Long Station Dwell Times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's similar to the way on say, a greyhound bus, that the driver typically only opens the front door for getting off at the final stop, even if there is a second door. It gives him the opportunity to stand around nonchalantly and hope passengers remember to give him a tip.
What Greyhound buses have more than one door? I certainly never remember riding on any.

This also happens, of all places, in Washington DC for trains stopping at the lower level or tracks 7, 8 15 or 16 on the upper level. Of course, if it's a through train, the station dwell time will be long enough because they're switching locomotives, but it's quite something about how long it takes to unload a fully packed Northeast Regional arriving from the north when only 2 or 3 doors of an 8 car train are open. For an interesting comparison, the MARC conductors make it their business to open all the doors when they come in on the low platforms in Washington, but the Amtrak conductors don't. It may take a little while, because there are only 2 or 3 conductors, but the trains unload faster than they would if only 2-3 doors were open.
Of course a lot of that has to do with the fact that MARC passengers are, generally, not traveling with 3 suitcases and 4 children and 90 year old Grandma, all of which require "assistance".

The real solution to the problem in Washington Union Station is to build high level platforms on a few tracks at the lower level so that there can be level boarding as required by ADA. That is in the plans. Meanwhile it is unlikely that the situation will improve a lot.

Since the OP had to do with the Silver(s) in Florida - it should be noted (as mentioned in another thread) that a bridge was damaged and delays were caused to all rail traffic while the bridge was shored up ... there could still be delays since that line seems to be well used
Are you talking of the bridge in Melbourne? That bridge carries no Amtrak and indeed no passenger train yet, so literally no effect at all from it to any Florida passenger service, and marginal effect on FEC freight traffic. The bridge was repaired and put back into full service yesterday (6/6/21)

A couple of articles I saw seemed to say that the rerouting of freight trains when the bridge was first hit caused delays not "directly" related to that line since they apparently rerouted some trains to other lines - at first.

Did they remove the stuff they stacked on the road under the bridge when they fixed it - or is that the fix? (I don't live close enough o go take a look - nearly 200 miles and 3 hours driving)

. I don't recall waiting time on the LSL except on #49/449 when everything gets wrapped up in CLE or TOL and we have to 'wait time' to leave. On other LD trains, I've noticed it maybe several times per year. Having a scanner tuned in keeps me abreast of what's happening.

For the LSL ever stop between NYP to CHI now has wait times posted. All are at least 3 minutes except Bryn OH is only 2 minutes.
Amtrak 49 (6/7) (transitdocs.com)

I know there are times when the SM just sits at JAX after all are aboard for what seems no apparent reason. They have already added water or any other service they were going to do and all doors are shut .... then

The Auto Train goes barreling by - running a little "off scedule"

And, it becomes apparent why the Meteor was just sitting there since it starts pulling away as soon as the AT passes

That may be - but I have been there when the SM sat for longer than the scheduled time while evidently waiting for the AT to go past ... I have also been there when the AT went by before the SM ever got there - when that was the case the SM did not wait any longer than scheduled.

For the LSL ever stop between NYP to CHI now has wait times posted. All are at least 3 minutes except Bryn OH is only 2 minutes.
Amtrak 49 (6/7) (transitdocs.com)

Most of those wait times aren't on the public timetable, though. When I'm the only one getting off in Elyria, the stop is so quick that occasionally the train records the same time for arrival and departure.

Most of those wait times aren't on the public timetable, though. When I'm the only one getting off in Elyria, the stop is so quick that occasionally the train records the same time for arrival and departure.
The one and only good thing about the new electronic schedules is they do show the scheduled dwell. Elyria, for example shows a 4 minute scheduled dwell for the westbound LSL, arrive 4:14 am, depart 4:18 am.

The one and only good thing about the new electronic schedules is they do show the scheduled dwell. Elyria, for example shows a 4 minute scheduled dwell for the westbound LSL, arrive 4:14 am, depart 4:18 am.

Oh, I see now that the departure times are the same, but the arrival times are also shown, that is nice. The schedule could definitely be tightened, especially the dwell times in Toledo and Albany. I think it's intentionally lengthened to avoid departing or arriving in New York between 4-6 p.m.

A couple of articles I saw seemed to say that the rerouting of freight trains when the bridge was first hit caused delays not "directly" related to that line since they apparently rerouted some trains to other lines - at first.

Did they remove the stuff they stacked on the road under the bridge when they fixed it - or is that the fix? (I don't live close enough o go take a look - nearly 200 miles and 3 hours driving)
They have removed the stuff from the road but the road was not open for traffic Monday afternoon. They replaced the broken girder with another similar one from another bridge that is being dismantled as part of the rebuilding project. They moved the broken girder over to the missing track position.

Oh, I see now that the departure times are the same, but the arrival times are also shown, that is nice. The schedule could definitely be tightened, especially the dwell times in Toledo and Albany. I think it's intentionally lengthened to avoid departing or arriving in New York between 4-6 p.m.
That and "recovery time" otherwise known as pad.

This discussion jinxed me, I just had a 1 hour 10 minute dwell time in Pittsburgh. Still doesn't beat my personal record of 5 years ;)

That may be - but I have been there when the SM sat for longer than the scheduled time while evidently waiting for the AT to go past ... I have also been there when the AT went by before the SM ever got there - when that was the case the SM did not wait any longer than scheduled.
Presumably the Meteor was running late. If both the Meteor and the AT are running on time northbound, the AT should be running behind the Meteor all the way. The Auto Train is due into Sanford around 9am. The Meteor is due into Alexandria at around 6:35am.

South bound Texas Eagle at Marshal, TX. Still doing multiple stops here, one to hand throw a switch, one stop for crew, and sleeper pax, one for the coach pax. There does seem to be some work ongoing in the area, so maybe it will improve. This might make more sense with the LAX bound length of train, but a little capital fund and the time saved would justify it.

Back