEIVED A NOTE FROM ALLAN RUTTER (FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINSTRATION) TODAY ....IN IT HE STATES...

"The provisions of the consolidated appropriations act of FY2003 may aid in ensuring the short-term accountability for federal funds appropriated for Amtrak. However, they do not address the underlying strucyral problems in Amtraks current business model for providing intercity passenger rail service that are the focus of the Secretary's principles of reform. THE CHALLENGES FACING INTERCITY PASSENGER RAIL ARE SO GREAT THE THE ADMINSTRATION BELIEVES THAT THE CONGRESS AND ADMINISTRATION MUST BEGIN NOW TO IMPLEMENT THE PRINCIPLES IDENTIFIED BY THE SECRETARY."

This is just my opinion but I dont think the adminstration gives any value to anything David Gunn has done or has the possiblity to do. The adminstrations mind is already made up. With the country concentrating on the war, I would not be surprised to see a major announcment made by Norman Mineta this week..saying he will not fund the majority of Amtraks long distance routes. They are going to try to pull the whole system...very soon...THIS IS SERIOUS.

Call the Presdent, your senators, and representatives...get the word out to your friends, local newspaper editorials, etc.

This has been the case for the past 32 years. Nothing ever changes. I my opinion, the government will continue to have Amtrak wobble along with little funding for years to come (hopefully).

Long distance trains have to be safe until at least September, since not even Norman Mineta or the Administration has the power to override the 6-month discontinuation notice. It will take an act of Congress to change that law.

If the administration does indeed want to cut routes (something that wouldn't surprise me), they must still provide funding for at least six months. Additionally I'm not so sure that Congress will be that distracted by a war, such that they won't notice. While Congress may let a few routes die, I for one don't believe that they will stand idly by and let the administration dismantle the entire LD system.

Finally, while you may be right that the administration isn't too worried about David Gunn, they had better be. Because I don't think that David will stand for a major cutback on LD trains. He might allow the Sunset to fade and perhaps the Cardinal to fly away. Beyond that, I don't think he will stand for it.

He will pull the plug just as he threatened last July, and leave millions of commuters who are registered voters to express their displeasure at our President and the Republican controlled Congress.

If we loose Amtrak, expect a Democratic landslide in the next two major elections.

First of all, the commuter services operated by Amtrak are protected by language in the appropriation authorization, so they won't be stopped by Mr Gunn. The money for those services is specifically set aside.

Secondly, the discontinuation of the Cardinal would require the repealing of a federal law that was put in place years ago. The law basically states that Amtrak must continue to offer at least tri-weekly passenger rail service between Washington and Chicago via Cincinnatti.

Lastly, the DOT has made statements to Mr Gunn and the Board of Directors that indicate the DOT is willing to fund all current service for FY2003 so long as Amtrak provides a comprehensive cost analysis for each train. The DOT may be looking to make some cuts for FY2004 though...

railman said:
First of all, the commuter services operated by Amtrak are protected by language in the appropriation authorization, so they won't be stopped by Mr Gunn.  The money for those services is specifically set aside.
You are correct the funding bill did direct that monies be set aside to continue commuter service in the event of an Amtrak failure. However, Congress wasn't quite as smart as they thought.

If David were to shut down Amtrak, having money set aside won't save the commuter RR's. With no Amtrak, there would be no payroll. No payroll means there will be no Amtrak employees manning the equipment, repairing the tracks, in some cases selling tickets, or running the dispatching centers.

Yes those employees can and probably will be hired by the commuter services with that money. However that will take time and most likely would still cause severe problems for at least a week, maybe longer.

So IMHO Congress didn't fully remove the gun from David Gunn's hand. They may have stolen some of the gunpowder, but there is still enough left to still fire a bullet. :)

I don’t understand what killing the long distance routes will do for Amtrak. Since the trains run over other company’s tracks, very little savings can be realized. Every expert I read about explains that Amtrak’s major expenses are in the capital tied up in the north east and growing debt service.

I was on the east-bound Sunset Limited a week ago last Sunday (16 March) from San Antonio to New Orleans. It was jammed full of riders; you had to go out onto the platforms at stops to change your mind. Long lines were common in the café in which people were spending money like trash, and the diner had to extend its hours to accommodate the overflow during all three meal services.

Just curious----Was the Sunset on time?

It has apparently gotten better about that---it is of special concern to me.

Glad to hear that so many people were on it.

Bill Haithcoat:

Good question. The Sunset Limited is supposed to get into New Orleans (from the west) at about 8:30 pm. It finally arrived at 11:45 pm, which is a bit unusual these days. It tends to be 2 hours late. Looking out the window, the delays seem to be a combination of very slow speeds on some bad tracks in places, and freight congestion. The huge mob exiting the train cleaned out the taxi supply at NOL station.

I was in coach with a new rider (on business like myself) who was confused and concerned over the delays. I comforted him by saying two hours was typical. I further explained that, even with the delays and the need for flexibility, I still prefer Amtrak, as it is "cheap luxury," and I like meeting the people, who are much more interesting the airport people.

He agreed, as we shared a long-awaited taxi to our hotels. The new rider explained he would not be using Amtrak again, because the delays are to unpredictable. Nevertheless, he enjoyed the novelty of the trip, and agreed with my assessment of the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back